Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What fabric for elk hunting clothes?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What fabric for elk hunting clothes?

Postby Osage Outlaw » 06 27, 2019 •  [Post 1]

What fabric do you guys prefer for early archery season elk hunting clothes?
Osage Outlaw

Re: What fabric for elk hunting clothes?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 27, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Either synthetic or merino for base. Either one wicks moisture well and dries easy. I take a handful of base layers, a couple of mids, and a jacket on my hunts. All long sleeve. I do keep a short sleeve synthetic T in my pack to put on when packing or humping out of a hole. Don’t forget a set of rain gear, you never know. NO cotton.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Osage Outlaw » 06 27, 2019 •  [Post 3]

When you say synthetic, are you referring to something like polyester?
Osage Outlaw

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 27, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Yes, poly. Oftentimes they are a blend. Sitka, KUIU, First Lite, and Pnuma are kind of the leaders in the upper crust hunt clothing line and sales can be had if you watch. That said, your hunt clothing does not have to bear a name big name brand to work. Osage, don’t suppose you’re prior military, a copper, or a fireman? How about an active NRA member? If so, I can steer you to a place or two where you can get up to a 40% discount on First Lite and/or Sitka.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Osage Outlaw » 06 27, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I'm not any of those. I tried to join the Army when I was younger but they wouldn't take me because of my heart issues. Thanks anyway.

You guys might think this is funny but I stopped at a couple thrift stores today and picked up some wool, polyester, and wool blend dress pants. They are different shades of tan and green. They are actually pretty comfortable and very light feeling. I've been wearing khaki pants for deer hunting the last couple of years and haven't had any issues with deer seeing me. I'm going to be looking sharp on that mountain :D
Osage Outlaw

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 28, 2019 •  [Post 6]

As long as those pants are comfortable (and not too noisy), they should work just fine and dandy. I've never gotten too twisted up about the pants I wear hunting, but, I think its important to stay away from cotton and get some comfortable, moisture wicking, breathable, rapid dry tops (base layer and MID). Those clothing items worn on your upper body core are more important in the field than your pants. And as mentioned, they do not have to be name brand or necessarily even camo.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 06 28, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I cannot say there is a fabric that is "best" for early season or late season either. Some expensive fabrics give some advantage in some situations. I have used cotton, including denim in some situations for years. I also use synthetics. It depends on the weather and where and how you are hunting. I change clothes fairly frequently to help deal with the odor issue. I add layers and remove layers to control the heat.
I have been out hunting for nearly 60 years now and never had the real high end anything. The deer and elk really don's seem to notice.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 06 28, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:I cannot say there is a fabric that is "best" for early season or late season either. Some expensive fabrics give some advantage in some situations. I have used cotton, including denim in some situations for years. I also use synthetics. It depends on the weather and where and how you are hunting. I change clothes fairly frequently to help deal with the odor issue. I add layers and remove layers to control the heat.
I have been out hunting for nearly 60 years now and never had the real high end anything. The deer and elk really don's seem to notice.

I think Swede is admitting he stinks!
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 06 28, 2019 •  [Post 9]

There are so many variable conditions
I have some ultra light Cabelas desert camo pant for those warm days.

Ive been wearing long sleeve lightweight poly spandex that seems like it will work on those hot days

Fabrics are so different than in the past Poly alone is dozens maybe hundred of different kinds
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkduds » 06 29, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I have 1 item of Sitka clothing. Vintage Ascent pants, so old the mothwing camo pattern is in brown instead of green. They are quite nice pants for mild weather. Light, stretchy, tough, nice fit, good DWR and fast drying. I can vary base layers under them to match about any Sept. weather. I also have a couple pairs of Costco stretch polyester chinos that are nearly as good and cost $20 new.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 07 02, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I was going through some gear. My ultralight pants are nylon
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 07 05, 2019 •  [Post 12]

It’s not a fashion show and when hunting elk it’s not even about sneaky camo patterns. It’s about mobility and fast drying clothes. Brand names mean nothing either. 4 way stretch polyester is the fabric of choice for sure. If it gets really REALLY cold I will go to wool. But other than that my clothes need to help me move totally unrestricted so I can cover the ground I need to to find and kill elk.... and pack them out.

If you haven’t worn stretchy poly then you can’t compare. Here’s my take..... once you do any heavier non stretch fabrics seem like you have 10 pound dumbbells around your ankles whereas clothes like Sitka make me feel like I have wings! Big difference.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 05, 2019 •  [Post 13]

If you like all the super so called brand name / hi dollar clothes, that's fine. But I have never swallowed the hype or drank the kool-aid . You usually can't buy an elk with money for hi dollar gear.

I've been hunting the mountains for close to 40 years and shot way more than my fair share of elk. And I always have worn cotton or BDU cotton blend. The elk didn't seem to care what I had on. Even if it was old faded blue jeans and a colored T shirt. Sure, cotton gets wet. And wet clothes on a cool day can be dangerous. But soaking your shirt in the creek on a hot day can be a God send.

Sometimes for newer budget minded elk hunters, cotton will work just as well and save you a bunch of cash. You just have to be smart enough to know when to put on the rain gear!!!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 07 05, 2019 •  [Post 14]

But if you die of hypothermia wearing Sitka clothes at least you won't need a change of clothes to be buried in. The folks walking by your casket will comment on how he died doing what he loved. :lol: There is a savings somewhere to be considered. I know I have been just as cold in high end underwear as in cotton, but today I cover up with an additional layer of the old fashioned wool.
Swede

Postby Swede » 07 05, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Well, I finally was shamed and broke down and bought some high end hunting clothes today. I got two new merino wool sweaters at Good Will. $9.99 ea. I think I will take my Sharpie and write "Sitka" on the name tag of one and "Kuiu" on the tag of the other.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 07 05, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Have either of you ever tried a piece of clothing... pants or shirt made of a 4 way stretch polyester? I hunted in cotton and wool for over 30 years and killed piles of elk before giving it a try. I even made sarcastic posts like you guys about people having more money than brains. Not anymore. When I get back to camp at night I’m not nearly as beat up because my clothes have held me back all day. Here my words you don’t even realize they have been holding you back until you try the thinner lighter stretchy stuff. Yes you can kill elk in a suit of armour but to those of us who have moved on from the medieval stuff you sound like stubborn cavemen. You know.... you don’t need those guns and bows either. A good wooden club will do the trick boys! :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 07 05, 2019 •  [Post 17]

I do have some of that stretchie flexie no stink/quick dry underwear from REI. I also have some good quality outer stuff from Cabelas. I can't say it has done as much for me as yours seems to do for you. I don't think any of my clothes are holding me back. Is paying over $100 for a merino sweater a good investment, when it is available for $10? All I am saying is that those who are on a limited budget, you don't need the expensive, high end stuff to be comfortable and effective at hunting, and that includes elk hunting. You do not need to go to the most expensive outlets to get great fabrics.
As mentioned in an earlier post, I bought two merino wool sweaters today at Good Will. My wife brightened right up when I showed them to her. She said they would look great in church. I said they are for hunting, and she was still pleased. They are nice garments and like new. Could you get those two sweaters from Sitka for $200? It is your money spend it as you please. I know I am no help for anyone wanting to justify spending high dollar amounts for Kuiu, First Lite or Sitka gear, but I am sure you can think of some reason for it.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 18]

Those 4-way stretchy britches you use just might be the thing. I think all the girls around here wear them. And I'm not so old that I don't mind watch'n em! :shock: I think they call them yoga pants.

I think maybe in the past ten years or so around here I may have seen 1 or 2 rich dudes wearing the hi priced stuff. Everyone else has been using cheap or mid range outfits. Never once have I seen any Kuiu and maybe once or twice Sitka. That says a lot because there are tons of hunters of all types that come to our area every year. Our little town bills itself as the elk hunting capitol of the world. And I can see why!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Indian Summer » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 19]

Glad to hear your eyes are still working fine WW! You know they say 10% of us do 90% of the killing. Maybe that’s the 10 that springs for the clothes rhat attract elk! :D

Swede.... mobility isn’t an issue for stand hunters. A better investment for you might be a Heater Body Suit if you were hunting in January. But that’s not bow season. Hmmm.... cutoff jeans and Crocs that’s it!
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2019 •  [Post 20]

Indian Summer wrote:cutoff jeans and Crocs that’s it!

That is funny as I have literally hunted in blue jeans, a white cotton tee shirt and Romeos. I have killed elk while dressed that way. I have not tries crocs. You are right about tree stand hunting being more about keeping warm at times than about ultimate mobility. The reason I bought the stretchie/flexie underwear is because the cotton was not keeping me warm and the black wool union suits itched too much. Now I kind of miss my old union suits.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 07 07, 2019 •  [Post 21]

Most of my growing up life I was a cotton guy T shirt and blue jeans,..
Running traplines I always had more warm dry cotton clothes in the pick up
But pounding nails in Washington in the rain changed all that, I started wear wool to stay warm in the rain. then some of the synthetics came out,.. most of them you would stink so bad with just a bit of sweat.

Coming from Minnesota,I knew you cant keep you feet warm all day in cheap boots And fingers stayed warm in down mittens and an over the ears hat or torque .
While living in Utah I went through the ice (over my head) miles from the truck, Stripped down and whipped all my synthetic freeze dried and hunted the rest of the day. I had gone the through the ice with cotton and ended up with a life long loss
It use to be I couldn't not stand the feel of synthetics against my skin. And being a cheapskate value and budget minded I quickly caught on cotton doesnt last.
two examples,.. Ive worn out four maybe five sets of Carhart bibs that were cotton duc. My last pair of synthetic bibs my wife said were had our moneys worth and she wasnt fixing them anymore.

The winter of 1993 I bought a cabelas fleece sweatshit. My wife has replaced 4 zippers. and Ive worn out 5 other cotton sweatshirts in that time. And that ugly Cabelas fleece was maybe worn half again as often as the cotton sweat shirts

I do have a good cotton flannel lined sleeping bag, but long gone is cotton at my house,.. Ill take the free T shirts but otherwise I no longer see the value in cotton clothing
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 08, 2019 •  [Post 22]

I challenge you nay sayers to take the Pepsi challenge. Hunt 4 days hard in cotton, whatever, (take a shower or stream bath) and then hunt 4 days hard in some of the newer, poly, merino blend clothing and I betcha a dime to a dollar, you’ll notice the difference.

D1683995-2003-4E76-8826-23B08ED59491.jpeg
D1683995-2003-4E76-8826-23B08ED59491.jpeg (35.35 KiB) Viewed 8257 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 09, 2019 •  [Post 23]

OK which one of you guys posed for that picture!!!!!
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 09, 2019 •  [Post 24]

>>>---WW----> wrote:OK which one of you guys posed for that picture!!!!!

Swede was kind enough to send me that "glamor shot". He said something about that was after two weeks of sitting in his tree stand in cotton skivvies :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 07 10, 2019 •  [Post 25]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
>>>---WW----> wrote:OK which one of you guys posed for that picture!!!!!

Swede was kind enough to send me that "glamor shot". He said something about that was after two weeks of sitting in his tree stand in cotton skivvies :D

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 07 16, 2019 •  [Post 26]

Here is the story of how Indian Joe got his new Sikum camouflage clothes, and the following he had from many of his fellow hunters.

The story by Hans Christian Andersen has been modified and updated just a little by Swede.
A few years ago there was an outfitter who was so fond of new expensive clothes that he spent all his money on them. He did not give himself any concern about his work; he cared nothing about the town life or for driving about in the woods, except for the sake of showing himself off in new clothes. He had a costume for every hour in the day, and just as they say of a king or emperor, "He is in his council chamber," they said of him, "I.J. is in his tent."

Life was merry and gay in the camp where the I.J. stayed, and numbers of strangers came to it every day. Among them there came one day two rascals, who gave themselves out as weavers and said that they knew how to weave the most exquisite hunting clothes imaginable. Not only were the colors and camo patterns uncommonly great, but the clothes that were made of the stuff had the peculiar property of becoming invisible to every person who was unfit for the job they held, or who was exceptionally stupid.

"Those must be valuable clothes," thought Joe. "By wearing them I should be able to discover which of the guides in my territory are not fit for their posts. I should distinguish wise men from fools. Yes, I must order some of this new Sikum stuff to be woven for me directly." And he paid the swindlers a handsome sum of money in advance, as they required.

As for them, they put up two looms and pretended to be weaving, though there was nothing whatever on their shuttles. They called for a quantity of the finest fabrics and of the purest polysmak thread, all of which went into their own bags, while they worked at their empty looms till late into the night.

"I should like to know how those weavers are getting on with the stuff," thought I.J., But he felt a little queer when he reflected that those who were stupid or unfit for their job would not be able to see the material. He believed, indeed, that he had nothing to fear for himself, but still he thought it better to send some one else first, to see how the work was coming on. All the people in the area had heard of the peculiar properties of the stuff, and every one was curious to see how stupid the other hunters and guides might be.

"I will send my faithful old lead guide to the weavers," thought I.J., "He will be best capable of judging of this stuff, for he is a man of sense and nobody is more fit for his guide postion than he."

So the worthy old guide went into the room where the two swindlers sat working the empty looms. "Heaven save us!" thought the old man, opening his eyes wide. "Why, I can't see anything at all!" But he took care not to say so aloud.

Both the rogues begged him to step a little nearer and asked him if he did not think the patterns very well done and the coloring fine. They pointed to the empty loom as they did so, and the poor old guide kept staring as hard as he could—but without being able to see anything on it, for of course there was nothing there to see.

"Heaven save us!" thought the old man. "Is it possible that I am a fool? I have never thought it, and nobody must know it. Is it true that I am not fit for my job? It will never do for me to say that I cannot see this new Sikum stuff."

"Well, sir, do you say nothing about the cloth?" asked the one who was pretending to go on with his work.

"Oh, it is most wonderful, and most beautiful!" said the dazed old man, as he peered again through his spectacles. "What a fine camo pattern, and what fine colors! I will certainly tell I.J. how pleased I am with the camo."

"We are glad of that," said both the weavers; and then they named the colors and pointed out the special features of the Optiflop pattern. To all of this the guide paid great attention, so that he might be able to repeat it to I.J. when he went back to him.

And now the cheats called for more money, more fabric, and more polysmak thread, to be able to proceed with the weaving, but they put it all into their own pockets, and not a thread went into the stuff, though they went on as before, weaving at the empty looms.

After a little time I.J. sent other honest associates to see how the weaving was progressing, and if the stuff would soon be ready. The same thing happened with them as with the lead guide. They gazed and gazed, but as there was nothing but empty looms, so they could see nothing else.

"Is not this an exquisite piece of stuff?" asked the weavers, pointing to one of the looms and explaining the beautiful pattern and the colors which were not there to be seen.

"I am not stupid, I know I am not!" thought the associates, "so it must be that I am not fit for my good job. It is very strange, but I must not let it be noticed." So they praised the cloth they did not see and assured the weavers of their delight in the lovely colors and the exquisite pattern. "It is perfectly charming," they reported to I.J.

all the worthy men who had been there before, he went to visit the crafty impostors, who were working as hard as ever at the empty looms.

"Is it not magnificent?" said the honest men. "See, Joe, what splendid colors, and what a pattern!" And they pointed to the looms, for they believed that others, no doubt, could see what they did not.

"What!" thought I.J., "I see nothing at all. This is terrible! Am I a fool? Am I not fit to be an outfitter? Why nothing more dreadful could happen to me!"

"Oh, it is very pretty! it has my highest approval," I.J. said aloud. He nodded with satisfaction as he gazed at the empty looms, for he would not betray that he could see nothing.

His whole group gazed and gazed, each seeing no more than the others; but, like Joe, they all exclaimed, "Oh, it is beautiful!" They even suggested to I.J. that he wear the new high tech clothes for the first time on the occasion of a great hunt which was soon to take place.

"Splendid! wonderful! Magnificent!" went from mouth to mouth. All were equally delighted with the weavers' workmanship. I.J. gave each of the impostors the order of honorary guide to be worn in their buttonholes, and the title Gentleman Weaver of the base camp.

Before the day on which the hunt was to take place, the weavers sat up the whole night, burning sixteen candles, so that people might see how anxious they were to get Joe's new clothes ready. They pretended to take the stuff from the loom, they cut it out in the air with huge scissors, and they stitched away with machines which had no thread in them. At last they said, "Now the clothes are finished."

Joe came to them himself with his personal guides, and each of the rogues lifted his arm as if he held something, saying, "See! here are the shorts and trousers! here is the shirt! here is the coat," and so on. "It is as light as a spider's web. One would almost feel as if one had nothing on, but that is the beauty of it!" Joe remarked about how comfortable his new camp clothes were. "I feel totally uninhibited in these", said I.J. :lol: "Yes," said all the associates, but they saw nothing, for there was nothing to see.

"Will you be graciously pleased to take off your clothes so that we may put on the new ones here, inside the cook tent?"

I.J. took off his clothes, and the rogues pretended to put on first one garment and then another of the new ones they had pretended to make. They pretended to fasten something round his waist, and to tie on something. This they said was the chaps, and Joe turned round and round before the guides.

"How well Joe looks in the new clothes! How becoming they are!" cried all the lackeys in turn. "That is a splendid outfit!"

"The ATV that is to carry you in the procession is waiting outside," said the lead guide.

"Well, I am ready," replied I.J. "Don't the clothes look great?" and he turned round and round again in the tent, to appear as if he were admiring his new clothes.

I.J. went along in the procession, under the pine trees, and every one in the vicinity said: "How beautiful Joe's new camo clothes are! What a splendid outfit! And how well they fit!" "He will surely fool the elk and deer."

No one wanted to let it appear that he could see nothing, for that would prove they were not fit for their job. None of Joe's clothes had been so great a success before.

"But he has nothing on!" said Swede and W.W..

"Just listen to the guides and other associates," said a camp visitor. Joe the outfitter was startled by this, for he had a suspicion that they were right. But he thought, "I must face this out to the end and go on with this nonsense." So he held himself more stiffly than ever, and the guides all kept right on arguing that the new stuff is more comfortable, stink resistant and dries out easier than anything else.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 17, 2019 •  [Post 27]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDykz-QQNT0

This just might make Indian Summer's 4 way stretch britches a multi purpose item! :shock: :roll: :lol:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 07 17, 2019 •  [Post 28]

I have used old pantyhose for game bags too. They work fine. If I used those megabuck dandies that Indian Summer claims are so great, I could remove a leg from the britches and make them into the worlds finest game bags. I could tell everyone how well they keep the stink off butchered game and how light I felt packing out a elk quarter. Nothing it too good for our elk meat.

BTW: I am deducing from the posts on this thread and another on the elk forum that if you wear megabuck britches you don't need to wash or wipe your rear to avoid "baboon butt". What will be the next great claim for $100 drawers?
Swede