Postby Lefty » 11 07, 2019 •  [Post 1]

What are your thoughts about using tactile scopes on hunting guns
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Tactile rifle scopes

Postby Swede » 11 07, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I think it would depend on how, what and where I was hunting. Personally I see them as too busy and do not need one. I remember when the vast majority of hunters were using "iron sights"'. Scopes were for the rich and old people that could not see well. Ultimately it comes down to what you want and can pay for.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 11 08, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I used a basic 3-9x40 Leupold scope for 20 years. It suited me fine. Then one day I realized my vision wasn't what it once was, and I was struggling to make accurate shots on paper and targets out to 300 yards or so. I decided to upgrade my scope to better quality glass. In doing so, I upped the magnification a bit, and decided to get a CDS dial for it since I had all the load data. It's not a "tactical" scope by any means, but it sure is nice to dial it to 350 and let it go. It's accurate out past any shot I'll conceivably take on game.

The pros: consistency, lack of guesswork, ease of use.
The cons: Potentially makes you confident outside your actual abilities. Just because the tool can do it, doesn't mean the operator can.

I think that technology has ruined the sport of hunting in some ways, but I also think that it has improved our ability to make clean kills with less guess work than we used to. In the end we owe it to the animal to make their death as quick as possible, and some of these scopes allow you do that very consistently. All that said, I have a self imposed limit that I've established because it's the furthest my trigger control allows me to shoot consistently. More people need to work on that.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby lamrith » 11 08, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Lefty do you mean Tactical? Exposed turrets style, maybe with a mildot or tactical style reticle in it?

I run a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP scope which is pretty much that sort of scope. It is a first focal plane mildot reticle with mildot adjustment knobs. First Focal plane (FFP) is really nice as being FFP means the mildot hashes on the reticle is always accurate regardless with what zoom you are at. Turrets exposed are nice for if you need to make an adjustment for a longer shot or crosswind. Exposed turrets also can mean when you are hiking or busting thru brush that your turrets could be bumped and come off zero so you want to document or have a easy way in the field to verify they are set properly without having ti send a round down range. However all these features on an economical scope means a heavy scope in my case. That said I have had zero issue with the two of them I have. I shot a deer @ 475yrds+ last year with it, my elk this year it was point blank so I could have used a 30-30 with iron sights, but on 4x power the Primary arms was perfect.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Swede » 11 08, 2019 •  [Post 5]

If you are going to take advantage of the tactile scope's features, it would seem to me that you, the gun, and other equipment need to all fit together. You are not going to get any advantage shooting off hand or in the timber. Most of my shots have been under 100 yards. Only a few have ever been over the 200 yards my rifle is sighted in for. For me a dot reticle is most advantageous as it comes into focus quickly. The tactile scope is best for very long range situations where you have a good solid rest to work from. At the very least I would want a bipod on a long range gun and a fairly heavy barrel. Even your ammunition should be considered carefully, and the powder loads if that is the hunting situation you are expecting.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 11 09, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I do not like exposed turrets I do like minute lines not dots or circles
I don’t shoot often any more
I know my ballistics and zero my gun at 250
My 7 mm is used on coyotes deer elk moose and antelope it’s made good shots from 1-750 yards

My problem I don’t trust turrets or my memory or even a chart taped to the stock
I know my gun and loads but I don’t know the scope
Lefty

Postby Swede » 11 09, 2019 •  [Post 7]

The dot is great where you have low light conditions. I do not find there is any compromise on accuracy when I have an animal in my sights. You naturally and automatically place the center of the dot at your aiming point. Like I mentioned, I never tried to shoot a Jack rabbit at 500 yards, where the dot would cover the whole critter. Maybe that situation would change the reticle I would want to use. I normally keep my scope at four power when I am out hunting. Rarely do I change in a shooting situation.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 09, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Tactical scopes would be great for long range shooting at paper targets, prairiedogs, and ISIS combatants. But for hunting, if you need one, you become a shooter, not a hunter!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 11 09, 2019 •  [Post 9]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Tactical scopes would be great for long range shooting at paper targets, prairiedogs, and ISIS combatants. But for hunting, if you need one, you become a shooter, not a hunter!

When I bought the scope I really didnt understand how a hunting tactile scope was set up. Up/down adjust just too easy and accidentally

I messed up and should have gotten the Leopold Vx-5 3-15
As Ive gotten older I really like the fine reticle and option for more power I walk around with it at 3 ,.. I guess i haven't killed anything with this scope other than paper.
I keep looking at one of the .19 to put that scope on just seems like a whole lot of fun,.. but brass is spendy :o and bullets :lol: the 19 goes against every thing I say about calibers and bullets but at moving 3600 to over 4000 ft per second and.... virtually no recoil
Maybe just a dream, Ill likly put it on a 222 o .223 243 or .17
Lefty