Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The gun you loved and will never forget

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The gun you loved and will never forget

Postby Jhg » 10 17, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I found a 16 gauge hull the other day by the creek and it got me thinking about farvorite guns (I love the 16 ). What was your first love? Mine was a pre '64 Winchester model 100 in .243. Fell for it the first time I saw it. It belonged to my high school gf's step dad. He never used it (preferred a 94 lever gun in 30-30) so he agreed to let me buy it on payments. That rifle fit me like an old sweatshirt- comfortable and easy. I downed a lot of whitetails with it and one moose, a coyote, etc. Funky trigger but the rest of it was perfect. I ended up putting an aperture sight on it, the scope just didn't seem to fit into my style of hunting. I think I made about 60.00 in payments when Christmas rolled around. Hanging on the tree was a card addressed to me and it read: .243 model 100 paid in full. I miss that gf's step dad more than I ever missed her. He was a wonderful man.
Jhg

Re: The gun you loved and will never forget

Postby Swede » 10 17, 2018 •  [Post 2]

My favorite was a model 94 Swedish Mauser in 6.5X55mm. I can't say there was anything in particular that was great about the gun, but I got a lot of deer with it and one elk. Things just happened for me when I carried that gun. I still have it and am thinking about using it on a deer hunt next year.
Dad bought the gun for less than $20 at Montgomery Wards. He had the barrel turned, and the gun blued. He built a new stock for it, and tapered the trigger guard. Later we replaced the barrel and re-blued the gun. Dad put an new for end piece on the stock because the new barrel was longer than the original. Whenever I see it, I am reminded of him.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 10 17, 2018 •  [Post 3]

All guns from my youth
I bought an Ithaca 37-A when I was 13 ribbed barrel. Wow that gun was an extension of me One time went 21 mallards from a box of shells mostly pass shooting
Had a Remington 700 in .222 as a kid 200 yards I could cover most groups with a .50 cent piece,.. Didnt shot it much for over 10 years and sold it,.. really regret that move
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 18, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I have no "was" gun I have only sold 3 guns in my life and everyone of them were junk. Mossberg 500, browning 243 super short, and the biggest joke savage edge with a factory 10 lbs trigger and after 50 rounds it turned to a single shot.
But by far my favorite gun is the good old bread and butter Rem. 870 wingmaster my dad bought me when I could finally start deer hunting.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 18, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Didn't have to chew on this one too long. For me, it has to be the Savage over/under 20GA/.22 my pop got for us boys as our first real gun (shared gun) sometime in the early 70s? Man, we put some grouse and gophers down with that thing! I believe my older brother still has it.... I'll have to check.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Jhg » 10 18, 2018 •  [Post 6]

01616_b1oTEGgyrZV_600x450.jpg
01616_b1oTEGgyrZV_600x450.jpg (28.13 KiB) Viewed 6052 times
This is my favorite now and forever. Probably my last rifle. I knew exactly what I wanted in esthetics, performance and style. I am a big believer in only carrying sporting arms that somehow connect to you and are an extension of your ethic and your commitment to the sport. Life is too short to carry something you feel indifferent about. I can't begin to describe what a joy it is to carry this rifle in the elk woods.
Jhg

Postby Ern » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Almost 40 years ago while in 9th grade I bought a 12ga Remington 870 Wingmaster with the money I earned working on my uncle's farm for the summer. No question that's always been my favorite...however last year I decided to treat myself to a new Browning Citori 16ga. When I took my new one out of the safe to go on a pheasant hunting trip I felt like I was cheating on the old Wingmaster. That Browning is a sweet gun though. Is it wrong to have two favorites :oops:
Ern

First Name: Dave

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Well there is that 1939 semi custom Model 70 in 30-06AI...

I also LOVE my Browning BPS 12 gauge Medallion with 3 1/2" chamber. My dad bought it when I was 8 or 9 and gave it to me as a high school graduation gift. The scroll work on the receiver is gorgeous, and it fits me really well.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Jhg » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Love pictures!!!
Jhg

Postby Lsb » 10 19, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I bought a Savage 111 in 25-06 a few years ago, topped it with a Leupold vxlll 3-9x40 with the b&c reticle. I was deadly with it. The wife got ahold of it and killed a few things and then informed me that that was her rifle. I bought a 338 Winchester Magnum, she ain't taking that one from me.
Lsb

Postby Elkhntr08 » 10 22, 2018 •  [Post 11]

My Remington 673. Wife bought it for me for my birthday a few years back. That would be enough, but it points better than a shotgun and loves my handloads. Might be a tad heavy but that tames the kick.
Elkhntr08

Postby Magic » 11 04, 2018 •  [Post 12]

The one that I most regret selling was a Winchester Model 100, 308. Killed my first Elk with it in 1973. Why I thought that I needed a Browning BAR 7mm Rem. I will never know. I have absolutely no regrets for selling it.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Rangerz » 11 07, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Late 50s Browning A5 12 gauge shotgun I got when I was 12. My Dad was a dog trainer and I shot most of his birds for him. Gun has hunted ducks in Mexico, Geese in No. California and deer in Virginia.

Still have it and will never get rid of it.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby Tigger » 11 07, 2018 •  [Post 14]

My Beretta 390 12 ga. It is my do-everything gun. Deer, pheasants, ducks, geese, grouse, turkeys, it handles them all perfectly. It is like an old friend. I will be deer hunting with it tomorrow!
Attachments
Deans Buck 8 resized.jpg
Deans Buck 8 resized.jpg (299.66 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
Tigger

Postby Elkduds » 11 07, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby ishy » 11 08, 2018 •  [Post 16]

An older Remington BDL 22-250 with a simple straight 6x scope. Mom said she is selling all my dad's guns when he dies-some restitution for all the money issue dad has caused her over the years with hunting costs. So I made sure I snagged it while Dad is very much alive and well. Then my older brother asked me about it and starts some sob story how he killed his first deer with it. I don't feel bad-he doesn't even hunt any more!
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 11 08, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I love that Savage 99 and the old lever gun linked by Elkduds
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Jhg » 11 09, 2018 •  [Post 18]

I found that 99 at a gun shop on consignment. The stock had split at some point and the owner had done a really poor repair job using sheet rock screws. When that didn't work he went to duct tape. (Some people should not be allowed to repair anything, especially gun stocks.) Given the guns condition the asking price was unrealistic.
Anyway, I know the difference between a diamond in the rough and a worn out or fatally abused gun, so I made my offer and they accepted it. I was sure I could repair the stock. The rest of the gun was dirty but showed little use and though the bore was very dirty I had that feeling it would be in excellent condition.

After removing the stock, I opened up the crack and was able to get a good bond using Gorilla Glue. Next I drilled out the screw holes on the drill press with a bit to match my smallest plug cutter and plugged the holes. I was able to match the stock pretty closely and make them invisible by using stains, some surface scratching to match the pore structure of the parent wood, and generally fussing over it. I removed the metal butt plate and matched a recoil butt to it using my disk sander so as to not change the stock in case some future steward wanted to bring it back to original. Most people cut the butt straight to accept a recoil. I needed that extra 1-1/4 throw anyway for it to fit my longer the average reach.

It came with the famous Weaver 4X scope. I used that to test the rifles accuracy and with premium ammo was getting 1-1/4 or less groups off the bench at 100, which is about as good as I can shoot anyhow. Reassured and mighty pleased with the rifle, I put a Merit adjustable aperture sight on it. Mated with a Firesight bead its a fantastic set up for aging eyes and low light if you wish to go back to the basics. Its a very accurate gun.

Thats the story and I hope it inspires others to be on the lookout for those rifles that usually are out of your price range but met with calamity or ignorant ownership. Sometimes all a gun needs is a little love and patience to bring it back to glory. What better way to acquire a hunting companion?
Jhg

Postby Elkduds » 11 10, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Jhg, the more you post RE your m99, the better it sounds. Thanks for posting. What bullets are you shooting w it @ elk? What do you consider max range w the iron sights?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Jhg » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Hi Mark. Its a 1960 model F. Has a rep for being a kicker but I never noticed it hunting. As a matter of fact in the woods its seems a very quiet gun at the shot but that may be in my mind because off the bench (concrete) it is plenty loud.
I shoot 165 grain coppers and have had excellent results using them. There are great lead bullets out there but I went to copper given its retainment of mass. I don't hand load, so for hunting I splurge on premium ammo. I get better accuracy by about an inch over standard ammo using premium hand checked/sized ammo.

The Merit adjustable aperture is really cool. In low light I open it up and can still make the shot. As the morning brightens up I close it down and I would feel confident shooting out to 100 yards in good light. My eyes are the limiting factor these days and the sight is more accurate the smaller the opening.

My philosophy on hunting is getting closer so thats why I have the set up I use. I am not interested in making even moderately long shots. I just don't enjoy killing animals that way.

It is wonderful carrying a rifle that does not have a scope. Snow, rain and whatever are practically a non-issue. Not so with a scope. Fall down and bump the gun? The worry for those sights getting tweeked is almost zero. Less weight to carry and the rifle just seems more handy. Especially a gun like the 99 that has a stock profile that was designed for iron sights anyway. Most newer gun stocks are set up for getting your eye in line with a scope, a higher sightline off the receiver than iron sights.
Jhg