Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Pronghorn!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Pronghorn!

Postby Tigger » 05 24, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Just completed my app for my daughter and I for Pronghorn in 2018. If successful, we can bring home 5 goats (2 for me and 3 for her).

I don't want to wish summer away, but I am already looking forward to it. Who am I kidding, I DO want to wish summer away. :D
Tigger

Re: Pronghorn!

Postby Navesgane » 05 25, 2018 •  [Post 2]

What state and choice of weapon?
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Lefty » 05 27, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Congratulations!!!!!
A fantastic hunt with kids. You spend time together, can stay in a heated or air conditioned cab and spend the days driving around and seeing game!

One suggestion. Antelope is very good meat. Quarter or cut up and get it cold on site.

Minnesota was my home state and too many, often complained about, "nasty antelope taste". At that time many would shoot their antelope, gut, toss them in the back of the pickup and drive 800 miles on hot September of October days and expect decent table fare.

We use to head for Wyoming and shoot two does.
15 years ago in Wyoming

Antelopehunt109-04Small2.jpg
Antelopehunt109-04Small2.jpg (45.77 KiB) Viewed 6749 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 05 28, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Wyoming and rifle. Going to the same spot as our epic adventure last year. The meat is great, I agree. It will be over a school break so later in the season than most people hunt. Cmon fall what is taking so long??
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 06 05, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Keep us updated when the hunt happens
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 06 29, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Lefty wrote:Congratulations!!!!!
A fantastic hunt with kids. You spend time together, can stay in a heated or air conditioned cab and spend the days driving around and seeing game!

One suggestion. Antelope is very good meat. Quarter or cut up and get it cold on site.

Minnesota was my home state and too many, often complained about, "nasty antelope taste". At that time many would shoot their antelope, gut, toss them in the back of the pickup and drive 800 miles on hot September of October days and expect decent table fare.

There was a fellow on another popular forum that everyone hung on his every word about everything as gospel. He tried to take me to task when I commented to get the hide off and cool as fast as you can, especially those stinky bucks.I shoot a few does every December in eastern CO that have been feeding on winter wheat or Haygrazer sorghum hay.About the only thing better eating in terms of wild game is Bighorn sheep
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 07 02, 2018 •  [Post 7]

you are right on Saddlesore, get that hide off!! But be careful doing it. That hair comes out so easy, you can really get a lot of it on your meat in a hurry and pretty soon you have sage-y tasting meat! We some some knuckleheads driving around with their pronghorn and the hide was still on. It almost brought a tear to my eye.
Tigger

Postby Tigger » 07 02, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Oh, and we did get drawn and are all set to go. Fall? Fall? FALL????? Come on Fall, get with the program and hurry up already!
Tigger

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Tigger wrote:Oh, and we did get drawn and are all set to go. Fall? Fall? FALL????? Come on Fall, get with the program and hurry up already!

I expect to be taken along for the full story. Good luck and should be a great hunt. Hoping one day I can share hunts like this one with my daughter
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Tigger » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Sounds like a fair trade Brent! ND muley story and WY antelope story. I just hope we both have great stories to tell!
Tigger

Postby elkstalker » 07 05, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Love antelope meat, in my opinion well taken care of antelope is one of the best there is.
elkstalker

Postby Lsb » 07 09, 2018 •  [Post 12]

We eat a bunch of antelope, get it cool and skinned asap and you can't beat it.
Lsb

Postby Lsb » 07 16, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Draw for archery is out, got mine
Lsb

Postby Lsb » 08 19, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Headed out for an afternoon hunt
Lsb

Postby Tigger » 10 15, 2018 •  [Post 15]

We leave Wednesday morning for Wyolope II (that is our second Wyoming Antelope hunt). Good news/bad news from talking to the rancher. He said antelope are down, but nobody has been in our area this year. #1, #2, and #3 goals are for my daughter to shoot her first buck.

Swept out the enclosed trailer and started putting stuff together yesterday. Bringing a generator and space heater to keep the trailer warm, hope that is enough. It worked for a ND pheasant hunt I was recently on. Bringing a freezer for the meat.

For those that are into such things, our bang sticks are:

Daughter: Ruger American .243 with a Leupold VX3 shooting TTSXs
Me: Browning Xbolt 7mm-08 with a Leupold VX3 shooting 140 gr TSXs
Tigger

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 23, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Tigger, How was the trip to ND? Im looking to get out this weekend and have heard numbers are similar to last year....not good. Finally done with a work trip that took me away from my bow and dog. Looking to get out this weekend for both.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Tigger » 10 23, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I started a new thread on it. I am really pressed for time this week, but am writing installments as I can. check it out.....
Tigger