Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Blacktail Deer.....Tips and Tactics Thread

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Blacktail Deer.....Tips and Tactics Thread

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 08, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Well, who targets these grey ghosts? Share a tip on hunting these nocturnal beasts, or, ask a question.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Blacktail Deer.....Tips and Tactics Thread

Postby Swede » 08 09, 2018 •  [Post 2]

After reading an article in Outdoor Life many years ago, I have had some success in rifle season zigzaging back and forth, walking up or down slope, on the top of ridges, and looking down slope for the critters. I killed a big four point (western count) that way. Often the bucks are standing in the timber and seem to look down hill. That looking downslope may be an observation based on coincidence.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 09, 2018 •  [Post 3]

While living in Washington I killed an old huge bodied buck still huntingI I passed on bunches of bucks and became obsessed with one buck the last few years
My Success was hunting places other hunters avoided. Thick and nasty, deep and steep. My style.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 08 26, 2018 •  [Post 4]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Well, who targets these grey ghosts? Share a tip on hunting these nocturnal beasts, or, ask a question.

Rifle or bow?

Tactics vary a lot
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 27, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Hey Roosie. Aren't you supposed to be on top of a mountain calling elk this morning? :D

Let's go with either bow or rifle, or, perhaps general tips and tactics that perhaps apply to both styles/times of the season.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 09 14, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I have found sitting and glassing 3-4 year old clear-cuts can be productive. New clear-cuts can be good when they are freshly burned, especially during a rain storm. They will bed down right in the open.
Swede

Postby lamrith » 09 15, 2018 •  [Post 7]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Well, who targets these grey ghosts?

I call trademark infringement.
Coues Deer are the Grey ghosts.

Blacktail are just flat out ninja's.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Swede » 09 16, 2018 •  [Post 8]

lamrith wrote:I call trademark infringement.Coues Deer are the Grey ghosts.

I don't know about who is infringing. I have heard and read of Backtails as the "grey ghosts" for as long as I can remember. I did not know Coues deer were also grey ghosts.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 10 08, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Gonna try to start in the morning, depending on how I react to the time change, gonna get home after midnight.

Rifle hunting, I hunt how I like hunting, and that is glassing cuts. When it's really blowing, you need to find cuts protected from the wind a little at least, this is a very good time to kill a big one.

The morning after a big storm is the BEST, especially from Oct 20 and on, frosty mornings on the coast are rare, but are amazing, when the sun hits them, they just stand up.

I think the couple days surrounding the 20th are special, I see more big bucks in those few days, than any other time frame I can pin down. Saw a giant shot the 19th, bluebird day. Saw another monster wandering the 19th, also sunny, 10am. 2 yrs ago I saw 2 studs on the 21st, both tearing up trees, 60 degrees and sunny, one at 11am and another at noon. Those are days I like to be in the woods.

Last year I shot my buck around the 14th? It was kind of early, spotted him bedded around 9:30am, in the bottom of a cut, in the one little patch of shade that stayed the whole time I watched him. Finally shot at around 11, when he finally got up after the sun was about to hit him. Warm and sunny... new spot to me, but this one draw in this cut, I knew was prime buck habitat, just perfect, and he was really in a cool little spot. Don't give up too early. I see lots of bucks from 9-11am.

I hunt evenings as well, but I like hunting spots I know bucks are using (by seeing sign) and sitting until dark, and that's when they show up when they do, unless it's raining.

High quality glass is huge. I now have 2 pairs of swaros, they are so nice. I spotted plenty of deer with gold rings, etc, but the alpha glass is way better, and I do spot deer I didn't before, for sure.

I prefer wet weather, but at the tail end of really wet weather, I like being able to glass without getting the binos wet right away.

If I think others may walk in on me, I will start in early, and pass up some ground so I have some time to work before others show up.

Mainly I seek out quiet spots where I have no competition, I like not feeling rushed. It's not likely to find big bucks in heavily hunted areas, at least in the daylight.

I love blacktail hunting, it's a nice change after the chaos of archery elk
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 09, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Good stuff Roosiebull. I’m still learning about these grey ghosts. I have noticed also that the mature bucks keep well in cover during daylight hours, only creeping out into feeding areas after the does and lesser bucks have exposed themselves.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 10 09, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Roosie, when if ever do you watch trails? You have made more of a science of Blacktail deer hunting than I ever did.
I noticed that hunting them was better right after a storm, but immediately before could be productive, as they were moving when the wind started to pick up. During a steady rain I like to walk around in open timber to look for them.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 10 10, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:Roosie, when if ever do you watch trails? You have made more of a science of Blacktail deer hunting than I ever did.
I noticed that hunting them was better right after a storm, but immediately before could be productive, as they were moving when the wind started to pick up. During a steady rain I like to walk around in open timber to look for them.

I only watch trails during late archery season when I hunt them with my bow, which is effective.

I generally rifle hunt them (last year I archery hunted them was 13' when I killed my dream buck)

When rifle hunting, I do what I enjoy, which is picking apart country with my glass. I don't hunt certain bucks often, I hunt places I like hanging out in, knowing there is at least a mature buck or 2 around.

I know lots of the season is just being out there, and trying to not kill a 3.5yr old 3 point, and the best comes from the 18th on, but any day, a big buck could be anywhere, they don't follow rules, so I utilize exposure, always just a matter of time with a little strategy.
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 10 10, 2018 •  [Post 13]

... and I'm not above killing a 3.5yr old 3 point :lol: I can usually pass them, but if they try getting away before I decide, that can tip me over the edge, like a cat with a mouse.
Roosiebull