Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Headin West Hunt Consulting December Special

Moderators: Lefty, Swede, Tigger, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Headin West Hunt Consulting December Special

Postby Indian Summer » 12 01, 2019 •  [Post 1]

It’s that time of year. Where are you hunting in 2020? Not sure? The same place that you DIDN’T kill a bull this past season? Instead how about having a plan where you can park the truck, pitch the tent, and go kill elk? Join us in the 10% club instead of having tag soup again next Thanksgiving.

From now until the end of the year I’ll give a 10% discount on all DIY elk hunting plans for Wyoming or Montana. Plans must purchased and paid for by 12/31 to receive the discount. For more information see the website. Feel free to PM with any questions. Happy Holidays pilgrims!

Joe Ferraro
www.headinwest.net
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Headin West Hunt Consulting December Special

Postby saddlesore » 12 01, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Prices???
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 12 02, 2019 •  [Post 3]

saddlesore wrote:Prices???

They vary based on logistics. A backpack only hunt is cheaper because they require more time, some special gear, and much more hard work. Not for everyone. A road side base camp is priced higher and a plan that’s an easy drive from town with elk less than 2 miles from the truck that also includes a location for an optional spike camp is as good as it gets and is the most expensive. Anyone can handle those hunts and be into bulls. That would be an accurate description of my personal hunting area. :D

That being said cost goes from $2500 to $3500. My Montana plans are all so similar that the cost for those is the same at $2500.

All plans include custom waterproof topo maps marked with all of the necessary details as well as a set of written instructions. Also all of my clients get unlimited consulting to make sure they are prepared to put their plan to good use. No such thing as elkless elk hunt!
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 12 02, 2019 •  [Post 4]

OK thanks
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 12 05, 2019 •  [Post 5]

People look at the cost in different ways. My most common clients are guys who have struck out 1-3 times, usually in Colorado, and know the value of being able to drive out, pitch a tent, and get right on elk. They’ve already burned thousands in gas and unpunched elk tags not to mention had some pretty depressing rides home. I strike out sometimes when I’m prospecting new areas. I’ll ride in, set up camp and hunt it for the better part of a week. Sometimes I kill elk. Sometimes I end up
Like those guys who struck out. It costs me time and money. Horses aren’t cheap and time is valuable. But when I find what I hoped to after doing the internet thing it’s fun. And the success rate of my hunters is 3 to 5 times higher than the ones you’ll find on the fish and game websites. The unit I hunt has a 17% success rate. Mine is right around 100!

The person who contacts me is usually a lot like me. A planner! He’s often the most motivated in gis group and ready to buy a plan. But sometimes he can’t get his partners on board and thanks me for my time and they go try to research and hunt areas on their own. I can’t help but smile a year later when I see familiar email addresses and a message saying we didn’t do well at all or we never saw a darn elk. At that point they are hooked on elk but want to find a place to call home. They don’t ask many questions. They already knew the cost before getting back to me but at that point it seems like a fair price on an insurance policy to filling their freezer and hanging antlers on the wall. For comparison a drop camp runs 2 grand. For the cost of two guys they could invest in a hunt plan AND a wall tent and be set. Not to mention the fact that drop camps mean shelling out the cash every year.

In addition to the topo maps and instructions I give them unlimited consulting. They sometimes call for years down the road as they learn and expand on their area. I love teaching guys who are eager to learn. It’s my favorite part of the business.
Indian Summer