Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lessons Learned, 2019

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lessons Learned, 2019

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 25, 2019 •  [Post 1]

A wise old hunter once told me that "if you don't learn something new each day, that day is lost". As we are a constantly learning, evolving species... I believe strongly in that concept. We can transfer that concept to our fall hunting seasons. What did you learn this year, during your hunting season(s), about your area(s), your equipment, the game you hunted, or perhaps even yourself that you didn't know/realize in previous years?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Lessons Learned, 2019

Postby Swede » 11 25, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I learned my hunting area better. I will hang my stand in a different tree at one trail crossing. The shot angle on some elk that come around is too steep to be good. There is another area nearby that I want to explore. I am always watching for signs that it is time to hang up my bow for good, but the Lord has been wonderful and allowed me to hunt and shoot with good proficiency.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 11 25, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I learned the lay of the land much better, and how to navigate through it. ID'd some new areas to spend time in, and also learned that 4 years in a row, elk, and more importantly bulls, were in the same distant drainage, to far for a 1 day hunt. I'm going to fine tune my overnight setup so I can go there.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Trophyhill » 11 26, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I hunted briefly in CO and learned that pressure doesn't necessarily come from predators and hunters. Treehuggers turned hiking trails into bicycle highways. Never seen anything like it......
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Tigger » 11 26, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I learned I have a limit when it comes to grizzly bears.
Tigger

Postby Fridaythe13th » 11 26, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I became a little better tracker, elk can go anywhere, hills are taller and valleys where much deeper this year. Pop-up camper was awesome. But the biggest thing was not to go the 3rd week there was more people than elk.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Indian Summer » 11 26, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I relearned some old lessons. Go the extra mile and hit it hard from the start. After 30 hours of driving and a day of hard labor cutting wood etc we were exhausted. But I decided to saddle up the horses, make loads and pack my gear into high camp and throw the tent up. As it turned out the first day I went up to hunt instead of having any work to do in that camp I took the short hike over to my glassing spot.... and punched my tag. I’m certain a day later that bull would have been somewhere else where not only would I have had to take risks to get a shot opportunity but I’d have also had a much rougher pack out. From day 1 I kept the pedal to the metal and it paid off. Done hunting on day 3 of a 2 week hunt.

The other lesson is pick your partner with care. We had our share of ups and downs. Some tough times for sure. But two positive thinkers focused on our mission and had a good time doing it. My partner never gave up. Toughed it out through some damn ugly weather and ultimately punched his tag too. I’ve had had hunts where I killed bulls and didn’t have nearly as much fun overall. A partner makes or breaks the whole thing. Choose wisely!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Roosiebull » 11 27, 2019 •  [Post 8]

it almost seems like the rate of learning never really changes much, it seems like every encounter there is something to refine on, and things to pick up on the areas you hunt.

I got better at getting close this season, though it wouldn't apply if I was hunting a specific animal

I applied some concepts calling bulls, and that felt like my biggest breakthrough. I was looking at it in terms of what really happens between 2 bull elk.... and using their own tricks on them before they could to me. once I got a bull changing his attitude, I would be very aggressive and deliberate, and it seemed to work really well (I think roosies are just easy to anger and they all think they are big) I think most people lollygag way too much calling here on the coast.... if you try to be patient, the wind WILL change, and it will be over.

keep your distance, interact until you get a change in intensity, then storm the gates. bulls are always trying to circle your wind if you hang back patiently.... that's the first thing I do when I get a bull answering... I circle his and start his way. I know that's not possible in a lot of country, but it generally is on the coast with low visibility, and they don't seem to like that. the whole posturing sequence of 2 bulls seems to play out in a similar way most times, but humans don't seem to reenact that scenario well when calling.... that's what i'm looking forward to most next year, is diving deeper into that.

I found a video that i'm gonna post here with a totally different perspective on calling bulls than I have ever heard, and it's coming from a guy who is really successful at getting bulls killed, and it makes a lot of sense... so I look forward to trying that as well.

there is so much take away from a hunting season.... this was probably my biggest year of "growth" since my second year hunting. I sucked at shooting my recurve under pressure, and had a little bad luck mixed in too, which meant I got to hunt the whole season, and I had by far my best season of action.... tons of really good encounters with bulls. can't say I would change anything about the season if I could (especially at this point with my wife killing her first deer and elk this year)
Roosiebull

Postby Old school » 11 30, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Elk don’t read forums. You know - when it’s warm, elk will be in cool north facing timber, blah blah blah. After 8 days of hard hunting, bushwhacking and covering over 100 miles of terrain between our 2 “teams” and not hearing a single bugle, on day 9 I found where they were. Nobody around us was hearing anything either. It was pretty warm - in the mid 60’s. Everyone was saying that the elk were holed up somewhere in a dark, cool pocket. Where I found them they were completely out in the open - bedded in the open, bugling like crazy and it was still 60+ degrees.

Lesson - don’t box yourself into a certain pattern based on preconceived ideas of where elk will or will not be. You may just find them where you least expect to.

Lesson I implemented from the previous hunts - don’t ever give up - push on. When you’re not getting into them, don’t give up - allow that frustration to push you further. Sometimes that means moving camp.
-Mitch
Old school

Postby Swede » 11 30, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Mitch, I have watched elk out in the open numerous times with the temperatures well above 80 degrees. They don't all go to dark timber on north slopes.
Swede

Postby Old school » 11 30, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Swede - yep. Learned that first hand this year. They were bedded down out in the bright sun. Multiple herds. Don’t know where the satellites were though. These were herds of cows and a herd bull. No satellites. Some had 6 cows while others had 15 or so. Got to see an entire harem of cows ditch their bull and head over to another bull who had an awesome sounding bugle. The bull losing the cows was running like a cutting horse trying to get in front of his cows and turn them back. It was an awesome sight and I had a front row seat from about 150 yards away. He finally gave up and just fell in line following them over to the other bull.

Didn’t come home with an elk but wow - it was a great experience.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby elkstalker » 12 02, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Take advantage of good/bad weather. I took for granted early season snow and cold that hit the first week of rifle season and didn't hunt much, wanted to wait for the early season hunters to clear out first. Weather got warm and we had loud crunchy snow for the next 4 weeks that made stalking almost impossible and elk in the nosebleed section or on private. Finally got a storm last week that got them moving and harvested on the last weekend of the season. Should have hunted harder the first week when we had great elk hunting weather.
elkstalker

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 12 02, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Plan your campsite around your toilet, not the other way around. At least if you have gut issues like me :mrgreen:

I also learned that having the right treats in the food bag sure helps me keep grinding on day 7.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lefty » 12 03, 2019 •  [Post 14]

I like joes comment about relearning
I’ll state it this way some lessons need to be reinforced

Elk are not that smart,

My reinforced lessons
Herd bulls will charge in or run off with the cows
Satilitte bulls to often try to slip in and check things out
At times 40 minutes on a call location isn’t long enough
There are bigger and badder things in the woods than us

Just checking
Looking for discussion on smart elk
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkstalker » 12 03, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Lefty wrote:Elk are not that smart,

Just checking

I would agree with that statement, but add that they have great instincts for self preservation and much sharper senses than we do. Those instincts can also make them predictable in some situations, and to be successful we need to take advantage of that.
elkstalker

Postby Swede » 12 03, 2019 •  [Post 16]

If elk are stupid, why is it so hard to get one? :D
Swede

Postby ABQ_Chica » 12 04, 2019 •  [Post 17]

Oh boy...where to begin?! Some new-to-me lessons:
1) Cows and calves can hit wallows as often as (or more than) bulls do. Our cams showed cows and calves coming to wallows almost every day to drink. We even saw cow elk guide their calves past a full tank and to a mucky wallow.
2) Seeing other hunters or recent game kills in your area doesn't always mean the spot is ruined. If that spot is where the elk really want to be, they'll stick around, or at least won't be gone for long.
3) Don't be afraid to move your stand (*face palm*). As a new-ish tree stand hunter, I wanted to commit to my chosen spot and give it a chance. But in retrospect, I should have trusted my instinct and moved after the first day or two.
4) Carrying spare headlamps is SOOOO worth it. Ditto for extra batteries.
5) Fresh sautéed elk liver is the breakfast of champions after an all-night pack out!
ABQ_Chica

Postby Swede » 12 04, 2019 •  [Post 18]

Interesting observations ABQ__Chica. I have observed elk drink out of a mud hole or small trickle of water below a range trough. I have seen then go for the trough too. I have seen cows and calves play in a pool of water, but I have never seen them wallow like a bull does. I cannot say a cow or calf won't wallow, but I have just not observed then rolling around and mudding up like a bull will.
There is a time to stay put and show some patience and perseverance, and there is a time to move. It is a tough decision. I sure have not figured out that situation very well. Good luck.
Swede

Postby six » 12 18, 2019 •  [Post 19]

1. Lower elevation doesn't mean a easier hunt. We changed locations this year. Went from hunting at 10,000 feet to around 8,000. Easier to breath however hunting was uphill both ways lol.

2. Small world. Drove 1800 miles (27 hours) to the new spot. There was a truck at the trailhead with Michigan plates. Talked with the guys later in the week and we live 15 miles from each other.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby saddlesore » 12 18, 2019 •  [Post 20]

Swede wrote:If elk are stupid, why is it so hard to get one? :D

Some have to be stupid. I kill them regularly and I am not that good of a hunter. I think I may be coming close to eliminating that stupid in the gene pool on elk where I hunt because they are getting hard to come by.

This past year I needed to reinforce one thing.There comes a time when putting the safety back on and not shooting is the prudent thing to do
saddlesore

Postby 7mmfan » 12 18, 2019 •  [Post 21]

Lesson learned late 2019. Just because the out of state elk tag you have bought the last 5 years usually takes 2+ months to sell out, doesn't mean you should wait that long :cry: :evil:
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 22]

elkstalker wrote:
Lefty wrote:Elk are not that smart,
Just checking

\ they have great instincts for self preservation and much sharper senses than we do. Those instincts can also make them predictable in some situations, and to be successful we need to take advantage of that.

Exactly

People use to say the same about red fox or coyote: most are afraid of everything.
Well nearly every animal is afraid of everything

This year we had a bull come in at 60 yards( and down wind) for 10 minutes( yep I was keeping track of time) He just stared. Until my daughter was visible
That bull walked past Andrew at 30 yards and certainly must have gotten a nose full.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 23]

7mmfan wrote:Lesson learned late 2019. Just because the out of state elk tag you have bought the last 5 years usually takes 2+ months to sell out, doesn't mean you should wait that long :cry: :evil:

So much of life is that way
" You snooze you loose"

My daughters boyfriend Andrew wanted a 2nd tag.
My comment "If you're sure you want a 2nd tag buy it now"
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 24]

"Elk are not that smart"
Swede wrote:If elk are stupid, why is it so hard to get one? :D

They arent "stupid" They dont think: they escape
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 25]

Lefty wrote:
7mmfan wrote:Lesson learned late 2019. Just because the out of state elk tag you have bought the last 5 years usually takes 2+ months to sell out, doesn't mean you should wait that long :cry: :evil:

So much of life is that way
" You snooze you loose"

My daughters boyfriend Andrew wanted a 2nd tag.
My comment "If you're sure you want a 2nd tag buy it now"

Yep, I was just waiting on a paycheck. Oh well. I may return just to deer hunt, maybe with a... 2nd tag. :lol: Maybe I'll branch out and pick a new elk unit. Maybe I'll just stowaway in RJ's luggage and act confused when he finds me. Maybe I'll just stay home and hunt Blacktail. Lots of options.
7mmfan

Postby snowbank » 12 31, 2019 •  [Post 26]

Early on it took me 4 years to learn every trail, migration paths, weather triggers, wind directions per block of trees, and elk patterns for 3 topographic quads. I try to expand my knowledge of 2-3 new areas every year. If I tag out early I continue to hunt coyotes till the end of the season to learn how elk move, where they hide, what makes them move and what makes them hold up and where. With all the trees falling down now you have to figure out where the new patterns are.

I try to cut out 5-6 trails a year in the off season to help the elk follow their historic trails. Most times if you cut the trails the elk will use them within the week. Elk are relatively lazy and severe creatures of habit. Learn the land and the herd and success will follow.

I don't hunt antlers much any more. They are tough chewing and not that tasty. I'll shoot them if I have to but a young cow makes the winter more pleasant. If you have a need for bone - focus on a 10-12 year old bull and learn his pattern. Plan on taking a year or two to get the job done.
snowbank

Postby lamrith » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 27]

#1 Develop a routine, do it every time, make it second nature, and make it one that is flexible for different scenarios so you can do it the same way no matter what is going on around you.
#2 Take a breath, think, and stay with what you have practiced, be it techniques, gear setup etc.

As a newer hunter still myself (5yrs+ trying and very few encounters) it is very very easy to get wound up and not thinking clearly and not do things that should be fairly natural. This struck me this year as I was also hunting in a way that was completely outside my experience, as such my gear was not in it's normal place and format. I normally archery hunt, and keep most things I need quickly on my pack or pants pockets so they are easy to grab as I move. wind checker in left pack belt pocket, rangefinder on right, calls in front pocket, etc, etc. My pack almost seems like a part of me and I blindly reach for rangefinder for gear on the move.

This year I had the opportunity to rifle hunt on private property and it ended up being done all from a vehicle. My pack was in the backseat, so I pulled rangefinder out of my pack and had on the center console in case I needed it. We came around a corner and had elk on a far hillside, well within rifle range. I hopped out of the truck to find a good spot to shoot from and got setup on a nice bull and took a shot. BOOOM, nothing, I thought I saw him flinch, but 7am sun a bit behind him and he is in shade, I was not sure, just knew he did not drop. Few cows shuffle around, but nothing runs. Shot felt great on release so I am confused. I rack another round take a few breaths settle in and squeeze again. This time I see the cows jump and they all head over the hill, the bull following, but limping.

Remember that rangefinder? Well when I got out of the truck I did not have my pack on like I normally do when I hunt as it was a quick hop out, get a shot and go. Normally my 1st instinct when I have my pack on is to grab my rangefinder as I am moving to a shooting spot and range on the move. No pack, no rangefinder, no ranging. Meaning those 1st shots were completely blind shots in terms of range. I knew they were long but had zero idea HOW long in my adrenalin induced tunnel-vision, I held center crosshairs and shot. We followed the herd as I thought I had injured the bull and eventually got him down, only to find not a scratch on him. He was limping because of hoofrot.

It had been bugging me since the 1st shot, so once we got back to the truck, we went over to where I had shot the 1st time and I ranged it, 300yrds. Well within range of my rifle, IF I held for the proper drop. There was not way I could have injured him at that range with the hold I used. DOH!

My take away from my hunt is that I might change need to change how/where I carry my rangefinder that works for both on foot pack hunting and in vehicle for hunts in open areas like this year.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry