Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Useless Contraptions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Useless Contraptions

Postby Swede » 12 02, 2018 •  [Post 1]

People are always trying to make something to sell. There are numerous contraptions and gimmicks put on the market, I suppose every year. My favorite has been on the market for several years. It is the Butt Out. I can't think of anything more useless in a hunters pack, can you?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Useless Contraptions

Postby Elkhntr08 » 12 03, 2018 •  [Post 2]

That thing always seemed like a medieval torture contraption to me. I haven’t own a Oxonics, but it looks pretty worthless IMO. Never gonna fool an animal’s nose.
Elkhntr08

Postby Indian Summer » 12 03, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Scent Lok.... “Forget the wind... just hunt”

Are you kidding me!!! :roll:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 12 03, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Go look up HECS clothing. says you are invisible to animals and has a video to prove it!
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 12 03, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Tigger wrote:Go look up HECS clothing. says you are invisible to animals and has a video to prove it!

Me in my HECS suit.
Attachments
5DEB184F-9175-4590-ADF8-869E51E6A7DE.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 03, 2018 •  [Post 6]

See tigger, those suits DO work! :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 12 04, 2018 •  [Post 7]

There ya go, further proof. My computer is acting a little slow, no doubt from the stampede of guys buying HECS suits on Amazon.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 12 04, 2018 •  [Post 8]

What a bunch of goof balls. The Butt Out tool is a plastic devise you insert into the rectum of your downed critter so you can pull out the intestines and remove the feces. That way there is no contamination on the inside of the deer or whatever. It even has a nice plastic stopper on the shaft so you won't run your thumb up the anus during the insert procedure. :D
Joe, you posted the wrong picture. That is the one showing the king's new clothes, and not his HECS suit. Go back and get the right one please.
Swede

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 04, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I have no proof but I don't believe Scent Loc does anything useful. I won't buy products with it. I figure added bulk with no benefit.

As far as the butt out, I have one and have used it a few times. I bought it on the advice of a friend and I actually find it kind of useful. Anyone remember the Cough Silencer?
VT Sasquatch

Postby Swede » 12 04, 2018 •  [Post 10]

And what is wrong with the cough silencer? I have never had one, but was told they can be used at either end of your digestive track to keep the noise down.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 12 04, 2018 •  [Post 11]

VT Sasquatch wrote:I have no proof but I don't believe Scent Loc does anything useful. I won't buy products with it. I figure added bulk with no benefit.

As far as the butt out, I have one and have used it a few times. I bought it on the advice of a friend and I actually find it kind of useful. Anyone remember the Cough Silencer?

Scent Lok lost a class action lawsuit for false advertising. There’s your proof.
Indian Summer

Postby Lsb » 12 04, 2018 •  [Post 12]

A knife in your pack with more than a 3" blade. My 2 blade case trapper is plenty to break down an elk
Lsb

Postby Roosiebull » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:People are always trying to make something to sell. There are numerous contraptions and gimmicks put on the market, I suppose every year. My favorite has been on the market for several years. It is the Butt Out. I can't think of anything more useless in a hunters pack, can you?

I keep meaning to buy one of those to hang on my rear view mirror
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I had to look up what a “butt out” is. Yikes :o
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Lsb wrote:A knife in your pack with more than a 3" blade. My 2 blade case trapper is plenty to break down an elk

Not for me,I tried on a big bull this year with a 4" skinner and 4' drop point.Give me a 6" blade anytime,and I have broke down a lot of elk in my day.

Break off one of those skinny small blades by accident and a person is left with a handle in their hand.I also carry a K-bar survival knife in my saddle bags.
Small knives are like cheap bullets. They are ok when everything goes right,but won't perform well when things go wrong
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Indian Summer should be more careful when posting pictures of his snowflafe camo. Could be considered racial by some. :lol:

On the other hand, I bought a butt out tool at a yard sale once. Think I gave 25 cents for it. I tried it out twice before retiring it to my useless contraptions junk pile. The first time it actually worked and preformed as advertised. But the next time it ripped a new A-hole on a pronghorn. Made a crappy mess out of it. Pun intended. :o
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Swede wrote:It is the Butt Out.
makes a great white elephant gift :lol:

I was given one,.. tried it once ,.. didnt work on the mulie butt hole I had, turned into a bad expierience
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Swede wrote:And what is wrong with the cough silencer? I have never had one, but was told they can be used at either end of your digestive track to keep the noise down.

And we know what end Swede needs to use :lol:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Lefty wrote:
Swede wrote:It is the Butt Out.
makes a great white elephant gift :lol:

I was given one,.. tried it once ,.. didnt work on the mulie butt hole I had, turned into a bad expierience

I'm not seeing how it would be a good experience even if it worked well!!!
Roosiebull

Postby Lsb » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 20]

saddlesore wrote:
Lsb wrote:A knife in your pack with more than a 3" blade. My 2 blade case trapper is plenty to break down an elk

Not for me,I tried on a big bull this year with a 4" skinner and 4' drop point.Give me a 6" blade anytime,and I have broke down a lot of elk in my day.

Break off one of those skinny small blades by accident and a person is left with a handle in their hand.I also carry a K-bar survival knife in my saddle bags.
Small knives are like cheap bullets. They are ok when everything goes right,but won't perform well when things go wrong

I'm sure you have. Separate them at the joints and don't split the sternum or pelvis and you shouldn't have to worry about breaking a blade. I used to carry bigger knives but just didn't use them.
Lsb

Postby Elkduds » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 21]

Essential survival gear. You might need 2.

dehydrated water.jpg
dehydrated water.jpg (7.8 KiB) Viewed 9812 times
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 22]

How about camouflage underwear if you can call it a contraption?

Lefty wrote:And we know what end Swede needs to use

My wife is wondering how you knew.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 12 05, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Lsb wrote:
saddlesore wrote:

I'm sure you have. Separate them at the joints and don't split the sternum or pelvis and you shouldn't have to worry about breaking a blade. I used to carry bigger knives but just didn't use them.

Carrying knives isn't all about taking care of an elk in the filed.Plenty of other uses, many in an emergcy
saddlesore

Postby wawhitey » 12 06, 2018 •  [Post 24]

The scent control stuff. To a certain extent, i do what is reasonable to keep my human scent down, just like you try to move quietly in the woods, making a small amount of noise is better than a large amount, right? But man, if a guy was to spray everything down with non scent, wear scent lock, those silly respirator masks, ozonics bags, crazy clothing storage, all this work youd have to put into it, and when all is said and done, you still have to play the wind anyway. Here i am, sleeping in the bed of my truck, wearing my hunting clothes to bed (its 9°f) currently hunkered down next to a raging wood fire.... zero possibility of scent control. Yet somehow, im having deer at my stands all the time, just by playing the wind. Go figure.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 06, 2018 •  [Post 25]

Elkduds wrote:Essential survival gear. You might need 2.

dehydrated water.jpg

Not so sure about your dehydrated water. But I hear Jack Daniels makes some mighty fine dehydrated corn! :lol:
>>>---WW---->

Postby RAMMONT » 12 06, 2018 •  [Post 26]

saddlesore wrote:
Lsb wrote:
saddlesore wrote:

Carrying knives isn't all about taking care of an elk in the filed.Plenty of other uses, many in an emergcy

Exactly, I don't know where saddlesore hunts in Montana but where I hunt I carry a small hatchet or long knife for hacking through deadfalls or making shelters when the weather turns bad. I've also used my 9" Becker to skin elk, it makes pretty quick work when you only need one swipe along the side of the animal to get to the spine.
RAMMONT

Postby saddlesore » 12 06, 2018 •  [Post 27]

I hunt Colorado.
saddlesore

Postby RAMMONT » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 28]

saddlesore wrote:I hunt Colorado.

Then that explains the difference in knife choices. We have so many downed trees around where I live and hunt that you have use a big knife or hatchet from time to time just to make a path through it. When there is snow on the ground or it's really windy you have to be very careful. We've had several people over the last couple of years that were killed while hiking well used trails due to deadfalls being blown down.

I know that when I hunted in Arizona and Utah I had no need for some big knife or a hatchet, but now that I've needed one or the other for the last few years I can't imagine not having one or the other no matter where I hunt.
RAMMONT

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 29]

Swede wrote:And what is wrong with the cough silencer? I have never had one, but was told they can be used at either end of your digestive track to keep the noise down.

I would never want to silence my "grunt tube."
VT Sasquatch

Postby stringunner » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 30]

Swede for the win. This should be on the top 5 posts of the year on WapitiTalk! :lol:
stringunner

Postby Roosiebull » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 31]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Indian Summer should be more careful when posting pictures of his snowflafe camo. Could be considered racial by some. :lol:

On the other hand, I bought a butt out tool at a yard sale once. Think I gave 25 cents for it. I tried it out twice before retiring it to my useless contraptions junk pile. The first time it actually worked and preformed as advertised. But the next time it ripped a new A-hole on a pronghorn. Made a crappy mess out of it. Pun intended. :o

You bought a used "butt out"? :o
Roosiebull

Postby Lsb » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 32]

Roosiebull wrote:
>>>---WW----> wrote:Indian Summer should be more careful when posting pictures of his snowflafe camo. Could be considered racial by some. :lol:

You bought a used "butt out"? :o

Worse, he tried it, twice!
Lsb