Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What Else Would You Shoot?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What Else Would You Shoot?

Postby Swede » 11 08, 2019 •  [Post 1]

When out elk hunting what other critters would you shoot if you had the opportunity? What else would you shoot knowing it would distract from your main objective of getting an elk.

On rare occasions I have shot a deer, and I would always shoot a cougar. Twice I shot a coyote, but it hardly amounted to a distraction from the main thing. I have passed on many bears even though I had a bear tag in my day pack.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What Else Would You Shoot?

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 08, 2019 •  [Post 2]

How about a blue grouse for supper! That's about it for me. Actually, I did get distracted once when I ran across a stream full of brookies. :o
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 11 08, 2019 •  [Post 3]

When I am elk hunting, I only shoot at elk. It is hard enough to find the suckers without alerting them to your presence with other shooting . Archery may be different
saddlesore

Postby lamrith » 11 08, 2019 •  [Post 4]

2 years ago I took a bear while archery elk hunting. The area I was in showed zero sign of recent activity (of any species) and the cams in the area had been empty of any game for over a week. So when smokey sauntered into my kill zone it was game over. If I had been any indication there were elk in the area at all I would have let him walk.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby saddlesore » 11 08, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Another reason I guess is I have gotten to the point in my life that I don't need to kill everything I see waking thru the outdoors.Sometimes I just sit and enjoy.
saddlesore

Postby 7mmfan » 11 08, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Depends on the situation, but if I had a tag for it, I'd probably shoot it. I'm not one to pass opportunities on animals I intend to pursue at some point. I agree with saddlesore though, I've definitely moved on from the man of my youth that shot everything I could. Coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, grouse, whatever it was all fair game. I do want to get a little 22 revolver that can shoot shorts though so I can pop grouse while I'm out and about. I do like those little buggers.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 08, 2019 •  [Post 7]

My pop used to insist that elk camp was for elk hunting and filling freezers. I’m kind of the same way I spose. I’ve shot deer while elk hunting but only if they were an easy out and wouldn’t mess with the time allotted for the elk hunt too much.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 11 09, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Nothing! Use every minute you have to achieve your goal. I never set myself up for regrets and if I shot something else and didn’t kill an elk I’d be laying in bed at night wondering if I was packing a deer or whatever on the day I was meant to kill a bull. Keep your eye on the ball. My name is Joe and I’m an elk nut!!!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Trophyhill » 11 09, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Definitely a big Muley if the opportunity presents itself. Grouse as Bill mentioned is always on the menu in CO.
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Lefty » 11 10, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Im more of a pursest, pursuing one thing at a time. Not sure why. If a simple situation where I dont need to go out of my way,.. Ill take the shot deer, lion or wolf
My daughter is more of an opportunist, if an opportunity arises she is after anything else , every grouse any deer,,.. sometimes almost to my frustration
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 11 12, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I would for sure shoot a wolf and a big mulie. Probably a cougar and bear.
Tigger