Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Sponsor Welcome, Luxe Hiking Gear!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Sponsor Welcome, Luxe Hiking Gear!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 18, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I've been working with Jake from Luxe awhile now and am very glad to announce that Luxe Hiking Gear is our newest Wapiti Talk advertising sponsor! Really, really excited about this newest sponsor to our humble campfire/forum. Please join me in welcoming Luxe Hiking Gear to our forum, and, make sure you swing by the site banner/text link above to see what they have to offer! I think folks looking for ultra lightweight, bombproof, and reasonably priced backcountry gear will particularly enjoy the products offered at Luxe ;). RJ

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: New Sponsor Welcome, Luxe Hiking Gear!

Postby Swede » 01 18, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Certainly a big welcome to Luxe Hiking Gear. I just looked over your site and you have some interesting equipment. It could very well meet some needs of the folks on board here.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 01 19, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Welcome! Good looking gear y'all have there.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby luxehikinggear » 01 19, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Thanks folks,
We are happy to be a part of and support this awesome community. Looking forward to learning so much from this valuable resource. Thank you RJ for being such a great host. Feel free to reach out at anytime for questions or comments. We also grew up hiking, hunting and fishing, and love talking camping outdoors!
luxehikinggear

Postby Indian Summer » 01 19, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Man that really is some reasonably priced nice gear. I like the GStove and the Megahorn 4 man teepee with stove jack. What a setup! That website is like Toys R Us for elk hunters! Welcome aboard glad to have you.

Will that bathtub floor work in the Megahorn tent?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby luxehikinggear » 01 20, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Indian Summer wrote:Will that bathtub floor work in the Megahorn tent?

Yes it will and thank you. Both sizes of bathtub floor will work. Some guys use a cot, or tyvek or inner tent. Lots of options for various conditions.
luxehikinggear

Postby Indian Summer » 01 21, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I see the Megahorn with stove jack is $349.50. Does that tent have the snow flaps? Also any idea when the 2 person bathtub floor will be in stock?

Rory this is a heck of a sponsor man! Finally the exact setups I’m looking for without having to take out a second mortgage! After checking these products out I’m really glad I didn’t push the button on that synthetic wall tent from Buckstitch Canvas.

One more question.... in the video from the inside he pulls what looks like a drawstring that runs to the peak. What does that do? I’m wanting to make a tighter seal on that cap that goes over the top. I’ll use it in some pretty cold conditions and I don’t want to lose too much heat from there.
Indian Summer

Postby luxehikinggear » 01 21, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer wrote:I see the Megahorn with stove jack is $349.50. Does that tent have the snow flaps? Also any idea when the 2 person bathtub floor will be in stock?

One more question.... in the video from the inside he pulls what looks like a drawstring that runs to the peak. What does that do? I’m wanting to make a tighter seal on that cap that goes over the top. I’ll use it in some pretty cold conditions and I don’t want to lose too much heat from there.

Megahorn with Stove Jack: Snow Skirts (flaps) roll up and can get tied back for summer use or additional airflow when the weather is fair.

Chimney Cap: There is no drawstring on the top cap, but the dynamic bungee cord with hooks, holding the peak cap in place. You can also create a fold in one of the cap panels, creating a sealed vent at the top. This is most beneficial in extreme cold or high winds, when you do not want the internal heat getting drawn up and out the shelter from that vent. The same peak cap can be removed, if you would like a small open fire inside, preferably in a contained box or cylinder of some kind.

A wood stove pipe can also exit the top hole in the Megahorn, but you would be required to use a tent protector pipe sleeve, so that the hot pipe does not melt the tent fabric.

Hope this was helpful. I appreciate the question!
luxehikinggear

Postby Indian Summer » 01 21, 2018 •  [Post 9]

What is the cord he pulls down from the center inside at about the 1 minute 25 second mark in the set up video then? Last.... similar to Sitka, Leupold, Swarovski and Camp Chef do you have a Pro Deal program that offers discounts to people in the industry who use and promote your products?
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Indian Summer wrote:Last.... similar to Sitka, Leupold, Swarovski and Camp Chef do you have a Pro Deal program that offers discounts to people in the industry who use and promote your products?

With all due respect: What does an industry "pro" testimonial mean when we know the pro is in essence being paid to make grandiose claims about a product or service? After reading that question, I will have to wonder if you are telling me something is "great" just because you are being paid to say so. Thanks for giving us a list of businesses that pay "pros" to hawk their products. I know this goes on all the time, but somehow I would feel better is you asked those things in a PM.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 01 21, 2018 •  [Post 11]

To a degree I can see your point. I guess it depends on how well you know or respect the person giving the recommendation. I work with lots of new hunters. Some not so new but considering new gear. They ask me what I use and why I prefer one product over another. They know me well enough to know I’m not a product whore like some of the tv heroes. If I don’t care for a piece of gear I won’t use it much less recommend it even if it’s free! I give them the best answer I can based on my extensive experience with the things I prefer to use. It was no different when I was an outfitter and provided a gear list to my clients. I’m not biased to any product whether the manufacturer or retailer offers me a discount or not. But why would I pay full price if they have an outfitter/guide program? Furthermore I may not be able to afford their products without a discount. Such is the case with Sitka Gear and Swarovski. If I’m using a high end item like that I realize not everyone can afford it either and for the amount of time they actually use it they may not realistically have a legitimate need for it. In that case I suggest a more affordable yet adequate option.

With due respect do people not look to you as a professional for knowledge on some things when it comes to tree stand hunting be it a product or technique such as the M100 or 150 treestands? If as the author of a book you use a particular brand and tell people that but don’t check to see if that company offers a discount you are missing the boat.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Indian Summer wrote:If I don’t care for a piece of gear I won’t use it much less recommend it even if it’s free!

Thanks Joe. I thought that to be the case, but wanted you to make that clear. I made the worst case I could against pimping products just because we get a break on them. BTW: I have never received a free or discounted Millennium product. I have never received anything on the contingency that I speak well of their product. I think we both care too much about protecting our reputation and integrity to go down that trail.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 01 21, 2018 •  [Post 13]

The inner Tepi I find quit interesting. Certainly seems to be priced inexpensive
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby luxehikinggear » 01 23, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Indian Summer wrote:What is the cord he pulls down from the center inside at about the 1 minute 25 second mark in the set up video then? Last.... similar to Sitka, Leupold, Swarovski and Camp Chef do you have a Pro Deal program that offers discounts to people in the industry who use and promote your products?

I see what you mean there. That cord closes the drawstring no-see-um bug netting door at the peak of the tent. We have no Pro Deals on the tent, we set out margins so low, there is no room for any discounts. We cut out all the middle-men, so the customer get a high quality shelter, for a whole lot less than they would by shopping in a brick-n-mortar shop.

I do offer customers free USPS Priority Mail (USA) shipping on the Megahorn to help them out and make sure they get their order as fast as possible.
luxehikinggear

Postby Indian Summer » 01 24, 2018 •  [Post 15]

I cannot argue with that. Your prices are very reasonable. Way better than any of your competitors. As soon as I catch up from the holidays I’m buying the Megahorn. I hope you have the 2 man bathtub floor in stock be then.
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 01 26, 2018 •  [Post 16]

For the record I’ve been plugging your business over on Bowsite a little. One guy yold me he already purchased a tent after following my link to your site. You can’t advertise for free there..... but if someone asks “a friend” can tell them a place to find what they want. Wink!

A bonus of becoming a Wapiti Talk sponsor is that you ate now a friend! ;)
Indian Summer

Postby Roosiebull » 01 26, 2018 •  [Post 17]

very cool! welcome!

I like new to me places to spend money :D
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 01 26, 2018 •  [Post 18]

It is good to see you back Roosie. I was about to see if I could get you taken in and interrogated for excessive goofing off. :D Anyway I hope you had a good vacation.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 01, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Indian Summer wrote:I cannot argue with that. Your prices are very reasonable. Way better than any of your competitors. As soon as I catch up from the holidays I’m buying the Megahorn. I hope you have the 2 man bathtub floor in stock be then.

Just ordered a Megahorn. My hunting partner is in charge of getting a stove. Really liking the looks of this tipi.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Did you get the bathtub floor?
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 21]

Indian Summer wrote:Did you get the bathtub floor?

The Megahorn does not have an available bathtub type floor for the entire floor space. If a customer gets one of the screened inserts (one or two man), I believe those have a bathtub option but only cover the floor space taken by the insert. I grabbed just a couple of the lightweight groundcovers initially but I'm pretty sure I'll be working on getting a full floor cover of some type. Once I get the tipi and set it up, I'll figure out how I want to proceed with flooring.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Scroll up and you’ll see where Luxe Gear said the bathtub floor fits the Megahorn. Yes it only covers half though. I don’t really need more and I don’t want to melt it under the woodstove but it’s inexpensive so if you want you could buy two...... when it becomes available.

Make sure you give me a review once you set that up.... the day it arrives. :D
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Indian Summer wrote:Scroll up and you’ll see where Luxe Gear said the bathtub floor fits the Megahorn. Yes it only covers half though. I don’t really need more and I don’t want to melt it under the woodstove but it’s inexpensive so if you want you could buy two...... when it becomes available.

Make sure you give me a review once you set that up.... the day it arrives. :D

Ha, it arrives tomorrow but I don't think I'll be setting it up this weekend. A bit unusual (cough) for my neck of the woods but its raining really hard here in western WA and will do so throughout the weekend. :roll:
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 24]

Clear out the living room Rory! When my Marmot Halo 6 showed up I pitched it in the house immediately. Lol True story.
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 25]

Indian Summer wrote:Clear out the living room Rory! When my Marmot Halo 6 showed up I pitched it in the house immediately. Lol True story.

Don’t think the Mrs would think too kindly of me pounding anchor stakes into the hardwood floor for TIPI setup. Yep, for free standing tents, they definitely get rolled out/checked out in the ranch upon arrival during inclinate weather. I have “another” piece of tentage arriving tomorrow I may share with the masses tho :-).
WapitiTalk1