Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lightweight, Packable Deer Blind....... Initial Thoughts

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lightweight, Packable Deer Blind....... Initial Thoughts

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 07, 2019 •  [Post 1]

At my "seasoned" stage in the hunting game, I rarely come across a piece of gear that evokes an "Ahhhh haaaaaa". Well, it just happened over the past few days. After putting a ton of miles on my old unshod hooves in both Idaho and Washington over the past few months, a thought started sneaking into my gourd. As I sat by timber's edge in my BT hunting spot during the last week of early rifle season a few weeks ago, watching for Mr. Blacktail to come out after Ms. Blacktail (this could apply really, to any critter/blind scenario; any deer species, predators, perhaps even elk?), I thought "man it's nice that it's nice outside for sitting" (knowing full well that the lack of weather is a negative when it comes to BT moving a bit more freely). My thoughts continued, remembering the past years of nasty, rainy weather in both the early and late WA BT season, and provoking a "geez, a very small, portable, lightweight blind would be a super cool piece of gear to have", to use in certain spots/situations. I dug around and found this.....

ameristep_1RX1C028_01_19093_1426637299_1280_1280__21988_1456163208_490_490.jpg
ameristep_1RX1C028_01_19093_1426637299_1280_1280__21988_1456163208_490_490.jpg (244.24 KiB) Viewed 5380 times

https://www.ameristep.com/tent-chair

Got it in the mail yesterday and set it up last night in my garage. Lightweight (just a bit over 12 lbs w/o the bag)? Check. Portable (able to fold it up and strap it to my Exo pack easy enough)? Check. Enough room inside to fit my skinny old corpse, a good set of shooting sticks, my rifle, and even my pack? Check. Waterproof? Well, probably not the greatest, well-built unit but after some seam sealer and a healthy spray of water proof stuff, I think it'll work fine (at only 80 bones for the price of admission, I can do a few upgrades); I think it’ll keep me dry during my pre-determined “sits”. Plenty of room to glass and shoot out the front, and, two smaller windows/openings on the side make inside to outside visibility good. Of course I'll be putting a few strips of florescent orange tape on the outside of the enclosure before deploying it during any rifle season for obvious reasons. It’ll work for rifle, shotgun, perhaps even X-bow but I’m not thinking it would work for archery but I will crawl in the enclosure at some point with bow in hand and check it out. I'll be giving this little critter a whirl starting on 14 NOV during the late BT season. I'm gonna get into my spot at least one more time before the late season, check my game cams, and select a spot for the chair blind. I'll take a few pics of the final location/setup and let you cats know how it works out . RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Lightweight, Packable Deer Blind....... Initial Thoughts

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 07, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Looks like it would make a nice little one man duck blind. Easy enough to move from one place to another. But hey! What ever floats your boat! :D
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 07, 2019 •  [Post 3]

:D It’s a niche piece of gear, will only be packed in/deployed in the right situation for an identified need. I have a problem with patience associated with long sits to start with, but, when the skies are dumping cold WA liquid sunshine, the little one man blind may serve its purpose ;)

06CEDD08-489A-4A87-A856-2D6892DDB51E.jpeg
06CEDD08-489A-4A87-A856-2D6892DDB51E.jpeg (121.07 KiB) Viewed 5371 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 11 07, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I have two portable blinds and do not use either of them. I suppose they could really be the ticket on cool rainy days. Can you cover those holes in yours and just peek out? I think of coffee and cookies along with a catalytic heater to keep things comfortable. Maybe a good book to help pass the time as you wait. It is ok to fatten up a little on the hunt. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 07, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Ya, all holes zip up. Watch the VID I posted below; this thing is tiny, just right for packing.

WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 11 07, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Well it looks really good. Let us know how well you like it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 11 09, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Ive sat in a few sometime before they were even popular.
Then out here in the west Ive used one in the sage brush for elk,.. mountain side for deer,.. Turkey but mostly bear a lot of time waiting on a bear

The big advantage is keeping the weather out
One fall I hunted out of the blind in the rain,.. well over 10 hours over 4 days I think.
In the spring bear the wind,.. and mosquitoes

this is one time comfort comes into play the chair blind is very very cramped. I bought a Brick-house tonly three pounds more.Shipped to my home for less than $90.00 5 years ago. the biggest problem I see is packing tt up , its noisy and sometimes frustrating.
And when the time comes I have a few places picked out, short walk to a good hunt location

you want more room and to easliy move around , stretch and sleep and to be able to shoot any direction
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 11 12, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I just stopped at Costco
Our Costco has the brick house blind and a tripod chair for $99
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 12, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Lefty wrote:I just stopped at Costco
Our Costco has the brick house blind and a tripod chair for $99

You're getting well in to the "have to transport it on a quad" size/weight with that one Dennis. That little critter I got is made for just one person, and, is small enough to get strapped to the back of, or, even carried inside my EXO K2 3500. I've played around with it a little but will get it up to a "sit" spot or two during the late WA black tail season (14-17 NOV). Four days of rain projected so my sit spots will be made more tolerable with overhead cover. I'll let you know how I fare.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Just trying to save you the misery of sitting in that blind

One of the considerations of a small blind you are forced to sit in one position
Can you move enough to draw your bow?, will the limbs clear?
I had to change my chair height for in my box blind

I just know I need more movement or the ability to move my legs heck 20 minutes in my wife’s Camry and I’m sunk

September a bull came in on our track downwind I was the caller
That bull stared at me for an even 10 minutes afterwards I had a tough time getting up

Just saying you should sit in one before hauling it into the field

I guess for the price if it doesn’t fit you it isn’t a big loss
Lefty

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Lefty is spot on.! I've spent some time in all day antelope blinds. And trust me, as Lefty stated, you need to stand up and stretch once in awhile.
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 12]

No sir, this little critter is not designed for bowhunting, I'm pretty sure a guy couldn't draw a bow in it, maybe a cross bow. Plenty of room to sit in wait with a rifle and a good set of shooting sticks though. It's got a built in camp chair and seems pretty darn comfy. I won't be doing any all day sits though; only crack of dawn sits at certain spots and then the witching hour, that last hour of light in the evening (both watching timbered edges of clearcuts). I think it'll do just fine for what its designed for, a highly portable, lightweight, keep the rain off my head, rapid deployment blind..... We'll see early tomorrow morning ;). I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully, will have a pic of a blacktail with his nose in the dirt.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 13]

I don’t know about that blind

But set it up before you go out, or the deer will hear words that would have grandma running for a bar of soap :o
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 13, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Lefty wrote:I don’t know about that blind

But set it up before you go out, or the deer will hear words that would have grandma running for a bar of soap :o

LOL :lol: Look at the VID above Dennis. It’s the easiest blind you’ll ever see to set up.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 11 15, 2019 •  [Post 15]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
Lefty wrote:I don’t know about that blind

LOL :lol: Look at the VID above Dennis. It’s the easiest blind you’ll ever see to set up.

That won’t impress me much :lol:

Working with young Boy Scouts all too often in the dark tent set up was always entertaining
Just saying
We don’t want deer and elk learning cuss words
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 11 16, 2019 •  [Post 16]

“Niche gear deployed for the right situation”

I’m thinking the same thing. This season the spot I killed my bull from is a spot you could just park your butt and wait. You will definitely see multiple bulls. You might have to make a move to shoot but maybe not. It’s up high looking over at avalanche chutes and the weather can get nasty. More importantly the elk can see you if you move around. So I think it would be a great advantage to be able to set up a blind and sit there without getting rained and snowed on and without having to be as still as a statue for hours. The idea of a seat in itself is like a dream. I have a couple Ground Max blinds that I never use. They aren’t light but I’m thinking I’ll pack it in and leave it. I’ll be hunting that spot forever. I might even build a little shooting bench so I can pick them off at 1000 yards and never leave my little chalet. It’ll be the best “blind date” ever! 8-)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro