Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Camp Location

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Camp Location

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 12, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Simply put....how do you decide on a camp spot?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Camp Location

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Here are some things I consider. Fairly level and large enough for the tent, table, target, vehicles and other equipment. Safe: I don't like snags hanging over my camp site. Warn but not hot. I like shade trees, but not cold holes or to be along a stream. I don't want to drive far to my walk in spot. A 10-15 minute drive is fine, but I like to avoid those long trips every day. I avoid dirty dusty locations. I prefer to get back away from gravel or dirt roads. Avoid trashy locations where hunter pigs have camped for years. I like smooth grassy spots, but avoid, brushy places or lots of natural debris. Also avoid places used to gather cattle.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 04 13, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Base camp needs to have a fairly flat spot 10x12 for the tent. I need 2 trees about 10-14 feet apart to ratchet a hitch rail to and water as close as possible to the rail. I don’t want camp neighbors on top of me. Within sight I can handle. I like at least a few trees around because it’s cozy and I can hang quarters or put them underneath for shade. I don’t care about being close to a road because I’m never there when people are driving.

Spike camp: In a location where I eliminate a big elevation gain to get to elk. I don’t mind some distance to them... I want some actually, but I don’t care to scale mountains and get sweaty first thing in the morning. Other than that I just need a small level spot to put the 8x8. If possible I stay away from elk but if I’ve put in the time and effort to pack in a camp they will be everywhere so I’ll be disturbing elk a little for sure. I don’t like that but it seems that is always a necessary sacrifice when setting spike camps. It’d be nice if there was water nearby to filter but if not too bad. A spike camp might not have it all but it has the most important thing of all... elk!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby six » 04 13, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Most important factor for me is once I shut the truck off I'm not getting back in it until I tag out, relocate or head home. A few trees make solid anchors to fasten the wall tent or bivi tarp too.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Lefty » 04 13, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I pick my place to be a short walk to start hunting n the morning generally the legal distant from the road
In the small trees or open maybe the end of the road spur I do have some regular places

Slept this location maybe A total of 12 nights through put the year
07953E0A-05F5-4175-A340-9AB75889914E.jpeg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby LarryBud » 04 15, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I like a location close to many active elk.

After that, a flat spot to sleep, a good place to set up the common space, access to fire wood, no deadheads to fall on me, as far from a well travels road as possible ( within FS rules ).

Number one being the most important.
LarryBud

Postby Kessler10 » 04 19, 2019 •  [Post 7]

my style has changed a bit on this over the years.

I kow prefer to be more mobile and move my camp more frequently. A couple years ago I made the mistake of keeping my camp in the same spot thinking the area would eventually have elk come through. Although this spot has usually held elk it just wasnt happening that year and I wish I would have moved spots after the first 2 days.

now I wont camp in a spot more than 2 nights unless I see fresh sign nearby.

When moving spots the first thing of course is water being close by and in a spot that is not on top of a bedding area. Having a level/flat area is important, but I have come to find out when you move as much as I do or want to, you sometimes just have to make due and sleep with your head on the high side. :lol:
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby Tigger » 04 19, 2019 •  [Post 8]

You should camp in a place that helps you kill elk. One thing we have discussed is, should you sacrifice distance for comfort? For sure to some degree, but how much distance for how much comfort?
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 19, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I have tons of reasons why I choose an elk camp spot (base, bivy, or true back country) but really one ONE why I won’t. Do not camp on a saddle. :?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby lilshootergirl » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I've learned be mobile! If there's no elk pack it up! Move, I don't like camping next to people who stay up till 1am parting, then go out hunting. Like to visit, but that needs to happen another time, just my oppinion
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby elkstalker » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Not too far from where I'm hunting, don't really like being close to folks, although when I'm hunting solo I've had some good times with hospitable neighbors. For base camp I bring my water so that's not an issue, but spike camp close to a creek. Fire wood is a bonus, I love having fires at camp, but can cut some on the way too.
elkstalker

Postby 7mmfan » 04 25, 2019 •  [Post 12]

If hunting ground that I'm very familiar with, and have a game plan, I camp as close as I can to minimize travel time. The last couple years though we've been hunting unfamiliar country, so we pick an area with plans A, B, C, etc... and try to camp centrally to those spots, so that as we explore it and change spots we never have to travel to far. Our main camp is a wall tent truck camp so flat, level, proximity to wood and water is important.

At this juncture, we are spike camp ready, but limit those stays to a couple of days. I try to get within one drainage of where the animals I'm after are, and on a similar elevation so that we don't have to much gain or loss either way. I pack enough water to stay for a couple days unless I know water is there. Often though, the water is where the animals are so we have to be careful.

I'm not particularly fond of camping near others if I don't have to. People pay attention to where rigs are parked, especially when they see meat hanging a few years in a row.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Fridaythe13th » 04 25, 2019 •  [Post 13]

What everyone else said. But dont forget not to be in a wind tunnel. The worst elk trip I was ever on we camped in a wind tunnel the wind was blowing night and day. Could not sleep at night because the tent was flapping and moving, no camp fire for cooking my steaks on. Made hunting tough because we weren't sleeping at night. Left a full day early. Never again
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Indian Summer » 04 25, 2019 •  [Post 14]

7mmfan wrote:If hunting ground that I'm very familiar with, and have a game plan, I camp as close as I can to minimize travel time. The last couple years though we've been hunting unfamiliar country, so we pick an area with plans A, B, C, etc... and try to camp centrally to those spots, so that as we explore it and change spots we never have to travel to far. Our main camp is a wall tent truck camp so flat, level, proximity to wood and water is important.

At this juncture, we are spike camp ready, but limit those stays to a couple of days. I try to get within one drainage of where the animals I'm after are, and on a similar elevation so that we don't have to much gain or loss either way. I pack enough water to stay for a couple days unless I know water is there. Often though, the water is where the animals are so we have to be careful.

I'm not particularly fond of camping near others if I don't have to. People pay attention to where rigs are parked, especially when they see meat hanging a few years in a row.

Great post! I couldn’t have said it better...
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby 7mmfan » 04 25, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Fridaythe13th wrote:What everyone else said. But dont forget not to be in a wind tunnel. The worst elk trip I was ever on we camped in a wind tunnel the wind was blowing night and day. Could not sleep at night because the tent was flapping and moving, no camp fire for cooking my steaks on. Made hunting tough because we weren't sleeping at night. Left a full day early. Never again

Also a good point. One of the things I don't always consciously think about, but its always a consideration that we plan around.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan