Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sticking Around

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sticking Around

Postby Swede » 01 30, 2019 •  [Post 1]

What determines how long you can sit in your tree stand and how many days you can last?

As RJ and others here can tell you, I can make a long day of it and do it for the entire season if necessary. I have stayed in my stand for over 13 hours and was back the next day for another long spell. I have had bulls bugling and even breeding just out of sight, and I did not move. I sat and waited. BTW: It has paid.
It was not always that way. I remember the first time I tried to sit in my new homemade stand. I lasted about an hour and was so bored, I bailed. So: What changed? What did it take to convince me, or would it take to convince you to stay put in your stand?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Sticking Around

Postby stringunner » 02 13, 2019 •  [Post 2]

If there is fresh sign, if I have had a good run of game cameras for the 30 days leading up to the hunt, and if I don’t get a lot of other hunting pressure during my sits, I can stay 13-16 hours per day for 8-10 days. After day 10 my vacation is up and I be got to go home. 8-)
stringunner

Postby Lefty » 02 15, 2019 •  [Post 3]

My dad was a whitetail stand hunter when I was a kid. I did not fair well I did not have the patience to sit.

I still can’t sit long in a goose pit, or ground blind.

I had a little Bear on a bait , he knew I wouldn’t last long and generally waited until I was out of the blind to run in and grab the good snacks, the little guy had less patience then me.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 02 15, 2019 •  [Post 4]

What keeps me going to my stand and keeps me there is confidence it will pay off. I have a lot more confidence in a good stand than any other way of hunting elk. I could not sit like I do in a stand if I was not confident it would work. One of the biggest problems I have observed with other stand hunters is they want to move around too much Stay put unless there is good reason, based on some real evidence, to leave.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 14, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I know that in a stand or ground blind is more effective for me than other methods. But I find it too slow for me. Ive had one ground blind location that was the exception. I was entertained by thew amount of sage grouse, Hungarian partridge , chuckar, song birds, jack rabbits , cotton tail and pygmy rabbits. The place was incredible.
I did have some huge bulls come into me under 40 yards,,.. Lets put it this way I learned a lot hunting elk from a blind those few hunts
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H