Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hawaiian mouflon hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hawaiian mouflon hunting

Postby Scott69 » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Has anyone every drawn a hunt on Lanai for mouflon or axis deer?I put in for a muzzleloader hunt for mouflon sheep and I don't think the draw odds are bad.Was curious what the terrain is like on state land.If spotting scopes are useful or if binos are adequate.
Looked like an interesting hunt and my wife wants a trip to Hawaii. Think if your drawn,your given a 3 day weekend for your hunt.Wife would probably not even realize I went hunting,lol
Scott69

Re: Hawaiian mouflon hunting

Postby Lefty » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 2]

A buddy hunted sheep or goats on one of the islands while in the Marines. He said it was a fun easy hunt
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Scott69 » 04 27, 2018 •  [Post 3]

definitely alot of goats and pigs there,and they're hunted year round I think.Mouflon hunt and axis deer are draw hunts on the state ground.I'm guessing your friend hunted goats.Curious if anyone ever did the state land hunts on Lanai?Maybe ask your buddy if you still talk.Want to make sure a fun hunt.Kind of a long flight for me,but my wife would love it
Scott69

Postby tikka » 05 01, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I went on an Axis deer hunt on Lanai and goats on Oaho in mid 90's. The axis guide was a State Game and Fish employee and we hunted State land. Lots of fun, I thought it was cool having to put sunscreen on to go deer hunting. I got a respectable 28" deer. Awesome meat!! The goat hunt was on a ranch, I shot three billies from a group. I kept the backstraps and gave the rest to my ex inlaws neighbor, they cooked up an awesome meal.

I would love to go back, great thing about hunting there is easy to convince wife to go, I will go hunt, you enjoy the beach!!
tikka

Postby Lsb » 05 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

It looks like there's a good chance I'll have to go to a conference in Honolulu in February of 2020. I can't think of any good reason to go to Hawaii except hunting. So if I have to go I might as well try to hunt. I haven't really started looking into it much but I'll take any advice.
Lsb