Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado RFW

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado RFW

Postby Rooster00 » 03 05, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Does anyone have any experience with the participating ranches for 2018?

I'm interested in Three Forks, Snake River, and Big Gulch. These are freezer filler hunts for me since I won't be doing any of the usual high intensity solo hunts this year. I'm looking for opinions, good/bad of each, where to stay, people to avoid/talk to... If you have other ranches you think I should look at I welcome suggestions and reasoning, I'm looking for high success rates.

Anyone have insight?

Rooster00
Longmont, Colorado
Rooster00

Re: Colorado RFW

Postby Rooster00 » 03 05, 2018 •  [Post 2]

P.S. RFW = Ranching For Wildlife program in Colorado
Rooster00

Postby saddlesore » 03 05, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Only one recently I hunted was Silver Spur out of Walden and that was for moose They sure treated me right though. I have nevr heard any complaints about Three Forks or Snake River though.Not familiar with Big Gulch
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Rooster00 » 03 05, 2018 •  [Post 4]

saddlesore wrote:Only one recently I hunted was Silver Spur out of Walden and that was for moose They sure treated me right though. I have nevr heard any complaints about Three Forks or Snake River though.Not familiar with Big Gulch

Thanks for the feedback, how was the moose hunt? Any luck, I'm sitting on 3 points +9 weighted...
Rooster00

Postby saddlesore » 03 05, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Rooster00 wrote:
saddlesore wrote:Only one recently I hunted was Silver Spur out of Walden and that was for moose They sure treated me right though. I have nevr heard any complaints about Three Forks or Snake River though.Not familiar with Big Gulch

Thanks for the feedback, how was the moose hunt? Any luck, I'm sitting on 3 points +9 weighted...

I knew at my age ,my chance of drawing a bull moose tag was nil to none before my hunting days were done.So I put in for the RFW cow moose hunt 3pt, 16 weighted. Turns out I had a 1/2 % chance of drawing one of the two tags.

Got there Friday for the mandatory check in.Th foreman took me out at almost dark Friday night and showed me 6 black dots about 800 yards out in the meadows and willow thickets. He told me to park behind a certain group of trees and sit at this old log cabin until light when I could see the moose and walk out and shoot one.. Exactly what I did except one was only 500-600 yards.Took me about 15 minutes to walk out.The moose watch me about 1/2 the time.First shot was double lung.She took two steps and I shot again and she dropped.Two holes were about 2" apart. 30-06, 180 gr Partition. I went back to the truck and we drove in a semi circle to get thru the bogs/meadows. We put a rope on her and drug her out of a depression with the truck to filed dress her.1:00 was back in Walden icing her down. Real hard hunt!!! The foreman had told me if I couldn't get her out,he would bring a tractor and get her for me at no charge. She was one of the toughest big game animals I ever had to eat. 4 years ago and I still have some in the freezer.

Sad thing about ,the taxidermist lost the hide I wanted to get tanned and I had to file in the small claims court to at least get my deposit and court cost back. AlI I got was tough meat,the dulap(sp) and pictures.Kind a of a bucket list thing,I wanted to shoot a moose before I had to quit hunting.
I got home Sunday, pack up and left to go elk hunting on Monday. Killed a bull on Tuesday. Later in the year,I killed a whitetail buck and two pronghorn doe.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Welcome to the forum Rooster00. I was not paying attention to this thread as I know nothing about Colorado hunts, but I am glad I checked it anyway. Feel welcome to pull up a chair, or block of wood to the campfire here, and join in any conversation going on. There is always something being discussed. Anyway it is good to have you at the W.T. camp.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby baddaddy » 03 11, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Rooster00, what are you hunting? Ive hunted Big Gulch and Deacons for elk and Visintiner for Antelope. I don't know how Big Gulch is now as I hunted it about 15 years ago. It was great then and I was always into elk. Deacons not so great. Antelope on Visintiner was great as well.
baddaddy