Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First time gear list

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First time gear list

Postby Osage Outlaw » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I'm preparing for my first elk hunt in Colorado. It will be an early season archery hunt. I've been slowly buying gear when my limited budget allows. I could use some advice on what I still need to get.

This is what I have so far. I'm probably forgetting some items.

Vortex Binos
2 new pair of hiking boots
Base camp tent
Bivy tent
Trekking poles
20 degree sleeping bag
lightweight camo pants and jackets
elk calls
water filter
water bladder
day pack
large pack
wool socks
game bags

Things I still need to get:

jet boil
food
base layers
bear spray
knife with replaceable blades

I lost a lot of weight preparing for this trip and none of my hunting clothes fit anymore. I'm trying to find low cost options. I found some digital army camo at a goodwill store and bought 5 sets of pants and jackets. I plan on wearing those and plaid shirts with khaki pants. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas for other options. Thanks for any help.
Osage Outlaw

Re: First time gear list

Postby wawhitey » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Osage Outlaw wrote:

Things I still need to get:

jet boil
food
base layers
bear spray

You spelled sidearm wrong
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Osage, a few things for your "things I still need to get" list to consider (get or put together).

Sleep Pad
Basic First Aid kit for your day pack
Kill Kit for your day pack (flagging, fixed blade knife, disposable blade knife, bone saw, knife/broadhead sharpener, small squirt bottle of peroxide, game bags, chili powder, 100' Para cord, thin rubber gloves X 2 sets, 2 commercial grade black plastic sacks )
Headlamp, maybe 2
Batteries for all
Compass/map
GPS?
Rangefinder?
Camera and ClipShot
Rain Gear
Inflatable pillow (use for pillow on your bivy hunts, or, to sit on when glassing)
Dromedary bag/10L (to hold filtered water on your bivy hunts)
Light beany cap
Light hunting gloves
Pitch sticks for fire starting
Trekking poles
Elknut's Playbook
Crocs for wearing around camp/stream crossing
Facemask for face camo, and, keeps the bugs off your face
Watch w/alarm, or, small alarm clock
Bino harness?
Ya, probably a pistola to have at base camp for security.

Hope this helps a bit; we love helping people shop ;). If you're an active NRA member, LEO, shooting sports instructor, Fishing guide or outfitter, prior or retired MIL, Fire and Rescue, or one of a few other types, I can share a gear discount site with you where you can get significant discounts. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 4]

GPS, maps, (GOOD) compass. Small first aid kit. Nothing real elaborate. Bandaids and a little gauze for larger cuts. Asprin and what ever meds you may need and some chap stick. Rolaids or Tums. That should cover the first aid fairly well. Cordage, 550 or bank line. Game bags. Duct tape is always handy and a couple of Bic lighters. No need for the bear spray.

Just me, but, I prefer a canteen with cup and canteen stove over a water bladder. More versatile and less weight! Seems like everyone forgets to add TP to their list!!! :lol:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I think you guys are overwhelming the guy with unnecessary items that are just nice to have. Side arms, bear spray? He is not going into combat or the Alaska wilderness.
You will do well on a limited budget without a lot of the things mentioned. If you have a buddy going along, you will be able to divide some of the common items too.
I have never had an inflatable pillow. My jacket gets rolled up and serves that purpose. I have never had a Clip shot. I can set my camera on something else when the time comes. ditto trekking poles. If you need one find one in the woods. Facemask? I don't have one. etc., etc. As your budget allows, and as you take a fancy for more junk, you can add it later. Just my thought.
I assume you don't need to be reminded to bring things like your toothbrush, but if your 20 degree sleeping bag has been used, you may find yourself wearing your coat to sleep in, and using something else for a pillow.
Improvise if you need to, but don't overload yourself or your budget. Get out there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Osage, don't listen to Swede, he doesn't like gear, he thinks it makes you weak. In fact, he sometimes doesn't even take his bow hunting and prefers to just whittle a spear out of a fat vine maple, split the end with his Old Timer pocket knife, and strap a piece of flint on to the tip ;). Seriously though, only a handful of the items we're mentioning are absolutely needed... the others are just to make life easier and arguably, more interesting during your hunt. Heck, who doesn't like to sit and play with a GPS while sitting on an elky hillside eating a snack :D. As far as a facemask goes, it works as camo, and, if there are marauding airborne bugs where you are gonna hunt, dropping that mesh mask out from under your hat, over your mug and neck, will keep you from screaming away from the edge of that wet meadow (while setting up and calling in big stinky) if the no-seeums and skeetos are eating your face off.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Now WapitiTalk is making sense. Even the "Swede, he doesn't like gear" part. Osage, if you choose to come to Oregon, we can hunt elk with clubs. :lol:
Everyone that has been here long can tell you about the time I urinated on a bear. True story.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Don't think your 20 degree bag is going to cut it. If you are hunting 8-10,000 feet you will get frost at night . An inflatable insulated sleeping pad like Klymit's V will get you off the ground . If you don't have a good bed, you won't get the rest you need. A ground cloth /tarp. If it rains,the ground will be damp and come up thru you sleeping bag and the tarp or ground cloth will protect the inflatable pad.
Don't know where you are coming from, but the Rockies can throw some nasty weather at you at the end of August. Be prepared.Two days in a tent in continuous rain, can be disastrous. Don't scrimp. Take what you need to be prepared for the worse ,and hope for the best. What will you use for heat and to dry things out.

I would add TP paper, (pine cones are sharp) and some individual Handiwipes for the final wipe to keep from getting sore. A small scoop shovel to bury it in. Some larger body wipes will keep you from stinking like a goat after a few 2-3days( which elk definitely do not like)
A few pair of latex gloves will keep all those finger cracks from stating after your hands are in blood.

Super Glue and Wound Seal in your first aid kit.A #16 hypodermic needle and a 4 foot length of 4 #mono filament fishing line can be used to sew yourself up if you are tough enough.
A more substantial knife for use around camp. Those replaceable blades don't stand up to heavy duty work
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Saddlesore got me to thinking again: You won't last long if you are cold, wet, hungry or sore for extended periods.
He is also right about the 20 degree bag. I would not buy another, but would plan on something to supplement. I wish there was some correlation between the temperature rating of a sleeping bag and what would be a comfortable outside temperature to sleep in one was. Well maybe there is a correlation. Add 30 degrees to the number on the rating and plan to have some long insulated underwear or warm pjs just in case. I sleep in a minus 30 degree bag all season, and if it is warm out I just open it up a little. At 20 degrees it is still cool, but livable. At zero it would be a covering for another zero degree bag. I am not an especially cold person. It seems the industry should change the way sleeping bags are rated.
I would guess there have been millions of moms that had their kids knocking on the door at midnight because it was too cold in the backyard for the sleeping bag they were given. :D
Swede

Postby Elkhntr08 » 06 07, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:Now WapitiTalk is making sense. Even the "Swede, he doesn't like gear" part. Osage, if you choose to come to Oregon, we can hunt elk with clubs. :lol:
Everyone that has been here long can tell you about the time I urinated on a bear. True story.

I heard you kill elk with a steely stare.
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 06 07, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Elkhntr08 wrote:I heard you kill elk with a steely stare.

I am working on it, but currently still need some equipment. Don't tell anyone, but I still use a match or lighter to start a fire.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 06 07, 2019 •  [Post 12]

The reason some of us dont need all that gear,..
Swede and I should have a face mask with a mug that needs to be hidden, scares women children and most bears

Im a BSA Scoutmaster and do a lot of off season camping January through April. Saddlesore is dead on about a sleeping bag in the Rockies ( well so is Swede :roll: )While I do suggest a 20 degree bag for summer only camping boys are expected to bring a blanket or a good bag liner along with sleeping clothing.
You need to have more than just an inflatable,pad. like mentioned a pad with insulation
I have a higher end down bag only for summer backpacking and it is -5 bag. My parked at the site bag is a -5 degree bag,.. both have hood ( but are not a Mummy bag)

Unless you are an active camper/backpacker I would suggest just hunting from your main camp this first year

My doc suggested a "comfort kit" as a replacement first aid kit,.. be comfortable for those little annoying possible problems

I believe 2 legged predators are a possible problem,.. Maybe just me,.. but Ill use bear spray long before I would pull a firearm 2-pack of bear repelant $29 at Costco,. but a firearm for grouse could always be handy
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 06 07, 2019 •  [Post 13]

You cannot buy your way to success, but you can deprive yourself of good opportunities by being poorly equipped. Hunters did as well in 1960 as they do today. What items did not exist in 1960 that you are being told to buy? They may be nice to add things, but are not essential. Get the essentials and add on as your budget permits.
Information on this forum is free. Take advantage of it. Some information is universally true, some is often true, some is true in some select areas, and some is pretty much useless. Try to figure out which it is you are reading.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 06 07, 2019 •  [Post 14]

wawhitey wrote:
Osage Outlaw wrote:Things I still need to get:

jet boil
food
base layers
bear spray

You spelled sidearm wrong

8-)
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 06 08, 2019 •  [Post 15]

.A fun adventure at twenty could be near disaster for a 50 year old,.. or someone older than Swede

Im not an organizational freak but I do like to be properly prepared
An elk trip does requires some of both. Swede made a good comment about not needing some items. And some items are a big deal to some and not others
Other reasons for choices for gear and items are personal. And what is important to me may not be a consideration to others. I guarantee you will not use any ones exact supply list after you go out a couple times.
I think the guys that have been around for a while their list has change some over the years. Gears lists tend to build up over time,.. then diminish as time goes by. My first aid/survival kit was that way at one time. A neighbor an friend who is my doc and a National Gaurd Dr. and spent ime in Afganistan is the one who steered me towards a comfort kit. A fellow I use to hunt and play hockey with was a a Ranger and medic,.. his was a survival kit, I was also able to take a "real" First Aid course. And another neighbor and friend and doc told me I had to share with a few others in the neighborhood where I hunting, because they were the ones that would retrieve me.
So now my first aid and survival kit. weighs less than a llb,.. including my phone
For me a warm comfortable sleeping is important My bag is warmer than many and I may take sleeping clothing. I also like to stay clean or be clean when going to bed So my personal hygiene supplies and sleeping reflects that.

An example is food. there are real hardcore freaks ( my hats to those guys) that live on tortilla, peanutbutter and bacon sandwiches,.. no stove, no cooking etc.
My first elk trip. We all ate better at camp than we did at home; with borderline gourmet breakfast and supper,.. and sandwiches for lunch
When hunting alone from camp I do not warm anything. I may bring precooked finger foods. My daughter however warms( jet boil ) food every night even if its frieze drid cooking
For some that coffee for breakfast is satisfying, or an evening nightcap to wind down is important. Me I was an Advil PM guy. this year my elk camp had evolved We have a short toyhauler RV. I will now awake to room at whateve temp I want and be able to put pants on standing up and my socs and boots while sitting
Some may not know what is important. Sort of a side story that was a bit extreme : years back a guy stopped at my house during my lunchtime. Asked if I wanted to go on a Boundary waters trip in Northern Mn.
The guys were weekend outdoor warriors and fished /camped from the truck. And supplied themselves like they were camping from the truck including cases of beer.
Sorry but a 7 day trip beer doesn't fit in a Canoe with 13 miles of portaging.
Yet a few years back when my wife backcountry on Shoshone lake in Yellowstone, I brought along a fogger for bugs. I wanted to keep my wife happy around camp And I upped-the- annie for sleeping comfort. RJ mentioned Crocs for camp and water crossing. Not me. But my wife always has her flipflops. I only have one waterway that may need to be crossed,.. And I keep extra boots and soxs at the truck And Im guessing Saddlesore just stays on his ride at water crossings :D

And just to confuse you even more
https://outdoors-international.com/backpacking-gear-list/

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/the-backcountry-hunting-gear-list-breakdown-revisited-for-2017#gs.hozns8
https://andrewskurka.com/backpack-hunting-gear-list-colorado-big-game-early-fall/

I like this style of listing for my hunting and backpacking,..
https://blog.eastmans.com/benchmarks-and-baselines/
Lefty

Postby Osage Outlaw » 06 11, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Thank you for all of the replies and suggestions. Sorry for the late response, I've been on a camping trip. I have a few more items that was were suggested that I forgot to list in my first post. I have a sleeping pad, jetboil, and an inflatable pillow. I plan on getting a wool blanket to go with the sleeping bag. I have a good camp knife and plan to forge out another one to take if I get the time. As far as a side arm goes, I have 2 choices, a 9mm semi auto and a 44 mag. revolver. I know the obvious choice is the 44 but it has an 8.5" barrel and is very heavy. I'm not sure if I want to carry all of that extra weight. However, we are getting bear tags and I am confident I could kill a bear at 40 yards. I've killed 3 deer with it so far.

I am going with a friend who has a first aid kit, GPS, range finder, and some other stuff that we might only need one of. I am meeting with him soon to go over what all I still need. Something I am really unsure of is what kind of clothing should I get. I looked at some of the fancy sitka gear stuff in a hunting store and couldn't believe the prices. So far all i have is some army digital camo pants and jackets and some khaki cargo pants. All purchased at goodwill. I am quickly running out of time to raise some extra funds. I'm going to try to sell a few of my traditional bows and try to find some part time work on my off days.
Osage Outlaw

Postby saddlesore » 06 11, 2019 •  [Post 17]

I was short on funds and bought Bass Pros Dry Bone rain gear about $60 each top and bottom. It has served me well .Very Quiet. If you shop at Costco that 32 Degree poly long johns the sell can't be beat for the price. Very light.Wear them on cold mornings and stuff them in your day pack during the day, Same for their merino wool socks.
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 06 12, 2019 •  [Post 18]

Most of my comments have already been covered but here are a few thoughts:

1. Get OnX maps for your phone. Priceless. Forget the GPS and use your phone. No cell tower needed. Been using it for years. 20% off if you listen to one of Randy Newberg's podcasts and get the discount code (I don't think it is fair for me to share it).

2. You don't need a $100 jetboil that only works with its cup. Buy a cheaper version that will work with any cup.

3. I love my Clip-Shot and would not go without it. It makes you take more pictures, which is always a good thing.

4. You BETTER get the "new" label off your boots. Wear those suckers in really good or blisters will ruin your hunt. Seriously, this is a big deal.

5. Get merino wool socks. just do it. Smartwool are the best, but many will work fine.

6. Forget the bear spray and gun. No need for it in Colorado. Would you take it if you were going fishing? I sure wouldn't unless in Griz country.

7. Study Elknut's playbook and learn how to call. Do not overlook this.

8. I, too, would hunt out of the basecamp this year. Take some of Indian Summer's advice on this. Unless you KNOW there are elk where you intend to bivy, you run the risk of camping somewhere there are no elk.

9. I like Wapiti River elk calls.

10. A 20 degree bag seems awfully light.

11. If you want one piece of equipment that will give you comfort, bring a pad to sit on. I use mine all the time for glassing, lunch, etc. If it is wet or snowy, it really comes in handy.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2019 •  [Post 19]

The quality high tech gear can be expensive
I tend to purchase most of my hunting clothes on sale somewhere.
Buying quality stuff mostly put me in purchasing closeout specials

Some of the sponsors have close out specials I have had great "success" at https://www.campsaver.com/ Iver been buying my KEEN boots andhttps://www.camofire.com/index.php/
I actually had to quit following their sites,.. :lol: too much I wanted

I have bought great discontinued items,2nds and prototypes from Browning, Kings, Danner Lacroix and
Cabelas.
Cabela I bought camo fleese on prototypes where that camo pattern was upside down. Paid $5.00 for the same product listed at $79 and ultralight pants for $5.00 that were before their time
Purchased closeouts from RMEF and DU
I own a lot of Items from Kings,.. at the International Sportsman expo. This year a rain resistant quiet insulated clearance jacket and clearance snow camo I paid $20 of list. Once I bought some screwed up Polaris Bibs that were $15.00 I think the little kid in China misread the inseam,.. instead of 34 inches they were 43 inches :lol:

My daughter had a discount when she was at Sportsmans warehouse, she bought some items on her employee discount and pro-form.

I think these days are gone but Walmart would have closeouts at the end of a selling season.
Craiglist and local online classify adds too. Last year my buddy bought ultra light backpacking tents, packs and bags for a small fraction of new And sometimes some quality items not name brand items at a fraction of the namebrands
Turns a guy into a gear junkie if you are forced to shop
Costco had merino mix underwear for under $10,.. while it doesn't have the same performance as straight up merino wool still and incredible value ,.. However if you will be in the back country wool is un replaceable

Unfortunately This tends to be the wrong time of year for the best bargins
Lefty

Postby six » 07 20, 2019 •  [Post 20]

I have revised and revised and revised this list and I hope to cut it a little more before September. This is about as basic as it gets as we hunt with camp on our backs. No more packing a pickup bed and trailer with all our gear for 1 week and then using 1/3 of it. Hope this helps.

revised list.jpg
revised list.jpg (87.97 KiB) Viewed 15214 times
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Lefty » 07 21, 2019 •  [Post 21]

Osage if you would post your final or to date supplies .

>>>---WW----> wrote:,,,,,,, (GOOD) compass.

You Must of had one of those cheap ones,.. balance on a stump,..,.. tap it with your finger,.move away,.. wait a minute,.. run back up to read before the needle moved :lol:

personally a working compass and knowledge of the local lay of the land to me is way more important than a GPS or mapping system/program. The biggest advantage to a GPS , for me is to mark a kill site
Lefty

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 27, 2019 •  [Post 22]

First of all congrats on the weight loss, that is awesome!!!

Buy tags, not gear...

License, tags, weapon, knife, tp/wipes, headlight 2x, lighter 2-3x, small saw, game bags...almost everything else is a luxury ;)

Don't worry to much on the clothes, I've seen guys shoot elk in blue jeans and a $5 Walmart t-shirt. Over the years it builds up and you can get more of the things you want...going out of state I would second the on-x maps...I prefer the basemaps which is about the same as onX but I feel it has way better detail. Good luck to you sir! Make sure you take pictures and videos so you can enjoy it again and again.
Elkhunttoo