Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A Change Of Scenery

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A Change Of Scenery

Postby Swede » 11 29, 2018 •  [Post 1]

For years I spent most of my elk three stand hunting time in semi-arid parts of Oregon. The focus was on water holes and wallows that showed good trails coming in and good use of the water. These last two years I have gone to different areas both of which were a lot wetter. I have found differences in use patterns, but the same principles apply. Find spots with concentrated elk use.
If you do not have a water hole destination, you need to be prepared to act quickly. This year I had one elk come down the trail quietly from behind and quickly pass by. It was gone before I had a chance to get my bow or anything else. The critter stopped behind a clump of trees and just walked away, always staying behind some good cover. When it got out of range I think it rolled in the dust and laughed at the imbecile sitting in the tree stand. I hate those sneaky elk.
Anyway I think the change of scenery has been good and I have found an excellent hunting area.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: A Change Of Scenery

Postby stringunner » 12 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I’m hoping one of these years I will be able to make it over to this new honey hole of yours Swede. The way you talk about it, it resembles the Garden of Eden of elk tree stand hunting! Where else can you swat them like flies as you told me about this past September! :lol:
stringunner

Postby Swede » 12 16, 2018 •  [Post 3]

The benefit of the new area besides the scenery is that it has elk throughout the entire season and there are more locations where I could ambush one. I still think where we hunted is as good for the first 3-5 days of the season. With the season opening 8/24 next season, it may actually improve things. I hope you get to hunt Oregon before you head out of State for Old Mossyhorn.
Swede

Postby stringunner » 12 16, 2018 •  [Post 4]

If all goes as planned, I’m planning on hunting our original haunts opening weekend for 3 days with Hunter to get him his first experience in a stand. I plan to place two stands in the same tree at one of our spots. I’m really hopeful we can get an elk down so he can be a part of it before dad and I head to Wyoming. We are planning on a spring bear hunt up there aswell in a ground blind to get him accustomed to sitting all day. He is getting excited to go “hunting” and not just scouting.

I’m hopeful and planning on joining you in the “new” spot in 2020 to see if it’s in fact the garden of eden of elk hunting! 8-)
Looking forward to helping you pack out your huge bull!
stringunner

Postby Swede » 12 16, 2018 •  [Post 5]

You should hunt where I did if you want a bear. I saw more bears over there in one season that in all of the seasons I hunted our old haunts. I saw four bears in just one morning at my stand. In the afternoon my cousin saw three there.
Swede