Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lake Erie Walleyes!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lake Erie Walleyes!

Postby Indian Summer » 09 05, 2019 •  [Post 1]

The past several years have had incredibly successful spawns in the west basin of Lake Erie. Starting two years ago we have had the best fishing ever. In my lifetime I’ve never seen it this good. 36 to 48 fish are in the cooler in just a few hours. We’ve been up twice now and the freezers are full. I’m pretty lucky to live in spitting distance of the Great Lakes.
Attachments
66F22233-7BE4-4D1A-B2B2-0F000A5F6B60.jpeg
CE5E6943-2E7C-4EE1-84E9-0BDB6AF893CA.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Lake Erie Walleyes!

Postby Indian Summer » 09 05, 2019 •  [Post 2]

If you’ve never eaten walleye you don’t know what you’re missing! Yummy!
Attachments
9A5D9C00-CDC1-4A67-9468-694D1E9AF6CA.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 05, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Awesome. Good eating and great times!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 09 06, 2019 •  [Post 4]

My freezer is just about empty of walleyes. Will reload this fall I hope on the lake I live on. I really don't fall fish at all, but this year I am going to as they have been really biting on my lake.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 09 19, 2019 •  [Post 5]

That's a whole bunch of great eats there. Living in Western WA we don't have any nearby quality walleye fisheries. I make up for it with lots of salmon and various bottom fish throughout the summer. I always threaten to head east during the summer and catch a pile of Walleye, I know where they live, just haven't made it happen yet. Maybe as the boy gets a little older over the next few years we'll start making it a thing.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 05 19, 2020 •  [Post 6]

You are lucky there.Our Walleyes have an18" minimum length and only allowed four. Darn lucky to catch two and they probably won't be legal length.

Trout fishing is worse. Most waters,only allow four,some only two, and many are catch and release. Some have slot limits. Brookies are still 10 though, but not over 8". Since we had to buy our combo small game and fishing license this year to be able to put in for any draw, I went out and drowned some worms yesterday. Caught two rainbows about10"long. Stockers and the meat was mushy and bland after cooking. Sure don't compare to good walleye. Made me remember why I don't fish much.

We have a couple of bigger lakes that have good population of Stripers, but they are 150 miles way. One close nearby ( 60 miles) has so many boats/skiers and PWC that fishing is problematic.

I have a grandson that lives only a few miles from Kinsua Dam there in north central PA, but he doesn't fish. I left PA when they had just finished putting that dam in.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics