Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bear just wouldn't leave, and one normal bear

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bear just wouldn't leave, and one normal bear

Postby ishy » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I have been getting a couple baits ready for friends coming from out of state. Saturday I had a bear climb the tree above our site and get pissed. It was woofing, popping teeth and drooling. I would leave and come back and it wouldn't get out of the tree. I had come to far to leave the bait not on the pile with tree stands already up. I thought about dumping bait under a drooling hangry bear, but didn't seem safe. I had my bow and a target (haven't shot broadheads yet thinking I had at least a week before my buddies tagged out) back in the trooper. I was starting to think this could happen! So I hoofed it back shot a couple broadheads to make sure everything was good and ran back into my bait. Sure enough it was still in the tree snapping and woofing. So I hooked up my trusty clip shot to my video camera and set it up on a branch. I had a great angle and let it have it. It proceeded to climb farther up the tree before stretching one leg, two and then tipping backwards and crashing all the way to the ground!
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Re: Bear just wouldn't leave

Postby wawhitey » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Well lets see him
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 3]

At least you still have a bear showing up.
I had a number of bait locations out for 4 a nd 6 weeks , never got hit by bears .
My old standby location,been feeding the same baers for years, last week the plan was to take the chocolate bear and if the black looked good maybe that one. too
Check the trail cam,.. in 5 days only daylight pics of nothing. Not much bait gone but all the apples and marshmallows were gone.
about 3500 missing pics :evil: and it was apparent where someone had been parking near my bait. I suspected a year ago,.. they were deleting pics and hunted the bait. I pulled my bait and camera,..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 4]

WP_20180613_6999.jpg
WP_20180613_6999.jpg (616.44 KiB) Viewed 4050 times
ishy

Postby wawhitey » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Good job man, pretty cool to shoot UP at a bear without the use of hounds.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby pointysticks » 06 14, 2018 •  [Post 6]

that is a great story. you ran back to the isuzu and did some broadhead testing?! that is amazing..even if they flew 4" right at 20, you could compensate on the bear..haha.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pointysticks » 06 14, 2018 •  [Post 7]

is that bear male?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ishy » 06 16, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Old female, initial check they thought 20 years old! Very worn teeth, every canine was flat, fur got almost white closer you got to the skin.
ishy

Postby ishy » 06 16, 2018 •  [Post 9]

So we do the pick a spot thing on elk a lot on here, I had a buddy hit a great bear (350+ lbs) couple days ago tight to the shoulder half way up that we tracked a mile the next day and lost. I have made the same shot with video evidence of on what would be a perfect shot for deer and elk; broad side, half way up, on the shoulder line out of a tree stand that was never recovered. Reading online there are bear guides in Canada that have guys aim half way back! They say that a huge majority of the bears their clients loose are shot too far forward. The thought is the thoracic cavity on predators is a lot farther back. After what I have seen personally I won't ever aim for right behind the shoulder on a bear again, I don't know about half way back but it won't on the shoulder line. If what I have seen is true (I get there are tons of variables with every shot) every target company out there is making a big mistake, and causing lots of bad shots. On 3D targets every ten ring is mostly in front of that shoulder line. What do you guys think?
ishy

Postby ishy » 06 24, 2018 •  [Post 10]

So still had bears hitting and all my usual partners just keep leaving town so I had to go sit again. Saw this one about 80 yards out for just a second. After about 5-6 minutes another one started in behind me, but wouldn't show itself. So I had to keep my head on a swivel for about 10-12 minutes waiting to see which would show themselves first. The first bear popped out on the bait and looked great! I still waited a little, got my video camera set, wondered if the second bear was bigger or would show itself. Soon I realized it would be getting dark quickly and this is a great bear. Hit it great, ran twenty yards and did the death moan. It is another super old female-I know doesn't look like it. Taxidermist didn't believe me when I told him it was a female. Teeth are worn down to the gums.
wp_20180622_22_05_09_pro-1- (1).jpg
wp_20180622_22_05_09_pro-1- (1).jpg (100.39 KiB) Viewed 3993 times
ishy