Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tracking a Bear as we speak...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tracking a Bear as we speak...

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 02, 2019 •  [Post 1]

One of our WA state WapitiTalk members got what he feels was a solid hit on a nice black bear this morning. It exploded into the thick brush and he's out tracking it now. Hopefully, he'll be posting up a successful hunt/recovery story later tonight on his critter.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Tracking a Bear as we speak...

Postby Swede » 08 02, 2019 •  [Post 2]

It sounds like Whitey is out in the woods again. Best wishes on the bear recovery.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 08 02, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Cant find him. I shouldve aimed for the shoulders. Didnt want to waste meat. Looks like its all wasted. No way i missed him, couldnt have had an easier shot. I pulled out. Will look again in the a.m. even though the meat is toast. Man im bummed. Awesome bear. I know hes dead there somewhere, but its a total hellhole choked with alder, blowdowns on top of blowdowns, all kinds of brush and a couple deep steep draws, one with a stream in it. Wish i had a dog that could find him.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 08 02, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Bear had a weird reaction when i shot him. Dont know what to make of it, if anything. He was broadside, and as soon as i shot he spun hard 90° and charged straight at me for a second before altering course 90° back to the direction he had been facing when i shot him. Never had that happen before.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 08 02, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I am sure you know 100% more about what happened and the situation with the bear, but from the experiences I have seen, I would follow out the direction you saw the bear travel. I would look under every conceivable log, brush pile and hole in the nearby area. You can step right up to the bear before you see it. I suspect the bear denned up to hide and recover, except it did not recover. If you heard a moan after the bear left the area, try to find that location. Good luck.
Swede

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Whitey, I know it is not easy, but can you give us an update on your search and what you have found if anything? Do you think the bear just might have survived?
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I found nothing, but i cant imagine i screwed that shot up. Very simple shot, and it felt good. I just dont know. Ive moved on.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2019 •  [Post 8]

There is a time we have to move on. The loss is sad, but it happens. Good luck on tagging one.
Swede

Postby ishy » 08 10, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Sorry bud, we have all been there. Have to ask where you aimed? Not sure how many people know this (most target manufactures don't) but the thoracic cavity on bears is farther back than ungulates. I lost a bear I have on video the arrow hits right on the shoulder line half way up out of tree stand. Tracked him a mile and it was still alive the next morning. I found most Canadian bear guides tell there hunters to aim for the middle of the middle...I know it seems wrong but they will tell you every bear they loose is shot to far forward! I preached this to my buddies, but last year it happened again this time on a 450 lb. bear of a lifetime. Buddy said he hit it perfect "right behind the shoulder", well we tracked it over a mile and blood ran out. He claims to believe me now. Our last few bears we have been aiming 4" behind the shoulder and every one has died within sight.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby wawhitey » 08 10, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Yeah im familiar with the middle of the middle concept, and i aim back from the shoulders a bit on bears. The one i got the other day i wasnt messing around. I shot him in the head and then pumped a couple more rounds in him when he hit the dirt, just to make sure i wouldnt lose another one. The follow up shots turned out to be a good idea. My head shot was off center a bit, probably because of the way i was having to lean over to see his head behind a tree. Hit just on the outside of his left eye. Bullet went under the skin then back out an inch or two further. Didnt even penetrate his skull, jyst glanced off the side of it. But it really rung his bell. He hit the dirt and started flipping, kind of somersaulting. Thats when i gave him a couple insurance shots. He only made it maybe 10 yards at most.
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 08 12, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I hate to keep bringing this back up, but the middle of the middle is new to me. I was always told to shoot them in the shoulders and break them down. It made sense to me with the assumption that bears are super tough so even a perfect vital shot right behind the shoulder could allow them to travel a bit. But it sounds like the shoulder shot is just to break them down and then they will die after the fact, when the best vital shot is back a bit. Could someone post a screenshot of a broadside bear with an ideal vital shot placement marked?
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 08 12, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Something like this?
Attachments
bear.PNG
bear.PNG (688.7 KiB) Viewed 5271 times
7mmfan

Postby ishy » 08 13, 2019 •  [Post 13]

7mm I would go even farther back. You have to look at both shoulders and this bear is in a walking position and that close shoulder is WAY forward! Look at the far shoulder and you will see your spot is in front of that shoulder line! A wise (not old) archer has always preached to me to aim where you want your exit hole and you will always get better results than focusing on the entrance hole. So I would go the same distance from the blue line to your dot again farther back from your dot minimum...maybe an inch or two farther.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby 7mmfan » 08 14, 2019 •  [Post 14]

I see what you mean. I also aim for exit, but that just seems WAY back. I trust you more experienced bear killers though.
7mmfan