Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

crossbows

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

crossbows

Postby saddlesore » 11 14, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Received confirmation from CPW that I now have lifetime crossbow permit to use in regular archery season.
Now for the search on what to buy.

Decided I pretty much need crank type cocking mechanism.

This means a draw tag for ML cow elk tag and then an OTC either sex or cow tag for the remainder of September next year.Already have a honey hole for deer.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: crossbows

Postby Swede » 11 14, 2019 •  [Post 2]

With that crossbow, will any deer or elk be safe? Good luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 15, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Most crossbows come with a scope package . As you know, only 0 magnification is allowed in Colorado. So you will have to start looking at some sort of sighting system. I found a 1X Vortex shotgun scope on ebay for mine. Another option would be a red dot. If there's anything else I can help you out with, just let me know.

Oh ya! Almost forgot! They are a royal pain in the poop chute to pack around. Least ways they are for me! :(
>>>---WW---->

Postby Deanmac » 11 15, 2019 •  [Post 4]

IMO
Excalibur is the way to go, they make a removable cocking crank. Less moving parts, high velocity, shoots like a rifle out to 50 yards.

One negative of crossbows, they are heavy and bulky to carry around in the woods.

Congrats on your permit.
Deanmac

Postby Roosiebull » 11 24, 2019 •  [Post 5]

saddlesore wrote:Received confirmation from CPW that I now have lifetime crossbow permit to use in regular archery season.
Now for the search on what to buy.

Decided I pretty much need crank type cocking mechanism.

This means a draw tag for ML cow elk tag and then an OTC either sex or cow tag for the remainder of September next year.Already have a honey hole for deer.

Good deal! You should have fun next year.
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 11 25, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:With that crossbow, will any deer or elk be safe? Good luck.

completely safe, especially if you cook until their internal temp is 160*

we all know deer or elk are pretty safe cooked medium rare too... i'm more of a medium guy, but don't mind medium rare. if he plans on bear hunting with the crossbow, they aren't as safe.... but just need to make sure it's cooked thoroughly.. :D

i assume that's what you meant? if you are talking about their safety, of course they aren't!

it's cool Colorado has that law. I would fully support that here too. I think when folks reach age of getting their "pioneer license" crossbows should be allowed for those folks during archery season if they choose to.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 11 25, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I don't know how I feel about opening up Oregon for crossbows. I would like it so the disabled could use them, but at 72 I still don't need one. Still they would be great from a a tree stand. :D
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 25, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Well, here is the deal as it stands in Colorado. For hunting big game, you have to have a permanent handicap that makes you incapable of using a regular legal bow. And you need a form from a Dr or PT stating so. That form is sent to the CPW for inspection. Then and only then will you be issued a life time permit to use a crossbow during the big game season.

Some of the restrictions include no magnified sights. So that makes it pretty much impossible to use anything other than 1X scopes or red dot sights. And they also would like for you to notify the local warden when and where you intend to be hunting if possible.

Swede: Do you think something like that would work in OR?
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 11 25, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I think it would work fine. I like enabling old men like Saddlesore and yourself to get out and hunt. You guys are true sportsmen and know what it is to hunt with minimal equipment. Rifles with iron sights, long bows or recurve bows. You know what it is like to sleep under a couple of wool blankets and cook over a fire in a cast iron skillet. Literally you hunted much like people did in the 19th century except you had an old 2 wheel drive pickup or a rwd car to drive before we got there. You carried a box of tools with you wherever you went so you could be more sure of getting home. Tire chains were a fact of life on most hunts.
What I would like to avoid is offering more sophisticated tools to hunters just so hunting is even easier and the tools more lethal. We are not allowed any crossbows in Oregon, but I saw a young man I know with one. He is not handicapped, but he is greedy. He will shoot at anything that his convoluted mind allows him to hope is within range. He shot a buck an 80 yards and cut its throat. His mom was bragging to me about it. It was a trophy that won him some big buck contests.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 11 25, 2019 •  [Post 10]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Well, here is the deal as it stands in Colorado. For hunting big game, you have to have a permanent handicap that makes you incapable of using a regular legal bow. And you need a form from a Dr or PT stating so. That form is sent to the CPW for inspection. Then and only then will you be issued a life time permit to use a crossbow during the big game season.

Some of the restrictions include no magnified sights. So that makes it pretty much impossible to use anything other than 1X scopes or red dot sights. And they also would like for you to notify the local warden when and where you intend to be hunting if possible.

Swede: Do you think something like that would work in OR?

I have all the boxes crossed off now, but never heard about the game warden notification though. Two areas I hunt otherwise are draw only for archery so that lets those out because I still want to do ML. I don't want to kill two elk.Don't even care if I even kill one, I only want the opportunity to spend more time hunting. At my age every year could be the last trip so I want to pack in as many in as I can.

Swede. My first deer hunting trips were in a 53 Chevy sedan,chained up. First gun was a single shot .410 with rifled slugs although back then they were round balls, Then I got to use a Remington 32-20 that my uncle let me borrow. After I moved to NM it was a 56 Chevy. Yep,we slept under a tarp laid out and then pulled the other half up over our bed rolls . Cooked on open fires. Our lanterns were the old kerosene railroad type lanterns. I still have two of them hanging down in the barn.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 11 25, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Saddlesore I too remember going hunting in a 4 door sedan. It was easy to get all of my stuff in and out of that car. The main reason it was so easy, was due the fact I had so very little to take in and out. My first lantern used white gas, and I had an army surplus bag to sleep in. I had a two D cell battery flashlight. It is interesting that your first rifle was a 32-20 you borrowed. My first hunt was with a borrowed 32-20 also. A year later my dad bought me a 6.5 Swedish Mauser for about $18. He pulled it out of a barrel of guns in Montgomery Wards. The gun was 100% military back then.
Cooking was a special proposition back when I got started. There was no Mountain House or instant anything. Anything that needed to be cooked had to be prepared by hand and cooked. I was fortunate I guess because I had a real tent. It was small and heavy canvas. I think I got it from Monkey Wards too. I actually miss those days.
I started hunting with my dad and brother, but life happens and I had to move on. I would rather have another early October deer hunt in eastern Oregon with dad and brother than any guided hunt I can imagine. To be honest deer hunting back then was a lot more fun than elk hunting. The weather was a lot better. I would not want to ever go back to some of my old elk hunts.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 11 26, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Brings back memories. Almost everyone called them Monkey Wards.I bought one of those barrel rifles for $12. It was a a 1903 Springfield. I used it for several years shooting DCM matches.
Years later I also bought a Swede, mail order.Only it was $49 .Still have it. It was unfired when I bought it and it is now all sportarized , but the most accurate rifle I have
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 26, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Vince: I think notifying the warden is more of a recommendation than a regulation. Read through all your crossbow permit stuff and you should find it in there somewhere. I kind of think it is so the warden won't get all shook up when some yahoo calls him to report a guy using a crossbow. LOL!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Indian Summer » 11 27, 2019 •  [Post 14]

I have a Barnett Ghost 350. It’s nice but as others have said it’s like carrying around a railroad tie! It’s been years since I’ve used it.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 28, 2019 •  [Post 15]

There ya go Injun Joe! :D Saddlesore is looking for one. Maybe you should sell it. ;)
>>>---WW---->

Postby saddlesore » 11 28, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Need one with a crank type cocking mechanism. Might be rethinking this .Cheapest one I found was $650, bolts another $50 , broad heads another $50 , case to pack on a mule $75. Kind a pricey for me that may have 3-4 years more hunting in my life.
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 28, 2019 •  [Post 17]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sniper-Hunting ... SwO0Vdw1m7

This is what I have. I cashed in all of my Cabelas points and got it for $65 bucks. Forget the scope that comes with it(not legal in Colorado)! I bought a PSE cranking device for mine.

You can find some good deals if you look hard enough. Even Walmart has one with a crank.I think it is called the Centerpoint Patroit.
>>>---WW---->

Postby jmez » 11 29, 2019 •  [Post 18]

Would you rather have $900 in your pocket or 4-5 more elk hunting memories?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 29, 2019 •  [Post 19]

>>>---WW----> wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sniper-Hunting-Compound-Crossbow-Camouflage-Quiver-Arrows-4x32mm-Scope/264525912213?hash=item3d96f91895:g:o4QAAOSwO0Vdw1m7

This is what I have. I cashed in all of my Cabelas points and got it for $65 bucks. Forget the scope that comes with it(not legal in Colorado)! I bought a PSE cranking device for mine.

You can find some good deals if you look hard enough. Even Walmart has one with a crank.I think it is called the Centerpoint Patroit.

Slick looking XBow mister.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 11 29, 2019 •  [Post 20]

jmez wrote:Would you rather have $900 in your pocket or 4-5 more elk hunting memories?Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Problem being I don't have $900 laying around.
saddlesore

Postby saddlesore » 11 29, 2019 •  [Post 21]

>>>---WW----> wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sniper-Hunting-Compound-Crossbow-Camouflage-Quiver-Arrows-4x32mm-Scope/264525912213?hash=item3d96f91895:g:o4QAAOSwO0Vdw1m7

Thanks Billl. Been Looking. I have $150 Cabelas points ,but when I travel to Denver 9 times out of ten, they don't have them in stock. The store in south Denver really sucks. Bass Pro sends out ads,but none in stock of the ones they advertise here in Colorado Springs. I hesitate to go Ebay because I don' t have clue on what I am buying.I don't want to end up with a 8 # boat anchor. I have been looking for 1X scopes, but all I have found are ones 9" long. Would like some more along the lines of the 4Xscopes length the xbows come with, but only 1x.

We had some deep snow the last week that stopped my looking . Not many archer shops in Colorado Springs.At least the ones I found don't carry cross bows
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 30, 2019 •  [Post 22]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-Kaspa-H ... SwGrpduxI6

Found this on ebay if you want to keep the price down. Should work on a crossbow!
>>>---WW---->

Postby jmez » 12 03, 2019 •  [Post 23]

Watch Craigslist. One for sale here comes with everything, bolts, broadheads, scope, and a hard case for $250. Bet you can get a deal on one.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby saddlesore » 12 04, 2019 •  [Post 24]

Deleted
saddlesore