Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Blacktail!!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Blacktail!!!!

Postby Roosiebull » 10 04, 2017 •  [Post 1]

It's blacktail season here right now, I'm rifle hunting them this year, and I start tomorrow.

Anyone else hunting them? If you are, share updates here...or even favorite hunts of the past, anything goes :lol:

As the season progresses, I will try to keep this updated...love this time of year, it's gonna be a good one, stay tuned :D
Roosiebull

Re: Blacktail!!!!

Postby olympushunt » 10 04, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I can't wait to see the pig you kill! I know you have your eye on one in particular. :D
You will score before i do as I have to wait until November to try. Good luck Rosie!!!
olympushunt

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 05, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Good luck! Looking forward to the updates.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Roosiebull » 10 05, 2017 •  [Post 4]

olympushunt wrote:I can't wait to see the pig you kill! I know you have your eye on one in particular. :D
You will score before i do as I have to wait until November to try. Good luck Rosie!!!

I wouldn't count on a monster, I am the most undisciplined trophy hunter there is :lol:

I do know of one, can't access the area yet, but hope I still have a tag when fire season is lifted. 2 yr old forkies are easy to pass, but those 3+yr old bucks tempt me every time, especially after a few days of hunting.....even more if they try to get away :lol:

I can watch a 3yr old 3 point and decide not to shoot....but if I see a 3 yr old 3 point, and he tries to get away before I decide to pass, it's like a switch goes off, haven't found a cure for that, haha.

I found a stud 4x4 last year a few days after I filled my tag, just scouting for this year, got within about 30 yds and watched him about 5 minutes before the wind deceived me....I think I will have a good chance at him if I can hold onto my tag awhile, i'm pretty certain he is well north of 140", second biggest buck I have seen in person.
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 10 05, 2017 •  [Post 5]

these ones always get me, mature but not big antlered, I can't help it. this buck was 5.5yrs old

Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 10 05, 2017 •  [Post 6]

day 1 was slow as I figured it would be, more of a sorting out day.

I am hunting with a buddy until Monday when he has to go in for shoulder surgery, and effectively ending his season, so he is top priority until then.

unlike elk hunting, I like deer hunting with others, when I hunt with others, we usually stick together and have double the glassing power, and whoever I am hunting with will be shooting any deer that get shot. I have never pulled the trigger myself when hunting with someone else, I will have my chances, and I love sharing the experience with others, especially people who are relatively new to it.

I will go out by myself when I have nobody to go with, or the weather is bad enough I know people won't want to be out in it all day, and those are very good days to be in the blacktail woods, and good raingear makes it very pleasant.

a buddy and I started in a spot we saw a really good buck the last week of elk season, of course at this point there has been a ton of human traffic, and patterns and locations have changed. we did a bunch of walking this morning for 2 does, but we dedicated the first hour, and best hour to our most recent intel, which didn't pan out.

after a bunch of walking, and little scattered pieces of the puzzle, we have a solid game plan for the morning, if my buddy can sit still and be patient, I think we will have a very good chance, also fresh lion and bear sign in the same zone to keep things interesting (I call the lions if one shows up, my buddy gets the bucks :D )

my buddy's father in law came in behind us today and decided to work the timber and found himself a little buck, so that was cool, he got it done pretty quick this year.

this evening was a different location (where the video above took place) it was really warm and windy, I think there were deer around, but it has really grown up, without many openings to spot them, but after walking up that stinking mountain to get in there, I wasn't leaving :lol:

I had one visitor tonight, early into my sit, I heard rustling brush, and heavy breathing and huffing and puffing....I was sure I had a bear below me in the black berries. being so thick, and I was at it's level, I decided to climb the hillside behind me and get a vantage, and create a little distance, I don't mind bears at all, but I still avoid startling them at point blank range if I can avoid it, just seems like common sense to give them respect.

as I start climbing the hill, i am happy I did, because it was really close, and slowly coming up. I get to the next little ledge, maybe only 10 yds, but enough, I sit back down. I pinpoint the sound, and look down, to my surprise, there is a shiny chunk of tan hide I see through the trees....it's just an elk :D by the color, I can tell it's a bull, and it puts it's head up and it's a spiker.

I enjoy the show from about 30 yds, then he comes up to where I was sitting a minute ago, looks around and hops up the steep bank I just climbed. I was sitting in the wide open in a patch of grass, he gets about 2 steps from me and looks up and whirls back down, stops at the bottom, looks around, and just continues feeding below me at 15ish yds, he finally fed to my left, and then came back up the hill about 30 yds from me, and straight into my wind, but didn't seem to care....pretty comical encounter, and a darn cool one....left me scratching my head though :D elk are funny animals, and there is NO figuring them out.

that's all I got so far, back at it first thing!
Roosiebull

Postby olympushunt » 10 06, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Sweet video. I agree....those big forkies are very pretty bucks. You can tell that is no 2.5 year old.
Nice work....I hope you have some more stories for us soon. I'm getting antsy. Keep after it!
olympushunt

Postby Swede » 10 06, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I suppose Blacktails should be easy to figure out, but I never have. I just stop and look and look, then move on. Do you guys have any special tips that make the search easier?
Anyway best wishes on your hunts.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 10 07, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Swede, it's like any other hunting, we each have ways we like to do it, plus a few other techniques that also work to fall back on.

I usually like to pick a deer, or area to hunt, start paying attention to sign, then set up a trap.

I like glassing 5 or 6 yr old cuts, may not be the best way to kill a really big one, but it is what I enjoy the most.

I figure out where the bucks are coming and going, and set up accordingly.

This year, when a certain area opens, I will be hunting the brush, I found a giant last year, and I think I have a fair chance at him, but learning his zone and how they use it can be a huge challenge if you only have 30 yds of visibility in an open area.

I hunt them lots of ways from glassing to still hunting, depending on the situation, but gravitate to glassing, because I love scanning with binos and seeing that white face appear with a big chocolate body, and dark antlers...awesome, awesome sight through the swaros.

Last year I picked a spot I love to hunt, rather than a deer. I ended up killing a nice 5 yr old 3 point, In such a text book beautiful place. This year I may do the same, that spot will be too grown-up soon, and I love hunting it, but I also want to dedicate some time to the big one I found after I filled my tag.

Lots of right ways to kill blacktail, with your patience, you would like it, and would do good. Being low impact on the area is critical to me, that takes patience.

I hunt areas other people don't generally, so if I'm careful I can hunt unpressured deer all season. Currently I don't have that luxury, as soon as fire season is lifted, it will be go time.

I have been hunting pressured areas so far, saw my first buck yesterday, but it was just a 2yr old forky. Have a good plan today, just waiting for light, and I should see some deer if people are reasonable
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Roosie, do you watch a clear-cut all day or just early morning then the mid to late afternoon? I am fine with sitting and waiting, if I have a good trail or cut to watch, where I know deer have been hanging out. Sitting and watching while sipping on some hot coffee sounds like a lot of fun to me. If I take too much food, I could get fatter while waiting and not be able to stalk in on the big one. Anyway thanks for sharing.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I don't have the patience to watch too long, some really grown up ones I can put some time in, but normally early and late, and checking spots in between.

I see lots of bucks between 9-11, but usually not where I start my day, but checking other spots after. Keep the mindset " I know there is a buck there, I just have to find it" and it will happen.

If I am dedicating time to one buck, I will be in that area any time I'm hunting.

I make a terrible trophy hunter, so I generally just have a plan of finding as many bucks as I can, and shoot the one I just cannot pass up, which is generally not a size thing, it's pretty random with me :D

When glassing, changing vantage points often can make all of the difference, you cannot see as much as you think from one spot, and they just materialize out of nowhere.

I am always looking for and at sign, finding out where and how they are using the area, the wild card is always when.

The most important aspect is finding good general areas without a ton of pressure, it really is that easy.

It's a lot like steelhead fishing, tough to initially dial in, but easy once you do.

The wetter the better, they are always out in the rain, but not wind, if it's blowing, go look for a place out of the wind, they will be there..often grassy spur roads are good when it's nasty weather, but still hunting timber can be goid too, they eat lichen that gets knocked of the trees when it's blowing, and they are easier to approach.

If you bump a doe, she may run off, pay attention because buck will sneak off half the time while you watch the doe bound off.

Tons of little tricks, but none are constants, but there are patterns, all really simple stuff.

It's been slow and crowded, word on the street is fire season will be lifted tomorrow, is so, it's gonna get a whole bunch better for me, and I will have some better updates, plan on filming quite a bit too, hopefully that will give me incentive to not kill the first 3 point I see....but maybe not ;)
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Thanks for the tips Roosie. I see it is like all hunting. Getting a Blacktail is easy if you know where to hunt them and how. :D
Swede

Postby olympushunt » 10 10, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Come on Rosie....where is it. I'm being patient here. Foot tapping.
olympushunt

Postby Roosiebull » 10 11, 2017 •  [Post 14]

olympushunt wrote:Come on Rosie....where is it. I'm being patient here. Foot tapping.

I have not been out, we just had a very big tragedy in our family, and it's been the roughest couple days in my life.

I will be getting back out, the woods have always been the best place to work through tough times, and I think it will be the same this time....it's surely better than sitting at home. all I have been doing is trying to maintain and keep my mind occupied.

hope to have some updates soon, land is opening up, and I hope I can find the desire to go, because I think it will help.
Roosiebull

Postby olympushunt » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Oh wow....RB...I'm so sorry to hear that! Whatever it is....you have a buddy down south of ya thinking about and saying a prayer for you.
olympushunt

Postby Roosiebull » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 16]

the weather was pretty decent today, kind of surprised i didn't see a decent buck, but did find an area that seems like a good place to spend some time. the 2 spots i have been planning on hunting are both closed (the property is open, but they say you cannot go in if the signs are still up, and they are taking their time pulling signs)

i am checking other zones, and found some promising areas, saw 8 deer today, so that is better than it's been, saw some elk as well. i don't think i will be very picky at this point, but that could change as the season progresses.
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 10 15, 2017 •  [Post 17]

things are heating up, bucks are starting to be around the ladies, when I find time, I will do a write up on yesterdays hunt, it was pretty meaningful, and a really good day.

tomorrow has high probability for me to fill my tag, will keep you posted. cold and clear the last couple days, which I like, when the sun starts hitting the hills, deer start gravitating towards it...one more day of that tomorrow, then lots of rain....more effective killing weather, but I do like glassing cold, clear mornings.....buck was chasing does all over earlier according to tracks, I was at a different spot and just saw does.

wearing off the soles of my boots the last few days ;)
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 18]

I learned today, if you have to watch a big buck bedded for an extended period of time, it starts wearing on your nerves. I felt like I had a big bull at 15 yds..... at 11am he finally stood.....
Roosiebull

Postby olympushunt » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 19]

and.....KABOOM! Right??? Please dont leave me hangin!
olympushunt

Postby Swede » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Alright, where are the pictures? Enough of the suspense.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 21]

this blacktail season has been the hardest time in my life, my brother and I were raised by my mother only since we were pretty young, a little over a week ago, she passed away and turned our lives upside down. I didn't know that emotional pain could be that intense and consuming.

through all of this, my brother and I have decided we need to spend more time with each other, we are the last ones left. thank goodness we have both created awesome families of our own.

I got my brother into hunting several years ago, and he picked it up pretty much instantly, and usually gets his archery elk every year, and a deer half of the time (he doesn't spend much time chasing deer)

a couple years ago he started rifle hunting deer, and like I told him, he is enjoying it, but he doesn't know much about finding bucks, most of his deer have been during an elk hunt, not targeting deer.

we made a plan to hunt on Saturday, and we were walking back to a place I had been saving for this day, one of my favorite spots. as we get up there, it's just getting light.

it's really cold, in the 30's with a steady NE wind, I felt it was perfect conditions to find a buck. as we moved up the unit glassing, we stopped at one spot, I told my brother that this little knob is really good, but usually later morning, for whatever reason.

we got back to the main part that is generally the first light spot, a nice bowl that is perfect habitat. we were freezing and not seeing any deer at all. we walked to the other side, and glassed back across, still nothing. the sun is now up, and my brother was getting a little discouraged with the hunt.

I assured him it could happen at any time, and as the season progresses, it will only get better. he doesn't like to hunt a bunch of days in a row, he has a bad back and it hurts him.

at about 9am, I tell him lets go back to that knob and see if anything has came up the ridge, I set my rifle on a stump and started glassing, while my brother looked around without binos...before long, a doe steps into the sun, I tell my brother, it's easy to see in the bright sun. I start scanning around and see movement below, an ear flicker, I tell my brother there was another, then it steps up, another doe...spot another below that one, and they are acting a little nervous.

I tell my brother to get ready just in case, those deer are acting nervous, there may be a buck with them. a minute later, I see a snout in the brush, and it looks like a buck snout! I tell my brother I think there is a buck, then it steps into the open, yep, buck!

he asks where to get a rest, I look around and see my rifle on the only stump...just use mine, it's already sitting on a rest....

he gets behind the gun, and the buck gets all of the way in the open...BOOM! the buck looks like it gets the carpet pulled from under it! a hug and a high five and we start working across this mess of brush.

we quartered it up, I put most of it in my pack, and we made the 3.2 mile walk back to the pickup. it was a very much needed morning.
Attachments
bros buck.jpg
bros buck.jpg (354.77 KiB) Viewed 24618 times
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 22]

I have been staying in the woods as much as possible, just keeping my mind busy, and trying to keep it occupied.

the deer are starting to get active. I had no standards at all, I did pre season, but I didn't now. I guess I had standards, but I lowered them to the first 3.5 yr old buck I can find, or bigger of course, just something with some body size.

yesterday I found some good sign in an area that just started looking good this year, I sat on it last night, and found the does, but the buck was nowhere to be found. I think I would have found him yesterday morning, but I was somewhere else.

this morning I went back in there and slowly glassed my way through....no new sign, and not a single deer. I got down to the end, and to me, it's THE SPOT, even though there wasn't any sign up top, I just knew it was a good place to find the buck hanging out.

I glassed until about 9:30, nothing. I was up on a ridge, and there was one more drop below me, so I decided to walk down there, even though it wasn't much of a better vantage, it was a little better. I got down there, couldn't turn anything up, it was now pretty sunny, just the very bottom was shaded, I scanned over something interesting, then focused on it. it looked like a deer, but I could just see a bit of it. it took about 20 minutes of staring and I saw the leg move! it was a deer, and a very big one, I realized I was just looking at the hind quarter.

about another half hour passes and a little streak of sun went over it, and when that happened, I could see his white muzzle, and one side of his antler. I knew it was a buck before that, just the size of him, but now it's confirmed. I ranged him at 267 yds, and kept waiting. when the actual sun finally hit him an hour later, he stood.

I clicked the safety off and BOOM...he got up, stumbled around, then I lost sight of him.

I went back to the top and got my pack and worked my way to him. I was pretty happy to stand over this deer, there has not been a day in my life I would have passed him up. he isn't huge or anything, but a solid 3pt with 17" inside spread and a huge body. it took me another 3 hrs to bone him out and pack him out, it was a brutally heavy pack, but I finally made it out of there.
Attachments
2017blacktail.jpg
2017blacktail.jpg (350.02 KiB) Viewed 24618 times
2017 blacktail.jpg
2017 blacktail.jpg (276.8 KiB) Viewed 24618 times
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 23]

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. The pain never really goes completely away. We deal with it. My friend Jesus really helps me there.
Congratulations to both you and your brother. You have a couple of fine Blacktail bucks. I would not pass on them either.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 24]

Sorry to hear about your mother. Congrats on the deer!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Roosiebull » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 25]

Swede wrote: The pain never really goes completely away. We deal with it. My friend Jesus really helps me there..

you bet, lots of prayer, and appreciate what I do have, an awesome family.

heading over east for a few days on Thursday, looking forward to that.

when I get back, I will be going with others, friends, family, and hopefully a couple inexperienced hunters hoping to share some memories with others. the season is just now getting good.
Roosiebull

Postby Washington Wapiti » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 26]

Congrats to both of you guys . . . those are beautiful BTs! I will be getting out late archery, end of November. I will be hunting island deer for a second deer, special permit and hopefully get the first too lol. Don't think I'll be taking anything like what you guys got! ;) Very sorry to hear about your mom, and I feel your pain. I just lost mine this last February and it's still fresh for me. She had moved in with me and my wife a year ago, as of last week, and I am blessed that we had that time with her. I feel the same as you after losing our dad, grandparents, and now mom . . . me and my brother are the only ones left. Getting through it is a definite process. The woods are good therapy.
The only time I've hugged a tree is to hang a stand.
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby olympushunt » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 27]

Outstanding work. I knew you would get it done. It was just a matter of when.
olympushunt

Postby Roosiebull » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 28]

Washington Wapiti wrote:Congrats to both of you guys . . . those are beautiful BTs! I will be getting out late archery, end of November. I will be hunting island deer for a second deer, special permit and hopefully get the first too lol. Don't think I'll be taking anything like what you guys got! ;) Very sorry to hear about your mom, and I feel your pain. I just lost mine this last February and it's still fresh for me. She had moved in with me and my wife a year ago, as of last week, and I am blessed that we had that time with her. I feel the same as you after losing our dad, grandparents, and now mom . . . me and my brother are the only ones left. Getting through it is a definite process. The woods are good therapy.

thanks man!

good luck to you in November! that island deer hunting looks like an awesome hunt, and any late archery blacktail hunting is about as fun as it gets. with my line of work, November is one of, if not the busiest month of the year, so I have switched to mainly rifle hunting them. last year I archery hunted them I killed my best buck. the encounters of late archery season are amazing, and some times frustrating. it goes from 3 super slow days to one insane day...have to keep your motivation up and keep trying, get within the zone of a hot doe, and things get crazy quick.

the morning I killed my biggest buck, I was sitting on a power line road, under a small hemlock tree, with an active deer crossing in front of me, it was also my last day to hunt, I had to go to work the next day, it was Dec 3.

about an hour into the day, a 2 yr old forky came following a doe about 70 yds out, being the last day, I hoped they came back by at some point. about 9:30 my knees and ankles were killing me being kneeled down for so long, I had to stretch my legs.

I stood up and was looking up the powerline road thinking of what I should do with the rest of my day, I heard something and looked back, and here is a doe already at 30 yds with a giant set of antlers right under her tail! i'm in the wide open, but still have an arrow nocked, I had already ranged everything several times, so I knew the range, the doe saw me biut didn't seem to care. I got a 25 yd shot at the buck and sent an arrow through him. the doe finally kept going , and came even closer to me before going into the brush (apparently hot does are dumb like rutty bucks)

the buck stood there and was really wanting to follow the doe, but finally decided to walk away. before he disappeared in the brush he fell, got up, then fell again, then made it into the brush. my shot was perfect, but in the chaos, I didn't realize he was quartering to until after I shot, it still ended up working out.

about 5 ,minutes later I hear grunts, then foot steps and out of the same trail comes a big forky, grunting the whole way, head down following the exact path of the doe, never even looked at me standing in the open....a couple minutes later, more grunting and foot steps, a BIG 2x3, same genetics as my buck comes out grunting the whole way,and also ignored me.....it was complete insanity!
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 10 18, 2017 •  [Post 29]

made it out with my sister in law last night for a couple hours, she was up to her old tricks and didn't let me point out any deer to her, she spotted all of them before I did, she really has an eye for spotting deer, which is a huge asset.

she does really good, and there has only been one year since 2009 she hasn't got her buck, and I have been standing next to her on most of them, last year she killed her buck while 8 months pregnant, and it was a little over 3 miles from the pickup...stressful evening for me :D the year she didn't get a buck, her scope got knocked off somehow, and on the last day of the season I watched her miss that buck 4 times. that afternoon we brought my rifle, but no bucks spotted (I gave her my rifle for Christmas that year, way nicer to pack than her previous tank of a rifle) her old rifle is a beautiful Mauser 7x57, cool gun, just heavy with a really rough trigger. she got my tikka 270.

last night we ended up seeing 11 deer, and a huge herd of elk. one was a good buck, we made a play on him, but it just didn't come together. we spotted him at 366 yds, and I felt like we should cut that distance in half, by the time we did, they had moved off to 300 yds again, then over the ridge. with a bit more daylight we could have made it over there, but as it was, it just wasn't in the cards. fun evening though.
Roosiebull

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 19, 2017 •  [Post 30]

Thanks for taking us along on your hunts. These are great. Congratulations on your harvest so far. Keep it up and enjoy every minute of it!
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Washington Wapiti » 10 24, 2017 •  [Post 31]

Roosiebull wrote:
Washington Wapiti wrote:Congrats to both of you guys . . . those are beautiful BTs! I will be getting out late archery, end of November. I will be hunting island deer for a second deer, special permit and hopefully get the first too lol. Don't think I'll be taking anything like what you guys got! ;) Very sorry to hear about your mom, and I feel your pain. I just lost mine this last February and it's still fresh for me. She had moved in with me and my wife a year ago, as of last week, and I am blessed that we had that time with her. I feel the same as you after losing our dad, grandparents, and now mom . . . me and my brother are the only ones left. Getting through it is a definite process. The woods are good therapy.

thanks man!

good luck to you in November! that island deer hunting looks like an awesome hunt, and any late archery blacktail hunting is about as fun as it gets. with my line of work, November is one of, if not the busiest month of the year, so I have switched to mainly rifle hunting them. last year I archery hunted them I killed my best buck. the encounters of late archery season are amazing, and some times frustrating. it goes from 3 super slow days to one insane day...have to keep your motivation up and keep trying, get within the zone of a hot doe, and things get crazy quick.

the morning I killed my biggest buck, I was sitting on a power line road, under a small hemlock tree, with an active deer crossing in front of me, it was also my last day to hunt, I had to go to work the next day, it was Dec 3.

about an hour into the day, a 2 yr old forky came following a doe about 70 yds out, being the last day, I hoped they came back by at some point. about 9:30 my knees and ankles were killing me being kneeled down for so long, I had to stretch my legs.

I stood up and was looking up the powerline road thinking of what I should do with the rest of my day, I heard something and looked back, and here is a doe already at 30 yds with a giant set of antlers right under her tail! i'm in the wide open, but still have an arrow nocked, I had already ranged everything several times, so I knew the range, the doe saw me biut didn't seem to care. I got a 25 yd shot at the buck and sent an arrow through him. the doe finally kept going , and came even closer to me before going into the brush (apparently hot does are dumb like rutty bucks)

the buck stood there and was really wanting to follow the doe, but finally decided to walk away. before he disappeared in the brush he fell, got up, then fell again, then made it into the brush. my shot was perfect, but in the chaos, I didn't realize he was quartering to until after I shot, it still ended up working out.

about 5 ,minutes later I hear grunts, then foot steps and out of the same trail comes a big forky, grunting the whole way, head down following the exact path of the doe, never even looked at me standing in the open....a couple minutes later, more grunting and foot steps, a BIG 2x3, same genetics as my buck comes out grunting the whole way,and also ignored me.....it was complete insanity!

Thanks! If I can fill my 2 deer tags along with my elk, that will be an epic year for me. I got real close on turkey in the Spring, but couldn't quite get it done. So very close though. You've had some great BT action! Love those powerlines! :D I was out there the long weekend before elk started up. I missed a shot and passed on a couple smaller does. Even though not during the rut obviously, it was still a great weekend with a lot of near misses, epic stalks, and cat and mouse games lol. Nothing like trying to hunt these things in walls and oceans of salal! They love to eat it and they love to hide in it. Blacktail hunting is just straight fun
The only time I've hugged a tree is to hang a stand.
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Roosiebull » 10 25, 2017 •  [Post 32]

yep, a buck laying in a salal patch is a very classic scene. anytime I start glassing, i'm looking at salal patches first. not sure what it is, but they love sleeping in it, and eating it. not sure I have seen a doe laying in salal, but several bucks.
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 11 01, 2017 •  [Post 33]

made it out with a good friend yesterday morning and this morning, to my surprise, we couldn't turn up a buck yesterday.

my friend just had shoulder surgery on his right shoulder (of course he is right handed) he decided to go hunt and shoot lefty, but he can't really go without someone, can't wear a pack or anything...so I was happy when I got time and it lined up.

this morning we walked into an area i'm partial to, it's an easy flat 3-3.5 miles behind the gate, and we got into the area just shy of glassing light, we made a big loop yesterday to scout this on our way out, and with the sign we saw, and the weather we had, I knew we were going to have an encounter with a buck today....I was very optimistic

we started picking everything apart and couldn't find a deer, after about an hour I was feeling some pressure, we decided to go to the other side and glass back across. (I have been packing the rifle so he has a hand to use at least)

we were almost to the other side as we came around a corner to a spur road, I look up the spur...STOP! deer. I set the rifle down and know it's a buck, get my glass on it and see it is indeed a legal buck, and walking fast towards us. we were in the open, but the buck didn't seem to care.

I reach down and grab the rifle, hand it to Matt and tell him to shoot when ready...BOOM...nuthin'...Boom...nuthin'....BOOM... nuthin'!!!! he missed him 3 times at 121 yds, and the rifle was out of shells, I dump my pack, open it, grab ammo, dump the box out, hand him one and set my pack down.

the last of the 3 shots I saw the mirage of the bullet (the bullet path) go just left of the bucks neck, height was good.

anyways, he gets a rest on my pack, the buck has held solid this whole time amazingly, he shoots and I see the bullet impact perfect, he hunches up, I say he's done, then he stumbles and falls!

I was so stoked, and happy for Matt, we were both in shock how it went down, and I had forgot he was shooting lefty, and off hand the first 3...no wonder
and his arm supporting the rifle was in a cast. I held the rifle up lefty off hand, there is no way I would have hit anything like that either.

we got up there, took a couple pics, and I skinned and quartered him, there was NO bloodshot, it was a frontal shot, he hit dead center and blew the heart up, and lungs, went through the liver and into the gut bag, but it didn't make a mess at all. even the tenderloins were clean when I pulled them out.

I put the whole deer in my pack (made him carry the head ) and off we went, back to the rig at 11, and in the cooler before noon, great morning, and on our way out he brought to my attention I have been with him on all of his deer so far, I got a kick out of that. I love seeing people do well, and I was happy I was able to help him carry stuff and pack the buck out, he always has my back, and has helped me pack elk quarters more than once, always with a good attitude.

he also cut a hunt short this year and helped me deal with my bull, I was really hoping I could make it up to him this deer season. now sis in law took the last 2 days off, in a perfect world, she gets one tomorrow and I get to hunt with another good friend I have not seen in a few years....but we will see
Attachments
mattsbuck.jpg
mattsbuck.jpg (373.43 KiB) Viewed 24481 times
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 11 01, 2017 •  [Post 34]

Roosie: Congratulations to you and Matt. You are a great person to have as a friend.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 11 01, 2017 •  [Post 35]

thanks Swede, he is also a good person to have as a friend. the woods have a lot of power, and one of them is showing who your true friends are. hunt with someone enough, and you get a very good feel for the type of person they are.

him and his brother are top notch individuals I am lucky to have as friends, they prove it over and over.
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 36]

How awesome is that! Congrats to you and your buddy on a great day out in the deer woods.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 37]

so close this evening!!

my sister in law and i had a brutally slow morning, 2 bull elk, 1 bald eagle, 1 northern pygmy owl was all we came up with, I had a spot I have been keeping in my back pocket, decided to go there, we walked in to this beautiful cut to find they cut all of the surrounding timber the last couple weeks...there went plan A, we just never got the ball rolling this morning.

the afternoon was good, different spot, I spot a deer that looks "bucky" finally puts his head up, and sure enough, but just a spike...a while later 2 does, we were 30ish yds and they had us pegged, I was looking through my binos, sister in law asked if they were does, I replied yes...they finally get nervous and trot up the hill...wait, there's still a deer there...buck! big buck! he starts moving, I stop him with a grunt...few seconds he starts moving, and I stop him again....my sister in law was trying to set up her shooting sticks, and I keep saying "shoot off hand!" finally the gig was up, and watched that dandy hop up the hill...so close! it caught us both off guard, and my sister in law likes to always shoot off sticks or a rest.

I jokingly tell her if they are easy bow range, the sticks probably aren't essential ;) (she bow hunts too) after that we found one more spike in a different area. we covered some ground, put in a good days worth of effort, and she had an opportunity on a dandy, we saw 2 groups of elk, all in all, good day.

one more day tomorrow, I think she will have another chance at least, have a good plan, hope to have a deer in my pack by noon tomorrow :D
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 11 03, 2017 •  [Post 38]

my sister in law finally got one to hold still today, we were walking out from the morning hunt, found a youngster chasing does around at noon, and another buck ended up on my back ;)

saw a bigger one earlier, but he was a little too quick, he hung around for awhile, but got into thick stuff at the last second, he knew something was up, and snuck away down a draw. fun last day of deer season, glad to see my sis in law get a buck. we covered just shy of 24 miles on foot the last 2 days, saw 3 bucks, and a few does.

too bad she didn't get the big guy yesterday, but it just wasn't meant to be.

another blacktail season comes to a close.....back in the woods tomorrow scouting elk with a buddy, saw good sign yesterday, and some elk, so hopefully get him dialed in on them tomorrow, and maybe see some more bucks.
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 11 04, 2017 •  [Post 39]

my sister in law killed her buck last year while 8 months pregnant, we ended up over 3 miles from the pickup when she shot, she is a trooper. I created a monster out of her, she has been hunting like crazy since 2010, and that was a fun season. she killed that buck on Nov 3 also, in 2010. since then she has filled her deer tags other than one year (missed one the last day that year) she hunts solo a lot, killed a big bull with her bow solo, a few deer solo, and a whopper bear. she hunts harder than most guys, and not having someone to go with doesn't stop her.

I knew she would be hurting this morning, I walked her all over the place yesterday. she has a 1 yr old boy, and she hasn't got out much this year. the last 2 mornings she has dropped her son off with my wife in the mornings, and lives about 40 minutes away.

this morning I decided to get up early, and go park at our plan A, that way she could take her time, and get there around 6:30. I was parked by 5:20, and glad I did, saw several hunters drive by me after slowing down.

I had a good plan for us, a nice cut below where we saw a big buck last night, and this place just holds a lot of deer. we slowly worked our way to the very top, and started glassing at very first light.

it didn't take long and I glass up 3 does....no buck! the main part of this cut had feral cattle in it this morning which bummed me out, the deer don't hang around those things. after about an hour we decided to move on. a bit later we saw a lone doe...odd...

we glassed around a bit, and finally found a buck where she got one 2 yrs ago, he wasn't running, but he knew something was up, my sis in law was having a hard time finding him in the scope, and he finally went down a little draw to not be seen again...bummer

we ended up going all the way to the back, but came up empty. I told her to be on alert, there is a very good chance of seeing a buck on our way out....the next spot we got back to we glassed for a bit, as we walked off I saw movement, little, but something...I focused on it and a doe comes out from behind a bush, then trots a little...did she see us?

a second later another deer comes out trotting, then another, nose to the ground and really bucky posture. I tell Melissa to get the sticks set up, and I quickly confirm it's a legal buck. that buck kept chasing the does (towards us) but wouldn't stop, she had him in the scope, he stopped broadside...BOOM!

the buck rears up and falls backwards and disappeared into the brush below! I had her mark a land mark, and stay below, I would go get the buck and drag him down. I got up there and it was thick even by coast standards, and it took awhile to find him....but finally did!

we got him to the road, and we quartered him up. I put him all in my pack, I knew she was physically beat, so I figured I will just carry it all. it actually wasn't bad at all, semi flat 2.6 miles back to the pickup :D we got back to my house around 3.

that wraps up another blacktail season, and on a good note!!! where she shot the buck was where she missed one a couple years ago on the last day...redemption!!!

I will post a better pic tomorrow, this is the only one I have until then.
Attachments
mel2017.jpg
mel2017.jpg (162.42 KiB) Viewed 24451 times
Roosiebull