Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

My Frontal Shot Experience

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 01, 2018 •  [Post 1]

In the interest of science, and since the seasons are all over, I figured I'd share my first experience with the frontal shot this fall. I know this conversation can be heated, but we're all adults on here, well... mostly... *cough* *cough* *Rj* *cough* :lol:

Pertinent Info:
- November 11th, 2017
- Texas.
- Brush blind and ASAT leafy suit.
- 70 lb @ 33" Toelke longbow, 34" Easton Axis shafts, 75 gr inserts, BAR adapter ring, and 190 gr Simmons Tree Sharks

What went down:
- 3:45 pm, whitetail doe comes by at Mach 3 while I'm outside the blind, trimming a new shooting lane (I fidget a lot)
- 3:45 pm + 5 seconds, I deduce something must be chasing said doe, which passed me at 4 yards, and thus execute a fire drill to get back to my bow which is IN the blind
- 3:45 pm + 10 seconds, antlers coming my way FAST, arrow yanked from quiver, fumbling to get nock on the string
- 3:45 pm + 15 seconds, nock clicks as I swing right on my seat, and a buck slams on the brakes a foot from the broadhead at the end of my arrow
- 3:45 pm + 16 seconds, I decide he is big enough to shoot, that I am confident in trying a frontal shot, and begin to draw. Buck just stares at me.
- 3:45 pm + 17ish seconds, arrow is at anchor, buck still staring, pretty sure my heart just stopped, and an arrow sprouts from his chest!
- 3:45 pm + 19 seconds, I watch the back staggering all over the place as he tries to run, last sight is at 30-40 yards

Recap (A.K.A. pictures):

At 40 yards I find this:

Whitetail move SOOOO fast, this is the entry. He was already ducking when the arrow hit him:

And the exit, remember the ducking part of it? The broadhead got into the chest cavity, but cut its way out the elbow:

What I learned, and why this worked, as best I can figure:
- The shot is deadly as all get out, if you can hit the pocket. I'm going to say MY max range on deer for this shot is about 3-5 yards, and 12-15 yards for elk.
- It isn't just about being able to drive tacks, but you also must consider how fast animals can do the Stop Drop and Roll. This buck turned 90 degrees into 45 in .02 seconds.
- I wouldn't take this shot with a small broadhead. In fact, I'm hesitant to take it again with a 2 blade, even one with a 2" diameter. What happens if it hits while vertical?
- You aren't getting both lungs with this, ever, and you're best off intending to take out the arteries/veins above the heart. Big 2 blades w/bleeders, or big 3 blades only.
- Big broadhead means you need some major firepower! (I got 20-22" of penetration) Even the best shot can/will hit some smaller bones so be prepared for hatchet work
- I can't wait for my next chance (in my boundaries) to take this shot!!!

Hopefully this helps someone make a more informed decision some time next season!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Re: My Frontal Shot Experience

Postby Swede » 02 01, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Nice buck Malachi. Your arrow did its job. Hard to criticize anything here. Congratulations.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 01, 2018 •  [Post 3]

My dughter killed her first deer with a frontal , the arrow nearly exited . The deer stiff legged 10 feet and dropped
I ve killed a few deer and antelope with a rifle frontal , Always a bit of angle and never opened the gut :o
Killed my first ( and only) Idaho and Montana bulls with frontal's rifle shots, took out main arteries, But I put a 2nd shot into each of them nearly instantly.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 01, 2018 •  [Post 4]

"The shot is deadly as all get out, if you can hit the pocket." Yes sir, that "is" the key. IMO and experience, it is a closer range shot (think the size of a baseball for deer and a softball for elk) but it is as Malachi has shown, deadly for sure. Nicely done mister and a dandy TX WT buck! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby T.B. » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Nice buck....the impressive part for me is a70# longbow. The big Broadhead obviously did its job
T.B.

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Wow, what a hole!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Yes I moved this thread from the elk forum to Orher Big Game. It doesn’t pertain to elk hunting. From that far I could have killed that deer with lots of weapons including rifle calibers lighter than one would use at longer distances because of retained energy at the muzzle. Its a thin skinned small boned animal. Deer don’t barrel down the side of a heavily timbered north slope on one lung with gallons of blood to spare. It’s one thing to kill an elk and another to find them.

For every successful frontal shot there’s an unsuccessful one. I don’t take risks when taking lives. I’ll stop there.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer wrote:Yes I moved this thread from the elk forum to Orher Big Game. It doesn’t pertain to elk hunting.

Hey Joe, you're a mod and I respect your decision to move the thread. I'll freely admit that it is a deer in the photos, not an elk. But I think you were a little quick on the trigger and that my thoughts are pertinent to elk hunters. I know for a fact there are many on this site who will take the frontal shot under the right circumstances and I was trying to lay out my thoughts on the matter. I think they are relevant, and would like a chance to more clearly express that which I obviously failed to in my original post.

Indian Summer wrote:Deer don’t barrel down the side of a heavily timbered north slope on one lung with gallons of blood to spare. It’s one thing to kill an elk and another to find them.

You're quite right! As I stated above, the goal is to take out the heart or arteries, not lungs. If you are attempting a true frontal shot (no hindquarters visible) you will never get more than one lung with your arrow or bullet. I'd humbly suggest that the frontal shot may be far more effective with a large broadhead, than a bullet. An opinion which, if validated by reasoning and logical deduction, explains your personal woes with the shot (apologies for creeping, but I went back and read several old threads on this topic today).

This is a bold claim, so let me explain my rationale. We can kill an elk quickly and cleanly in 3 ways:
1. destroy the central nervous system (a very poor option with a bow).
2. Suffocation by rendering both lungs inoperable. As discussed, this is not a good option with the frontal shot.
3. Massive, catastrophic blood loss. Severing major arteries will put an elk down faster than anything but a brain or spine shot with a rifle.

This third option, is our only option on the frontal shot, and a viable one at that. Nowhere else on an animal are more arteries and veins clustered than just above the heart. However, a bullet is not designed to sever arteries, but to induce massive traumatic shock to soft tissues. I believe that a bullet will often miss the arteries completely due to it's small diameter, if it does not actively force them aside with the front running shock wave from impact. Either way, it won't slice them, unless it damn near dead centers them. Naturally, if one hits the heart itself, as Lefty has done, it still kills the animal. But if the bullet misses both the heart and aorta, or the carotid arteries, etc. it will not kill an elk quickly.

Now, if you read carefully above, I mention that I am a fan of massive broadheads if taking this shot. Lets set aside accuracy concerns, and assume we are all capable of waiting on a shot like this until it is an absolute chip shot. So close the elk cannot turn too far for the arrow to find the hole. And there is a hole. Anyone who has butchered enough elk cannot deny that fact. If we place an arrow into the sweet spot, we are counting on the broadhead slicing one of the veins, and producing a blood bath. What better way to maximize chances than by shooting a wide, cut on contact broadhead? I actually don't give a whit about getting full penetration here, I care about slicing a massive gash at a minimum 10-12 inches into the chest cavity.

All these thoughts stemmed from my first chance on a whitetail deer, but they apply to elk, and unfortunately this thread will not be seen by many people in this particular sub forum. Are there caveats to what I just laid out? Of course! There are caveats when discussing long range shooting, shooting elk with a .270, or even a 338 Win Mag!
Suppose I miss my spot (which is at least as large as a grapefruit), or suppose I hit heavy bone?

I will happily address both those issues, but this specific post is getting too long winded.

One last thing:
Indian Summer wrote:For every successful frontal shot there’s an unsuccessful one. I don’t take risks when taking lives. I’ll stop there.

Do you hunt turkeys with a bow? Or think it is wrong for others to do so? The kill zone on a turkey is smaller than the frontal shot I took on that buck at the top of the page.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Indian Summer » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 9]

You’re reading too deep into it Trumpkin. The frontal experience was simply an encounter with a deer. Therefore this is the appropriate forum.

There’s no question animals can be killed with frontal shots. But if you review other threads here you’ll see guys who have killed many deer asking what setup should I use for elk or what rifle is sufficient for elk.

One thing to consider about shots where your goal is to hit something much smaller than lungs such as an artery is that there is much less margin for error. Having that deer a foot from your broadhead significantly decreased the chances to have an error. Also when the deer was at point blank range the possibility of jumping string is insignificant. But when a deer or elk is further away the sound of the release travels much faster than the arrow which is why animals commonly react before the impact. They can easily drop the entire height of their body prior to the arrow hitting it’s mark. Other times they spin to run in the opposite direction. They can certainly move more than the width of an artery. Your situation was ideal. You have a very effective setup and broadhead too. But I’m sure you’d agree that that type of shot opportunity is pretty rare and not everyone is using a broadhead is wicked as that one!
Indian Summer

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Indian Summer wrote:You’re reading too deep into it Trumpkin. The frontal experience was simply an encounter with a deer. Therefore this is the appropriate forum.

There’s no question animals can be killed with frontal shots. But if you review other threads here you’ll see guys who have killed many deer asking what setup should I use for elk or what rifle is sufficient for elk.

One thing to consider about shots where your goal is to hit something much smaller than lungs such as an artery is that there is much less margin for error. Having that deer a foot from your broadhead significantly decreased the chances to have an error. Also when the deer was at point blank range the possibility of jumping string is insignificant. But when a deer or elk is further away the sound of the release travels much faster than the arrow which is why animals commonly react before the impact. They can easily drop the entire height of their body prior to the arrow hitting it’s mark. Other times they spin to run in the opposite direction. They can certainly move more than the width of an artery. Your situation was ideal. You have a very effective setup and broadhead too. But I’m sure you’d agree that that type of shot opportunity is pretty rare and not everyone is using a broadhead is wicked as that one!

Fair enough. I got a little frustrated that you moved the thread, and I shouldn't have. The encounter with the buck is what got me thinking about all this, and I wanted to share backstory. I should have just written my thoughts out for elk only, and been done with it.

I think there's a valid discussion to have though, surrounding equipment and shot placement. There's a need to think through the choices we make about our gear and shot selections. I've had experience with elk, and a shot that took out the aforementioned arteries. The bull only lasted 5 seconds, and the light went on in my brain. At the end of the day, what I am thinking and saying really only applies to guys who already have the capability to both make the frontal shot, and know the right circumstances to take it. They can read how wired the elk is, recognize the right spot to aim, and stay calm under pressure. At that point, we can address the failures that people bring up with the shot. Especially gear failures.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Indian Summer » 02 03, 2018 •  [Post 11]

That all makes perfect sense to me. Gear and circumstances are the key. That and an acute understanding of animal anatomy. It’s the things we cannot control that control the outcome. String jump mainly.

I have a question for you or anyone who cares to chime in. What would you say is the maximum range you would consider acceptable for a frontal shot?

I’ll add one more thing. If a hunter has killed two animals with frontal shots.... or any shot mind you.... remember there are guys who take ass shots because severing the femoral artery is fatal for sure.... then you would be 2 for 2 or 100% and why wouldn’t one consider it a high percentage opportunity based on their own experience. But it’s as important to consider the many experiences of others. Heck yeah other people have dropped elk and deer in their tracks with frontals but many have not. Lots of hunters have made what looked like perfect shots only to leave them scratching their head because the animal wasn’t recovered. That brings me to my point:

Inevitably the older you get the more seasons you’ll have under your belt and you’ll experience animals being shot and not found. Guys will go online with excitement and talk about successes but very few take the time to tell a detailed story about the animal they shot and never found. Those are the untold stories. People don’t share remorse like they do joy.

I’m sure veterans like Saddlesore will back me up when I say that if you are an ethical hunter, one who truly respects the animals you pursue and places a high value on the life they are attempting to take, you will be sick to the stomach with the thought of an elk laying in some unknown place rotting away. That feeling will have a long lasting affect on your future hunts as you will vow never to put yourself or the animal through that again. It will make you reevaluate your priorities and what you consider to be acceptable circumstances for a legitimate shot opportunity. People with limited time to hunt find it extremely hard to pass on what could be a chance to shoot the bull they’ve dreamed of all year long even if it’s a marginal opportunity. More than anyone I hate driving home with an unpunched tag and empty coolers. But it beats driving home with an image in my mind of a stinking half decayed bull elk piled up in the middle of some blowdowns where he felt safe to hide. I hope you never have to experience that.
Indian Summer

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 03, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Indian Summer wrote:I have a question for you or anyone who cares to chime in. What would you say is the maximum range you would consider acceptable for a frontal shot?

I mentioned this above, but I don't think it's a good shot past 10-15 yards for me (on elk). For deer, it's a 3-4 yard shot, max. Honestly, after our conversation I'm cutting my own limit to 10-12 yards under perfect circumstances. I think there are guys with quiet, fast compounds that *might* be able to make it work consistently at 20 yards. And yes, I'm including string jumping in that assessment.

Here in Texas, it is standard to aim at, or below, the chest line on whitetails because they are so wired. At the end of the day, I have to decide if the animal looks too hyper to risk the shot, and it's part of the process of being a hunter. We hunters are always taking calculated risks. If you look close enough at your own hunts, there are always elements outside your control, that have the potential to cause a death that is poor. As an example, my grandpa and I got on a bull track in the late season a few years back, and he jumped him from his bed in timber. As the elk walked away, my grandpa swung with him and squeezed till the shot went off. It just happened to go off when a tree was in the cross hairs. His 300 H&H drove a Barnes TSX through an 18" diameter pine, and into the bull (I saw the hole in the tree). Enough to draw blood, but not enough to kill it, at least while we stayed on it's tracks. He took a calculated risk, when he entered the timber, that the shot would be fast, or nonexistent, and a wounded elk was the result. I don't see anyone disparaging deep timber as a place to kill elk, or shooting a 300 H&H with 180 grain bullets, but the risk is there! At the end of the day, ethical hunting means minimizing the risks, and doing our best to correct the wrongs if something goes sideways.

I stand right with you in respecting animals above our own need for success. I look up to guys like you and Saddlesore because you do things right! I'm not trying to push risky shots here. Rather, I'm trying to minimize risk on shots I do take, and determine when they actually are a viable option.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Swede » 02 03, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Indian Summer wrote:I have a question for you or anyone who cares to chime in. What would you say is the maximum range you would consider acceptable for a frontal shot?

I have no desire to even hunt with someone that takes high risk shots, and limit myself to what I am confident will be very effective. Still I have missed and have wounded game. Things go wrong even under the best of circumstances. I have never tried a frontal or straight away rear shot on any animal. I know I can hit a target the size of an orange at 25 yards. To try that on a standing elk is bothering me more and more that I think about it. What works well in theory may not work so well in practice. I am starting to side with I.S. on this issue. I have not tried that shot in the past, and I am confident I can get one without trying it now.
In no way am I arguing against Malachi. If a person sizes up the situation and knows he/she can make it work, I am not debating the success.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 02 05, 2018 •  [Post 14]

First of a few post back,it was mentioned that a small diameter bullets make small holes and therefore less likely to kill,but a massive broad head will kill faster.Bullets themselves don't kill ,it is the massive internal hydrostatic shock that tears organs apart.Try shooting a filled water jug with a .223 and watch it explode.Same thing happens with lung shots.Normally they pour out like thick soup form a lung shot. Of course damaging the heart even with a small hole will make it stop. That is true whether it is damaged with a arrow or bullet .The bullet will contribute to much more total damage.It' s these guys using those Barnes bullets at lower velocities than they were designed for and pencil thru that see that.

A frontal shot on a deer is too risky,in my opinion. If the deer is turned even a little bit, the heart can be missed and the arrow slides by into the lungs and probably into the paunch.Since it would probably be one lung shot, it would mean a long tracking job at best and a non-recovered deer at most.Thinking about clipping the spin,that would be about a 1.5 " dia target. Go low and you run the chance of hitting the sternum and deflecting the arrow.Again an upward or downward shot would add greater risk.Why would anyone attempt these when the kill zone is s small in relation to a lung shot which is about 4 times the size. Think you can make a perfect shot 100% of the time.Probably not

Take those factors and apply to an elk and although a bigger heart an angled shot is even more at risk of hitting the heart, The sternum is tougher and the spine is further back.

I compare these frontal shots about the same way as these long range hunters shooting elk or deer at 800 yards or so .The smallest deviation from a perfect shot ends up in a wounded animal with less likelyhood of a recovery.

Years ago, I took a frontal shot with 7mag at little fork horn, maybe 60 yards away. Dead center,the deer just stood there.I put another one in him and he still didn't go down.I said screw it and waited.He finally fell over dead.When I gutted him out,it was soup from thru his lungs all the way back to the .What a nasty job that was.The two entrance wounds were an inch apart.The only other frontal shot I took was at a cow elk walking straight toward s me at about 80 yards. I was using a 50 cal ML, resting on shooting sticks. She dropped right there,four legs went up in the air, quivering.I didn't even reload. I was gathering up my gear when she jumped up and took off.NO blood, I looked for two days, never found her.I'll never take that shot again.
In your hunting career,you will remember instances like that long after you have forgotten all the good shots/kills you have made.The bad ones stick with you.
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 02 05, 2018 •  [Post 15]

You brought back a couple memories. When I was about 16 hunting deer I heard my brother’s.32 Winchester Special go off up over the hill. A few minutes later a buck came walking along. He was feeding calmy and eventually I got an opportunity and shot him broadside with my .30-.30 and down he went. My brother came bouncing down the hill and said it was the same buck he shot. Said he shot it at 15 yards straight in the middle of the chest. We looked for the bullet hole and were were shocked to see about a quarter inch of the back side of the Remington Core Lokt sticking out of the chest like a nipple. It had hit the sternum mushroomed and stopped dead. We looked at each other and said man that had to hurt. But it didn’t even come close to killing the small buck.

About 5 years later in the Bitterroot my brother had a really nice 6 point bull come straight in to 10 yards. He buried an arrow in it’s chest all the way up to the fletching. There were only 3 drops of blood and we never did find that poor bull.

About 10 years after that he shot at a 5 point bull and the aroow deflected off of a twig and literally sliced the bulls pecker right off. That bull walked stiff legged out of sight and we backed off. We found him dead an hour and a half later only 75 yards away. It’s not that big of a target compared to lungs but if you’re good THATS the shot to take!
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 02 05, 2018 •  [Post 16]

I shot a young 5x bullone year.Just as I pulled the trigger,he wheeled around. The bullet went thru a ham and directly thru both nuts.Damn that had to hurt. I cut across a small ridge where I thought he would go and caught him looking up a steep incline watching for me and that is where he dropped from another shot.

When I started to pull the trigger,the cross hairs were centered on his chest.Just shows how fast they can go and how good shot can go bad even with a rifle
saddlesore

Postby elkstalker » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I'll share my experience with a frontal shot on a deer. Shooting a 270 with 130 grain bullet. I was walking across a ridge to drop over to the other side when suddenly 2 bucks materialized from their beds in the sagebrush about 200 yards in front of me. I dropped to prone position resting my rifle on a rock outcrop and prepared for a shot. They both were staring right at me, head on. I settled in on the larger buck and debated the merits of the frontal shot. It was now or never, as any second they were going to turn and bolt. I decided to try the shot, I could tell it connected, and he wheeled around and took off. I fired again, missing the buck, he turned uphill and I fired again dropping him in his tracks. Upon examining the buck the first shot missed the "sweet spot" by about 2.5 inches, penetrating between sternum and shoulder, breaking 3 ribs but never entering the chest cavity. If I hadn't nailed one of the follow up shots this buck could have gone a long way, and suffered for a long time. It doesn't take much to miss the "sweet spot", and its definitely something to consider and know your comfort zone.
elkstalker

Postby Elkhunttoo » 03 01, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Shot a 5 point bull in 2016 (30-06, 180 grain) at 80 yards almost straight on. He went about 8 yards!! Great write up trumkin and well done on a nice buck.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Old school » 03 03, 2018 •  [Post 19]

With a rifle I'll take the frontal shot out to 200 yards - no problem at all.

With a bow - 25 yards is the max if I'm not shaking/wobbling my pin from shoulder to shoulder, chin to brisket. I'm breaking nocks at 30 yards with my broadheads, so accuracy isn't an issue. My thought is this - the frontal is equal to or more lethal than broadside, but you've got to know your limitations and how the animal is behaving - is it wired up tight or relaxed, slightly quartering or straight on, am I out of breath and my pin in bobbing around in a 12" circle, etc... Answer those and then decide shoot or no shot.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 03 12, 2018 •  [Post 20]

I had a client shoot a bull at 150 yards with a .30-06 straight on. The bull turned and ran over the hill. We looked in the sniw for about a half mile. Two times the bull gained elevation so we decided to go back and have dinner before continuing the search. We came back an hour and a half later and trailed him for 2 hours before deciding it was time to back iff and get some sleep.

The next day we trailed him for several hours over about a mile and a half. Then we came to a lip in a hill and when we stepped over he stood up in his bed and the hunter dropped him with a broadside shot at about 125 yards. Upon skinning him we saw that the bullet had entered off to the bulls right side and went in between the shoulder and the rib cage. So he had missed by about 8 inches but even the shock of the bullet expending all of it’s energy wasn’t enough to kill that small bull in 12 hours. Poor thing.
Indian Summer

Postby sasquatch » 03 13, 2018 •  [Post 21]

I've only killed 2 bulls. Just started elk hunting, but both were 20yds and in frontal shots. Not much tracking involved in either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blake
sasquatch

Postby scubohuntr » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Many, many years ago I was sitting in an open patch of oaks in Minnesota on opening day. Somebody moved on the other side of the swamp, and kicked up a nice 8-point buck. He came through the swamp and into the oaks, heading right at me. I could see the buck's eyes and the moment he realized I was there; whereupon he said, screw it, I'm going right over this guy. I put a 12 gauge Brenneke slug into the base of his neck just as he was coming down from the last jump before he would have gone over me, and he just folded up like a sack of soup, ten feet away. I'm not a fan of neck shots, but it was the only shot I had on this buck.
scubohuntr

Postby Swede » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 23]

I remember shooting two bulls with frontal shots. One was about 30 yards and killed with a 6.5 Swede. That bull went down on the spot, but I finished him off with a shot to the back of the neck. The other bull was about 60 yards away coming my way. I hit him with a 338 WM and a 250 gr bullet. That bull was cart wheeled and died immediately. I am no advocate of frontal shots, but range, and what you are shooting with are major factors. At 30 yards the large bull was easy enough, and at 60 yards the other bull no problem either with the 338WM.
Swede

Postby jmez » 03 22, 2018 •  [Post 24]

Haven't shot an elk with a frontal, though I would at 30 and under. I've taken several WT's with them and limit it to 20 on deer. No tracking involved with any of them. They go down fast, they also bleed everywhere. If you hit them correctly. I'm comfortable with the anatomy and the shot. I think the anatomy in a frontal is far more important than shooting ability if the distance is reasonable.

If you hit them correctly there isn't a more deadly shot in archery. If you don't then you likely won't recover them.

My hunting partner shot a cow frontal a few years back. Entered right at the thoracic inlet and about half of the arrow was sticking out the back of the ham. Shot completely through her. She ran about 50 yards, stopped and started looking around, blood pouring from her mouth and out the front. About 5s later she tipped over.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Roosiebull » 03 23, 2018 •  [Post 25]

First off, a HUGE congrats to you trumpkin! Both cool and impressive.

You made a decision and it worked out well, you executed the shot.

Frontal shots, I have passed a few, including point blank, and took it once at 18yds. It was devastating.

I like the shot in perfect conditions, for me, perfect conditions are limited to inside 20 yds, and I have to have good composure. Those 2 things don't always line up, but if they do, I will take the shot with confidence.

Again, well done!
Roosiebull