Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunt Conditioning, 2018

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunt Conditioning, 2018

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 13, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Ya, I know what calendar year it is ;). I'm just saying whatever you've done for this year (if you feel it worked) or if you have a physical fitness regiment throughout the year, NOW is the time to recommit and keep it rolling. Many of us fall into the mental trap of counting months till next years mountain adventure and slack off or stop during the post season holidays. You'll have a much better outlook and jumpstart if you keep it going starting now. Many of us are in the best shape of our year right after the Wapiti season. Keep it rolling, strong! It'll pay dividends, believe me. Who plans in continuing to work on their physical conditioning through the winter so you're ahead of the game when 2018 rolls around?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Hunt Conditioning, 2018

Postby Swede » 11 13, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I am still briskly walking three miles a day six days a week. I plan to do all the exercise I can by ruining a turkey and some pumpkin pies on Thanksgiving. Part of the grind I go through. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 11 13, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I always keep it rolling :D

I stay in the woods pretty much all year, with some breaks in between climbing in and out of coastal canyons chasing salmon and steelhead. if i'm not spending my days on the river or in the woods, i'm likely swimming around the bottom of the ocean which is just as good of exercise. i'm pretty fortunate I don't have to be disciplined and get or stay in shape.

one thing I did this year which helped a bunch was drop some weight. i'm 6ft even, and like to be around 160lbs, I was up to 184 last winter, not lack of exercise, but metabolism slowed, and I have to watch my diet I guess (ya know, getting older :lol: )

I got down to 152 before elk season, and not sure what I am now, but feel like i'm in that same ball park, if anything, a couple pounds lighter. I was having knee issues for a couple years, and that has went away completely this year, so I will be mindful of keeping the weight off, I like not thinking about dull nagging knee pain.

my wife claims i'm getting too skinny, but I see no down side, I have been packing quite a bit of meat the past month, and doing it with relative ease, so as long as i'm keeping the important power, the lighter the better. my buddy killed a bull on Saturday, I packed a front leg, and a hind the first trip, just shy of 3 miles, and barely broke a sweat, and another hind the next trip, not even sore the next day.....I would love to keep that level of in shape up through the year....every year, that first heavy trip out of the woods is the toughest.

my plan for 18' is eat well and stay active, make sure I do a few tough hikes per month. I have spring bear season to my advantage this year, that always has me in the woods about 40 days with a heavy pack, so that will help too, and that hunt makes for the most walking of any hunting I do...can't wait!
Roosiebull

Postby elkaholicid » 11 14, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I need to step it up in this area. I've been complacent the past couple of years and haven't worked on conditioning as hard as I should have. My plan is to get back to my weight circuit training and mix in some tabata to keep things fresh. Also, I've set a goal to row 500,000 meters before next elk season.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby ishy » 11 14, 2017 •  [Post 5]

So my new motivation this last year is pushing disabled kids at races. I did a bunch last year with the longest a 10k. Hoping to get some tri's in this year. Running is a little harder than usuall, swimming is amazingly not too bad pulling a raft, the bike however is brutal. Most of our racers are around 150 pounds, then add a trailer and it turns little hills into the biggest mountain you've had to face. Great motivation knowing that our kids love to go fast. They let you know if they want to go faster.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby wawhitey » 11 14, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Im in better shape this year than ive been in years. Changed my eating habits and cut back big time on the beer. I hike a lot even in the off season, running tcams, shed hunting, scouting, but my tendency to drink 2000 calories of beer in an evening, and eat too much, was sabotaging myself. Dropped over 50lbs in less than 6 months and had to buy all new clothes. Now i have a ton of good hunting clothes i have to get rid of thats too big for me.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 14, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Whitey, do you find it difficult to stay in good shape when you are spending a lot of time out on the boat? When I was in the navy, I was in good shape, but when I got out, and went to logging, I got in a even better shape.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 11 14, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:Whitey, do you find it difficult to stay in good shape when you are spending a lot of time out on the boat? When I was in the navy, I was in good shape, but when I got out, and went to logging, I got in a even better shape.

Ya, the boat is bad. Thats where i picked up all my bad eating habits. Ive nipped that in the bud. Everybody else xan eat their crap and get fat. Ill make a salad
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby elkstalker » 11 14, 2017 •  [Post 9]

This year I slacked in the off season, we moved from Idaho to Montana, and all the work associated with that cut down on my routine! I suffered for it come elk season, so I've already began running and lifting, hopefully I can keep it up through the winter and spring...
elkstalker

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 14, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I'm still hard at it! (grin) Year around work outs works best for me!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Backyard » 11 14, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I'm always still at it too. Had a torn meniscus repaired last summer so no more running for my workout. But I make up for it with 10 miles on either a spin bike or regular at least 3-4 times a week then I hit the stairmaster for another 20-30 min., and abs, and some light weights etc. will slowly turn it up through out the year till season start.
Less than 300 days.... :D
Backyard

Postby Roosiebull » 11 14, 2017 •  [Post 12]

wawhitey wrote:
Swede wrote:Whitey, do you find it difficult to stay in good shape when you are spending a lot of time out on the boat? When I was in the navy, I was in good shape, but when I got out, and went to logging, I got in a even better shape.

Ya, the boat is bad. Thats where i picked up all my bad eating habits. Ive nipped that in the bud. Everybody else xan eat their crap and get fat. Ill make a salad

makes a HUGE difference, I quit drinking all the way about 9 years ago, that alone is lots of empty calories, and no morning slows from a late night hanging out, drinking beer :D same for me, when i'm out of town working, we have no cooking facilities on the boat, so it's eating out, when I became mindful of food consumption the last 8 months, weight started coming off quick, and i'm happy about that.

it's pretty easy once you get established in a new diet, but it takes a minute to do it. the pros exponentially outweigh the cons ;)

well done btw!
Roosiebull

Postby Navesgane » 11 19, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Lots of backcountry skiing in my winter/spring plans!
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Magic » 11 20, 2017 •  [Post 14]

A bicycle. What, a bicycle? Yup, a 7 speed Schwinn bicycle. When I first bought it last Spring I did good to make a half mile. I gradually added more distance and within a month or so I had worked up to 12 miles which included both uphill & downhill. Well of course because it would be very difficult to find a road that was only one or the other.

Anyway, a bicycle helped this old 74 year old fart to get his mountain legs back. Now, the real challenge is to keep them.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Tigger » 11 21, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Been walking 3-4 days per week. Not a long distance (2 miles), but I consider it my maintenance activity. Situps 2-3 times per week. Also, watching what I eat. really cutting out white bread, processed/store bought sweets and leaving that last bit on my plate if I really don't want it. I struggle with the "Clean Your Plate" syndrome. How many times do you have that one bite left, really don't want it, but eat it just to clean your plate?
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 11 25, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Wednesday I carried around a 40 gas rebar driver for 6 hours. For breaks I carried the rebar and pounded some with a 5 pound sledge hammer. Yesterday I hiked me deer area for 5 hours narrowing it down to one tree. Today Ill wade steelhead streams for 10 hours. My conditioning comes naturally.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro