Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Spikes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Spikes

Postby Swede » 03 13, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I have seen many spikes with the cows in the Summer, including September. When do they get the boot? Is this an arbitrary matter that the herd bull decides, or do you see some kind of pattern?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Spikes

Postby Indian Summer » 03 14, 2019 •  [Post 2]

They hang with the herd like any cow until they are a branch antlered bull. At that point they will still be there until the rut kicks in.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 14, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Spikes are still just babies or youngsters in the elk world. I have seen them in the cow herd even during the rut. big bulls don't seem to consider them to be competition. Around here, the spikes will still migrate down with the cows in the winter.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 03 14, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I have seen just what WW has observed. I have observed them going alone in September too. There does not seem to be a set time for them to get the boot. I am not sure they all join bachelor groups the third year of their lives either, but there are fewer small branched bulls hanging with the cows and calves during that third summer.
Swede

Postby otcWill » 03 15, 2019 •  [Post 5]

They remain with the herd until they become curious and start breaking from the herd on their own accord in search of "action". As some have said, they are of no threat/interest to a herd bull and so he won't bother pushing them around.
otcWill

Postby Swede » 03 15, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Otc, that makes a lot of sense for sure. But why do they leave the cows and join a bachelor group? Maybe they are equipped with a teenagers brain? I suspect they are sneaking out smoking, drinking and talking trash to try to impress the others like themselves, not knowing that when they go back to the girls, the old bull is going to come in and kick their (you know what) and send them on their way. Life just is not fair. :shock:
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 15, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Spikes that are off by themselves are the easiest elk there is to call in. They are lost and they are lonesome and looking for companionship. They will come in to just about any call you throw at them.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics