Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Planning The 2018 Elk Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Planning The 2018 Elk Hunt

Postby Swede » 05 16, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I suppose most of you are well into planning your 2018 elk hunt. What's up? Where are you going, when, and what is different this year? Lastly, what do you think the likelihood is for you and your team filling your elk tag?

I have not received notice of any special hunts awarded to me by the Oregon wildlife department, so that is totally up in the air. Santa probably won't be bringing me any special tags in June after the draw.
I plan to go on my first of two scouting trips in early June. I will go with my cousin again in later July.
We plan to hunt a couple of units in Oregon this year. The first few days will be in the old haunts, then on to a different unit. We are not sure which one yet. That is what our July scouting trip will be about.
I am shooting pretty well again, but still need more practice.
As for our prospects of filling our tags, I am going to go with 60% for each of us. We could do better, but with the new area and all it may not be easy. In addition this year, I want to take off a few days to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. A person doesn't get a 50th every year, so this is special.
Oh, I almost forgot, my travel trailer sold and was replaced with a 12X14 tent from the Wall tent Shop as advertised above. It looks great, and the service and help were top drawer for sure. I am looking forward to getting it set up and in use.

I am hoping Stringunner and his dad will hunt along with us for much of the season. Maybe I should plan to just hunt with him, but for most of the season our area has really gotten poor at best.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Planning The 2018 Elk Hunt

Postby Lsb » 05 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

The wife and I drew archery tags in a unit that is largely private. We've been helping a landowner in that unit with branding and other ranch chores for 12 years and have access to 54 sections that gets hunted by less than 3 guys a year. Odds are in our favor to tag out on nice bulls. After branding last month lo told me to come scout, hunt, drive around, do whatever I want out there. There's still a lot of snow up there and June is crazy busy so we'll hang some cameras and start watching in July. The only other person with a tag on the ranch is my taxidermist so he won't push me out.
Lsb

Postby saddlesore » 05 16, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Luke and I are planing a scouting trip the last week of June or so for his archery hunt.I won't know until June 4 if I draw a ML tag,but most likely I will. Then that is a pack trip this summer to select a new camp site up north. I have all my new ultra light gear on hand except a new tent that I will get in August. So that means a pack in hunt in September and coming out about mid week to resupply if the tag isn't punched.
Then it's waiting until mid June or so to see what left over licenses for 1st rifle in CO are available or an OTC bull tag for 2nd rifle, to find a bull in a honey hole that Luke is suppose to find in archery season.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 17, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Planning is done. Just have the food menu left. really boring this year, don't need any thing new. same place as 3 years ago. camp site is pick out. Just need to get walking or bike riding.

Idaho archery, I might shoot a cow this year, don't want too but I need to get a arrow bloody so I can start looking for a new bow. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Elkduds » 05 17, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Like Saddlesore, I'm waiting for the CO draw process to point my compass for this fall. Beyond that, fill the cooler, back the truck up to the shed for loading, and head west.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby stringunner » 05 17, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Planning now to be in the usual spot for the opener. Would love to follow Swede around for the season as often as we can past the opener. I think we plan to hunt the opening week in the normal area, it usually goes quiet or dead by about day 7.

Dad and I have planned a weekend in June to place some cameras and make sure no trees or such are on a few of our regular spots. Will check cameras and set tree stand brackets during a weekend in July then one more check of the cameras over the 2nd weekend in August.

No time to scout new spots this year due to some spring surgeries for my wife and I that have kept me down, moving towns the end of this month, and planting a church with a launch date of July 15. It’s nice to have a few reliable spots to go for the opener on a year where time is so limited...and the reason for hoping Swede will let us tag along if the usual spots are of no value.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 05 17, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Stringunner, George and I plan to be camping in our usual place about June 8th or soon after. Let me know if that is a good opportunity for you and your dad. I don't think Oly will be going anytime soon. I hope he will be free to go soon, but ....
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 17, 2018 •  [Post 8]

My daughter and I walked into a little honeyhole our last evening of our last hunt last year. While I mostly hunt for my daughter when we hunt. That little hole will get hunted buy me alone when she isnt along. I dont want to pressure the area, I plan to scout the place heavy this spring and early summer.
I expect we might set up three camps. One with the horse, my wife and grandaughter. Maybe another with the ATV and small enclosed trailer and tent, then the in back of the pickup and ATV location.
We also might bring up her horse :roll: I really dont want to pack an elk out of a couple areas.
This year I "plan" to kill a bull
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby robloft » 05 17, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I’m planning on going on my first elk hunt in Montana this fall. Still trying to narrow down a unit though. Also still trying to put gear together. Have a lot of military stuff I could use but I’m considering buying some lighter stuff to make the pack lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby stringunner » 05 17, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:Stringunner, George and I plan to be camping in our usual place about June 8th or soon after. Let me know if that is a good opportunity for you and your dad. I don't think Oly will be going anytime soon. I hope he will be free to go soon, but ....

We will be there with the boys June 22-24
stringunner

Postby Roosiebull » 05 19, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Sounds fun guys! No plan necessary for me, I have a plan A-Z and then some, but I always do the same thing, go hunt places I like to hang out in, and let the details work themselves out.
Roosiebull

Postby ishy » 05 19, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Didn't draw in Utah, so after several years of going solo locally I am back with the group in the other end of Idaho (the part you can see over 20 yards). Aiming for something along lines of September 6-16th.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Cbb » 05 19, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Haven't decided which season rifle or archery. Probably archery. Need to decide early or late September. Haven't decided to drive or fly.

So planning not really! Lol!
Cbb

Postby Joe Schmo » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Sounds like there’ll be some stories come September!! I’ll be headed to Wyoming in a place that I’ve never been before, I’ve got plans and backup plans. Waiting for WA results so I can see if I finally burnt some points and get to go on a rifle hunt for a big bull, if not I’m sure one archery elk hunt 1000 miles away this year will be just fine with my wife :)
Joe Schmo

Postby lilshootergirl » 05 23, 2018 •  [Post 15]

I can't be more excited for 2018 cousin hunt, were scouting the area,gathering maps & looking for a place to set up camp! This weekend. I really have learned so much about hunting elk, I feel confident, in my shooting, and looking for Hank!!! I pray I can put some elk in the freezer, share with those in need! My husband can't digest beef vary well, hoping the elk meat will set better with him. Good luck everyone! Kettle show you the way! Thank you to all that fought for my freedom. May God bring peace
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby BullRun » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 16]

I have high hopes this year!

I'm gonna scout the OR coast this summer and find a cozy spot to get myself into for rifle season (thanks to great info from someone on this forum). Then, I'll be heading to NM the first week of Oct to try and fill the freezer with a nice fat cow :) I'll come back to that cozy spot on the coast...which almost certainly won't be cozy by rifle season, CAUSE IT RAINS HERE...and see if I can get on a big Roosevelt bull.

Can't wait!! I'm already watching videos and getting fired up for the season. That first cold morning bugle is already running away with my mind!!

Good luck to everyone and thanks for sharing your plans!!

This forum is so great...cause most folks just don't get it. They hear my lost cow and my demanding mews and my contact bugles and my challenge bugles, but they don't know what the hell is going on over at my place :lol:
BullRun

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 04, 2018 •  [Post 17]

BullRun wrote:This forum is so great...cause most folks just don't get it. They hear my lost cow and my demanding mews and my contact bugles and my challenge bugles, but they don't know what the hell is going on over at my place :lol:

:D Classic! Keep it up and keep the neighbors guessing.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Navesgane » 06 04, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Why does it take so long to get the draw results? Shouldn't it be an almost instantaneous process? I would think that states would want to reveal the results as fast as they could so people can start making plans accordingly. The technology is there to make it happen. Trying to plan a full fall/winter hunting schedule around a work schedule isn't as easy at it could be, especially when you have to wait on one states results to know if you can or should apply to another. /end rant
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff