Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Using Rodents to get ahead

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Using Rodents to get ahead

Postby lamrith » 10 05, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Lets face it, Squirrels can be the bane of your existence when you are hunting. Especially spot and stalk where they always seem to start screaming at you as you approach that clearing you just spent 2hrs circling around to get the wind right.

Well if you are a tree stand or stationary ground hunter, you can use them to your advantage:
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/how-to-us ... r-hunting/

I know the day I shot my bear this year the squirrels had been having a hayday in the clearing. Full on romper-room. BUt very shortly before my bear started crashing brush they had gotten quiet....
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Re: Using Rodents to get ahead

Postby Swede » 10 05, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I do not know how observing squirrels will make me a better tree stand hunter. I am already sitting and waiting for a deer or elk. I have seen a squirrel chatter enough to turn an elk around. Maybe I should have shot the squirrel before it started to chatter, but that could get expensive, not to mention I think it is illegal. My thought is to sit and wait patiently and enjoy the Pine squirrels. They are like a circus at times. Twice in my years in a stand I have seen a squirrel fall from a tree. One came up a branch and all of a sudden spotted me. The shock of seeing me caused its fall. I think the other found some loose bark that gave way on it. That squirrel made a splat when it hit the ground and was knocked out for 10-15 minutes. I thought it was dead, but it revived and took off like nothing happened.
If you are sitting in your stand and waiting for an elk, keep waiting and watching. Never mind the squirrels.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 10 09, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:I do not know how observing squirrels will make me a better tree stand hunter. I am already sitting and waiting for a deer or elk. I have seen a squirrel chatter enough to turn an elk around. Maybe I should have shot the squirrel before it started to chatter, but that could get expensive, not to mention I think it is illegal. My thought is to sit and wait patiently and enjoy the Pine squirrels. They are like a circus at times. Twice in my years in a stand I have seen a squirrel fall from a tree. One came up a branch and all of a sudden spotted me. The shock of seeing me caused its fall. I think the other found some loose bark that gave way on it. That squirrel made a splat when it hit the ground and was knocked out for 10-15 minutes. I thought it was dead, but it revived and took off like nothing happened.
If you are sitting in your stand and waiting for an elk, keep waiting and watching. Never mind the squirrels.

As a 12 year old sitting in a deer stand for 2 1/2 hours near Hinkley Mn, 10 below zero. a squirrel wouldn't leave me alone just feet away. my 30-30 put a .30 hole right through its noggin.
Squirrels were sort of my thing at the time, generally 20 days of squirrels before trapping season. we use to eat a lot of rodents, Even made some money selling to Mepps
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 10 10, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Lefty wrote:As a 12 year old sitting in a deer stand for 2 1/2 hours near Hinkley Mn, 10 below zero. a squirrel wouldn't leave me alone just feet away. my 30-30 put a .30 hole right through its noggin.Squirrels were sort of my thing at the time, generally 20 days of squirrels before trapping season. we use to eat a lot of rodents, Even made some money selling to Mepps

That is funny. Years ago, I shot a squirrel with a broad-head that would just not shut up. He kept on scolding me for at least a half hour. Finally I got fed up and the woods went quiet again. The worst thing that ever happened to me due to rodents, was a squirrel started chattering loudly just as I was getting ready to draw on a bull at 20 yards away, that came in to the water hole where I was waiting. The bull bolted and left for parts unknown. Dang squirrel saved the bull's life. I did not kill that squirrel as the damage was done and revenge would do no good.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Charina » 10 10, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I've certainly contemplated how I can rid tree stand locations of squirrels. Not sure if I'll go in ahead of time with the pellet gun or set up snares. But I certainly don't want them doing to me what they did to you Swede. Some of those buggers are just downright obnoxious.
Charina