Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

My Longest Day

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

My Longest Day

Postby Swede » 10 28, 2019 •  [Post 1]

What Is the longest time you have spent in a tree in one day? How about in one single stretch?

I think it is somewhere between 13 and 14 hours. My longest stretch is also my longest day.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: My Longest Day

Postby wawhitey » 10 29, 2019 •  [Post 2]

16 hours straight in early september last year on a few days when the wind was right for it. A pocket full of caffiene mints helps.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 10 29, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I sat a a bear bait a full day ,,read lots of magazines,,, killed my phone being on the internet.
I did run down for food , charge the phone new stock of magazines nearly an hour. 11 1/2 hour day 10 1/2 in the blind
The little bear came in and marked the tree beside my blind as soon as I left. Wish I had a camera on that one

Sitting in a box blind in the desert generally 2-3 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening

Goose hunting Ive done a handfull of days in a layout blind and goose pit maybe 10 -11 hours

Even getting older I cant sit that long. I know Im not getting elk because I don't sit. But as long as I can hike around that's what Im going to do.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 10 29, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Lefty: You bring up a great point. You will get more elk, and likely other animals by waiting in a good location than chasing around the mountain. You will see more running and gunning as Elknut likes to describe it, but you will kill more sitting quietly and waiting. Sometimes I call before I get into my stand then wait the remainder of the day. Once in awhile it helps. Mostly it is just patience.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 10 30, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I've only hunted tree stands a handful of times. I think my longest day was probably 7-8 hours during a late season hunt. I've sat many many 5-6 hour stints in likely locations, and killed a lot of deer doing that.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 10 30, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Lefty: You bring up a great point. You will get more elk, and likely other animals by waiting in a good location than chasing around the mountain. You will see more running and gunning as Elknut likes to describe it, but you will kill more sitting quietly and waiting. Sometimes I call before I get into my stand then wait the remainder of the day. Once in awhile it helps. Mostly it is just patience.

I have restless legs. And sad but true I quit deer hunting with my dad because he was a stand hunter.
Oh its just a whole lot more fun sneaking towards animals or calling them in. I often say I hope I live long enough to have to sit all day 8-)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 11 03, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I have never been in a tree, but it's on my to do list for 2020.... I think when conditions permit, i'll be able to stick it out as long as I need.... having the right clothing I assume is huge... too cold, less patient :D

what i think will keep me in stand is being stubborn... picking a tree, not randomly, and i will stick it out just to prove i picked a good spot... hehe

the long days i see will be late season blacktail, because i know that big mature bucks move all day that time of year.... there is a good chance one could walk by at 1pm, so if i have the time, i will want to grind it out. the battle to keep me there will boil down to my confidence in the location (good travel area, and a spot that gets fairly good wind in whatever wind direction i plan to hunt the spot) i will not have good patience if i choose a spot the wind often swirls... but that's all stuff that needs to be figured out prior to committing to a tree. also needs to have good wind for primary travel direction, and hopefully the next most likely direction..... lots of details to consider, and being able to pinpoint those details will be the things that keep me there.

i do a lot of 4-5hr ambush sits for late deer, or evening elk hunts. as long as i'm confident in where i'm sitting, i have no problem doing so. that will be my primary strategy coming up for late season deer..... still hunting into bow range of a big buck isn't the best strategy to kill a good buck.... still hunting and looking at sign and finding a good ambush site is more effective.... you may not have as much action, but the plan is killing a buck, not seeing a buck... being stationary puts the odds in my favor i get within range.

what gets me impatient on the ground is sitting on my knees, and becoming very uncomfortable after a couple hours... I should pack some type of seat, that would increase my patience.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 11 04, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Good clothing is essential. Warm and dry is critical, but we do not want too much bulk either. I have tried numerous things. I even have a small sleeping bag I can pop out of if I want to. Tree stand hunting can be long and boring. You need something to do besides just looking around. I read and do some sudoku puzzles. I can't do a crossword. The key to being able to stay long is knowing you are in a good location.
Swede