Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Forum Size

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Forum Size

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I know a few would like to have a forum with many more folks exchanging ideas and discussing more and more topics. I too have been there, but the large forums ask questions about some of the minutest insignificant items possible. I never cease to be amazed at some of the questions, and other total nonsense I read. It has me wondering how big is too big and what is best for the people that engage in continuous discussions?
Personally I am satisfied with the nuts, frijoles, and half baked hams that hang out here. There is a feeling I know many of you and we talk as a group of hunters sitting around a campfire. Any thoughts?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Forum Size

Postby Deanmac » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Smaller is better.

I have been a member of a forum in GA 25 plus years, it started out very small by a guy that owned a taxidermy shop. Mostly local folks with common interest from the Northern part or GA.
An outdoor magazine "GA outdoor News" " GON" took it over about 15 years ago. Forum now has almost 103,000 members and 1200 were online a few minutes ago.
I still check it often and use the search engine to try to look up info on a WMA I might what to visit. But a very seldom post now. Seems like some members just want to stir the pot and start a fuss about what ever issue.
No one really shares info anymore and I would trust very little that was said on this forum. Now I still PM some of the original members and share info, but IMHO smaller is better.
Deanmac

Postby saddlesore » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 3]

The bigger they get the more A$$ you know what, show up. Too much anonymity I guess. This one is just right.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I am coming around to your way of seeing this matter the same as you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I see it a couple ways. The smaller the forum is, the better people seem to get along, and the better the topics are. I'm with you that some of the larger forums get some crazy off the wall topics going. That is part of the fun though I guess, you don't need to participate in them.

However, forums cost money to operate. Not a whole bunch, but some. That money usually comes from donations or advertising. You have to have members to draw advertisers, so a certain amount of growth is required. We can't expect ol' RJ to keep footing the bill for our entertainment :)
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 6]

7mmfan wrote:We can't expect ol' RJ to keep footing the bill for our entertainment :)

Don't ya think RJ should be honored to just have us? When you invite people to come to your hootenanny you don't expect the guests to bring their own tambourines do you? :lol:
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Thats a good point. I'm still waiting for my 12 pack of craft microbrew he used to bribe me over here in the first place.
7mmfan

Postby Elkduds » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 8]

The better the quality of members, the fewer you need and the more the merrier.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. Groucho Marx
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I moved over to this from from archerytalk

Mostly because it was apparent there were some good people on this forum and great hunters with less BS the junk and trouble makers

I wish we had a few more active experienced ( old elk hunters) guys

And if the boss got rid of the riff raff Swede and I would need to go
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I guess you'll just have to deal with us young bucks until some of you make it to old elk hunter status.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote:And if the boss got rid of the riff raff Swede and I would need to go

The trouble with that is the forum would only be down by two.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 08 11, 2019 •  [Post 12]

I use Bowsite too. I think if you were new to that forum you may not like it. It can be a rough sarcastic crowd. But I’ve been on there for 20 years and so I’ve come to know all of the regulars and they know me. There are always newbies and even though there ate thousands of members much like any forum 10% of them do 90% of the posting. The upside is that the level of experience of every species in every state, province, and country is massive. There isn’t a question you could ask that won’t get an educated answer. Also when people have real life tragedies, deaths, illnesses etc the rough crowd shows their true colors and all in all it’s a very good bunch of people over there. But I’m still partial to our smaller family gatherings here. As a moderator it’s a really easy site to keep in check because everyone is very respectful. Every once in awhile ol Swede can’t take a joke but he bounces back and so far I haven’t gotten any death threats. So far.....

On this site I consider everyone to be personal friend to some degree. I want to see everyone on here kill an elk and post pics on the annual meat pole thread.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 08 11, 2019 •  [Post 13]

I am probably the quickest to tell someone good or bad, what I think about what they are peddling. I almost never hold a grudge. If I think what you are saying is garbage, you are likely to hear from me. It is up to you how you take it. If you say something I agree with on your next post, and think it adds to the information base here, you are likely to get a response on that too. All that applies to you I.S. :D Both posts are read and considered. I have even been known to dissect posts.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 08 11, 2019 •  [Post 14]

I don’t know Swede. I think you love me like a son because you’re tougher on me than on everyone else. :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 08 11, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Indian Summer wrote:I don’t know Swede. I think you love me like a son because you’re tougher on me than on everyone else.

I do know that if I wanted a DIY hunt in another State, you would be the first person I would contact. I will debate with you as you know what you are doing, and can add perspective to many topics.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 08 13, 2019 •  [Post 16]

This is my #1 forum. I check another daily (Hunttalk) and another one weekly. Hunttalk is made up of experienced guys and Randy doesn't allow any nonsense so it is run right. But you don't get to know the players as easily as it is bigger. And with bigger comes the inevitable jerks. They behave for the most part over there, but they can still be jerks. All in all, that is a decent forum as well. But if you want real elk info, this is the place. Of course, you might have to weed out all of the treestand nonsense that gets spewed about from one of our lovable urchins, but this is the spot for real elky talk!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2019 •  [Post 17]

Tigger, just remember urchins are an indicator species. When they are healthy and content others in that environment are too. When they are under stress others are too.
Swede