Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree Stand Locations For 2019

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree Stand Locations For 2019

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2019 •  [Post 1]

How many of you plan to hunt some from a tree stand this year and do you have a location(s) pick already? I plan to hunt elk from my stands and have some locations selected. There may be one or two locations added when I go on my July scouting trip.
Lefty: If you are nervous about falling, remember that you can ascend the tree and descent while always being attached by a safety line to the tree. Claiming to be afraid is lame.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tree Stand Locations For 2019

Postby wawhitey » 05 14, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Only treestand hunting for whitetail this year. have 5 stands up already, going to be putting up 7 more here pretty soon. All based around buck bedding areas and water sources.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Camelcluch » 05 14, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I have a few spots picked out for whitetail if I draw. There are a few places I would like to drag a stand to for elk but that is also draw dependent. I have been collecting equipment for four months. I found an 8.5# LW Assault and went with beast sticks. I should be around 17# so making the 2 mile hike up the mountain won’t be too bad.
Camelcluch

Postby Swede » 05 15, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Camelcluch, Buddy, even if I was going in 5 miles in I would take a comfortable stand with me. I have had light weight uncomfortable stands, and ones that are very comfortable. There is probably 4 pounds difference. Since I sit all day in my stand until I get a critter or the season is over, I want one that I can be comfortable in for over 13 hours straight. My favorite is the Millennium M100(U).
Swede

Postby Camelcluch » 05 16, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I thought about a few of the millenniums but I didn’t want to mess with the bracket. I went with LW because it seemed to give me the best combo of comfort, weight and huntability. I thought I could change the seat pad if I needed too and the adjustments in the seat angle were nice.
Camelcluch

Postby Swede » 05 19, 2019 •  [Post 6]

The best part of the Millennium Tree Stands is the bracket system. It makes hanging a stand fast, easy and the safest. All you need to carry with you up the tree the first time is the bracket and a line attached to the stand. Hang the bracket upside down, facing the direction you want when you are seated. Since all the weight you are dealing with is a light bracket, it is safe and easy. Once you have the bracket in place, flip it over and it tightens on the tree. Now pull up the stand and set the back protrusion into the slot made for it. I like to lube the slot just a little so the protrusion goes in super easy, but it is not necessary.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 05 19, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote: I like to lube the slot just a little so the protrusion goes in super easy, but it is not necessary.

I swapped out one on my m150s for an m60 today, had a hell of a time pulling it out of the receiver.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 05 20, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Whitey: Was it just tight or was there something in the receiver slot or on the stand hanger protrusion? I have had tight ones, but they were not real difficult. There is a reason I have started using a little lithium (axel) grease.
I would advise against WD40 due to the smell; and I leave my stands up for over a month.
Swede

Postby Camelcluch » 05 21, 2019 •  [Post 9]

If I was leaving my stand up, I would get something with a recliner. I putting up and taking out daily. My two miles is about 1500 feet in elevation gain. I needed something light and fast. Without going to the LWCG stand or Dan Infalt’s stand, I think I found a good system. I have been wanting a millennium ladder for my property for a few years. Maybe one day.
Camelcluch

Postby wawhitey » 05 21, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:Whitey: Was it just tight or was there something in the receiver slot or on the stand hanger protrusion? I have had tight ones, but they were not real difficult. There is a reason I have started using a little lithium (axel) grease.
I would advise against WD40 due to the smell; and I leave my stands up for over a month.

Dont think there was anything in there. Ill try the grease. Had that stand up almost 10 months. Got one more new stand set today in a killer spot. Doing another in the a.m. currently enjoying a nice fire on the mountain. Getting up early and getting more done.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I find the stands a little tight too. That way they don't rattle or wobble. You could sand/file them just a little to smooth things out, but a small amount of grease has done it for me.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Got one more up yesterday. Its only 50 yards away from another i have, but from what i saw out of my stand last year, its in a perfect location. Leaving the other up for now though, and limbed up a couple trees that screwed me out of a clear shot on my target buck twice last year.
wawhitey