Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Woods/Huntin' Hijinx!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 01, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Yep, we've ran this topic before over the years but with so many new cats hanging around the WT campfire, let's roll it again (heck, I'm sure some of you legacy WT salts can dig up some also)! What are some of the harmless pranks you've sprang or had sprang on you at elk (or heck, any hunting trip or camp). I mentioned in the elk whizz thread that I put one tiny drop of whizz on a buddies pack many moons ago.... he kept stopping and would swear he smelled elk ;). I've got a good handful of these types of, umm, hunting diversions but want to hear some of yours. Let's go.....
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Woods/Huntin' Hijinx!

Postby Elkduds » 05 02, 2018 •  [Post 2]

A classic: Hide rock in buddy's pack. Then another, and so on until he notices or you bust a gut and tell.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby ishy » 05 02, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Few years ago I tagged a mountain lion while elk hunting with my older brother. We were both a tad delirious after having a huge adrenaline rush of having a lion at 20 yards. It was one of those once in a lifetime moments we will never forget. After packing it for about a mile we decided to sit for a bit and relax. After a few moments I nonchalantly grabbed the cat by the back of the neck and let out the best cat scream a human could muster while exposing it's teeth and launching it's head in my brother's direction! He still hasn't forgiven me. He tells people he saw me shoot it, gut it, and pack it over a mile but in that moment he knew that cat was alive and that he was going to die right there.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Tigger » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 4]

while elk hunting, 2 of us were looking at a pine sap run on a tree while a third guy took a leak. As soon as he got back, we pretended to start chewing and said the sap is like gum. Sure enough, he tried it and we laughed for hours as his mouth tasted like pine needles.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Several years ago,we had young fellow in camp that wanted to stay up late,sleep in, and generally not pull his weight in camp. His bunk area looked like a hurricane it. I took it about three days and got fed up.
I always have some road flares with me and I happened to have a few feet of cannon fuse tucked in my ML supplies. One evening, I stuck about a foot of cannon fuse in a flare to make it look exactly like a stick of dynamite..
While he was in his bunk,I stepped into the wall tent and told him my what I thought about his actions this was a 10 second fuse.I lit it and thru it to him.

He came up and really moved quick,threw that fake dynamite 50-60 feet and hit the dirt. We all had a good laugh except him.The next morning, he had the fire going, breakfast started, and the stock fed before we got up and kept it up the rest of the trip.He didn't come back the next year though.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 6]

saddlesore wrote:Several years ago,we had young fellow in camp that wanted to stay up late,sleep in, and generally not pull his weight in camp. His bunk area looked like a hurricane it. I took it about three days and got fed up.
I always have some road flares with me and I happened to have a few feet of cannon fuse tucked in my ML supplies. One evening, I stuck about a foot of cannon fuse in a flare to make it look exactly like a stick of dynamite..
While he was in his bunk,I stepped into the wall tent and told him my what I thought about his actions this was a 10 second fuse.I lit it and thru it to him.

He came up and really moved quick,threw that fake dynamite 50-60 feet and hit the dirt. We all had a good laugh except him.The next morning, he had the fire going breakfast started and the stock fed before we got up and kept it up the rest of the trip.He didn't come back the next year though.

Classic! :lol:
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Hunting is very special to almost so many of us. The outing is both spiritual and invigorating. I am disappointed in reading of such juvenile pranks by members of W.T. You guys aught to grow up.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 8]

With a little prodding a person can get these lay abouts praying to God to get spiritual and invigorated to get up and move. :lol:
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:Hunting is very special to almost so many of us. The outing is both spiritual and invigorating. I am disappointed in reading of such juvenile pranks by members of W.T. You guys aught to grow up.

Whatever! Coming from the absolute King of the elk mountain pranksters 8-)
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I was had by the king! On day 4 or 5 of our 2017 elk hunt, we had all just settled in to our tents for a well deserved rest (around 10:00 PM if I remember correctly) and just over the bank from my tent I heard (we all heard) a loud scream that I had heard before in the elk woods (but not so close to my sleeping quarters). From his tent Joe hollered "what the F was that"? I responded with "mountain lion.... she woke me up and I was almost asleep". We didn't hear any other noises that night but a big cat so close to our tents made us take pause before we finally dozed off. Joe and I did a half day hunt the next morning and when we returned to camp we started discussing the screaming we had heard the night before. It seemed too "clear" if that makes any sense. My buddy and I started suspecting there was a rat in camp and we did a sweep below our tents for perhaps a predator call but found nothing. Yep, a few days later old Swede came clean and showed me his instrument that he had placed below our tents. What a jokester! A bit later in the evening he again came clean and told me the elk bugle we had heard down the road from camp on our July scouting trip was made by none other than the same electronic gadget. I admit, I was had..... by the King! 8-)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I don't know if what I have here qualifies as a prank or revenge. Anyway. I was at work one Monday morning. A trio of hunters returned with the following story.

The three were in camp one evening when another group returned to their camp spot close by. It was obvious they had killed a elk and were celebrating. The successful hunters were drinking, talking loud, and blowing their pickup horn until the wee hours of the morning.
My coworkers were ticked off by the lack of consideration, but tried to get whatever sleep they could. The next morning they went out at the regular predawn time. They came back for lunch and to pack up and return home. It was their last day. Right before pulling out, one of the trio went around the took the valve stems out of the trailer tires, and maybe the second truck of the inconsiderate hunters. After removing the valve stems, they were laid out where they would be found with a note. "Since you like blowing on things, try blowing on these."
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 04, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I told the story of my nephews replacing the raspberry and peanut butter sandwich inserting an elk bloodclot in the sandwich. It was a bright clear sunny warm late November Montana afternoon,.. I took my nephew swimming after I caught him.

Someone placed a bear bait near where we had baits for years after seeing us remove our bait the previous spring.
My daughter danced in front of the trail cam with ribbons.

While waiting for the opening of duck hunting. a little tweety kept coming in the boat and working a buddies coffee. He made some remark about killing it before it craps in someones coffee. I got the nod from another, the bird landed on a cattail and when Don was looking a # 3 duck load vaporized the poor little bird,..

He got even that same instant: we had to take him to shore to clean up :shock:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fozziebear2000 » 05 04, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Had a group of rowdy young men roar into camp early one morning, in a jeep full of camping gear and beer. My buddy and I were tossing back our last shot of coffee and rolling a cigarette each. Being rowdy young men ourselves at the time, we planned to smoke the cigarettes as soon as one or both of us tagged out. With a big smile one of the visitors glanced at me while I was licking paper and offered to trade a 12 pack for “that fatty”. I caught a sidelong glance from my buddy and heard him say “now hold on, we’re gonna both need a 12 pack if we are going to trade.” And the deal was done.

We hoped to see them passing through again for the rest of our hunt, to share the laugh. But we never did see them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fozziebear2000

Postby Lsb » 05 06, 2018 •  [Post 14]

My brother in law and I were varmint calling on the ranch in Texas. It was late and we made a stand in an old drill site. After a couple minutes a lion started squalling at us. It came in and started circling the truck just out in the brush. We never could get eye shine. It circled squalling for about 5 minutes then left still talking as it went. Of course we'd been drinking a little beer, the bil had to pee but wouldn't get out of the bed of truck. Finally I convinced him to get out, told him I'd hold the spotlight and "cover him" while he peed. I let him get going good then killed the light and yelled "oh $&!+ here it comes!" He's pissed all over himself and the side of the truck trying to get back in. I thought he was going to kill me, I was laughing so hard he could have.
Lsb