Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

You might be an elk hunting addict if.....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

You might be an elk hunting addict if.....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 1]

On the tail of Fridaythe13th's thread, I figured I'd start this one. I'm quite certain I do not go a day without thinking about elk hunting; its an on-going affliction I have and it affects every part of my life and has for years.

Similar to Jeff Foxworthy's "you might be a redneck" theme, let's get this running as it pertains your, my, our elk hunting addiction. Jump in and post up a couple if you wish.

Sample entry/post:

"If you suddenly drop to all fours outside the movie theatre to further examine a handful of milk duds for freshness, you might be...…"

Let's hear em!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: You might be an elk hunting addict if.....

Postby Swede » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 2]

If you hear a bird chirp near your house and pause to listen and look for a cow elk, you are an elk hunting addict.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 3]

...If you plan your baby making around September and October.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 4]

If you planned your wedding to fall outside of any good fishing, deer, elk, or duck season :mrgreen: .
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Indian Summer » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I have to say Rory that there is DEFINITELY not a single day where I don’t think about elk hunting. 365 days a year!

Here’s me this year: You might be an elk addict if.... you don’t even think about any type of vacation at all. You don’t miss a single day of work all year... sick or not, because elk season starts on a Thursday this year and you can’t miss the opener but 9 days isn’t enough to hunt so you say screw it... 2 weeks doesn’t cut it so 3 weeks off from work it is! Dream scenario is we kill 3 bulls fast, drive home early and show up at work to tell the boss you are carrying those days over to next year so you can take FOUR weeks off!

It’s a vicious never ending cycle I tell ya! :D

I remember once many years ago when I had no seniority at all where I worked. I drew a Montana elk license. Come hunting season a guy named Lou with a million years of seniority decided to take a vacation. They told me sorry you can’t have the time off. It was a big company. The owner was filthy rich and hardly ever there. I told the manager that I was going elk hunting no matter what and that I didn’t care what anyone said I’d discuss it with the owner. They all laughed at the new guy and said yeah right good luck with that!

I marched upstairs to the office. I told him I paid $400 for that license and I didn’t give a rat’s a$$ if the other guy worked there since he was in diapers. I told him I would quit my job if that’s what it came down to. He laughed his butt of and said holy crap kid you are serious! Well ok then but you can be the the one to break it to Lou that he has to work next week! You should have seen the looks on the faces when I went back downstairs and said I told you people it was non negotiable see you in two weeks Lou! Lmao!!! :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:If you planned your wedding to fall outside of any good fishing, deer, elk, or duck season :mrgreen: .

:lol: My wife couldn't wait to marry me. Minnesota trapping was over, So our honeymoon I ran a small trap line in sunny California.

You might be an elk hunter: when you wife tells a folks we cant make it during the sacred month of September
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Indian Summer wrote: I told him I would quit my job :

A friend and buddy had landed a $100K job in 1990 and told them he wanted 3 or 4 weeks off in October. Sure: all good.

In September he started asking about which days he could hunt. The boss claimed he thought he was kidding, and he was too valuable to take off hunting.
8-) 8-) 8-)
While visiting with Joe this last November Joe announce he hasn't missed a single day of duck hunting since 1976.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 8]

I remember in 1962 dad took a job in the Spring, cutting timber in the Oregon coast range. He said at the time he was going to take a week off in October to go hunting. Come October the logging contractor told him he could not have the time off. Dad packed his saw out as well as his other tools and put them in the back of his pickup. I don't remember if he ever saw that logger again, or he went back to work there. I just remember I got kicked out of high school for being absent without permission from the school.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 9]

One time me and my brother.. about 10 and 12 at the time, were late for school. We both got sent to the principals office and he asked us why we weren’t on the bus and were late. We told the truth which was we were checking a trap line on the way to school and we had a big raccoon in a foot trap. It was really tough and we had a hard time killing it. He thought that was great! Good clean fun right. He proceeded to ask us a bunch of questions about trapping then told us to get started earlier in the future and wished us luck. No punishment! :D
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I’ll be 55 next month and some things never change. Shell Oil has a ton of employee policies. They’re really strict on the allowable number of days off. BUT... I checked and they don’t say anything about how many days you can schedule off consecutively. Hehe... I’m sure they aren’t going to be happy about me missing 3 weeks straight. They have a habit of changing their policies at any given moment when it works best for them. But mark my word I will quit my job if they say no. Well actually I’ll let them fire me because they would have no grounds to stand on if it came down to an unemployment hearing. I heard they just extended the extra $600 per week extra on top of unemployment so it wouldn’t break my heart if they gave me deer season off after my elk hunt. Lol Elk hunting is NON NEGOTIABLE!
Indian Summer

Postby Tigger » 05 26, 2020 •  [Post 11]

If....you wake up in them middle of the night to a screeching sound and your first thought is.....that's a bugle!!! Then your next thought is, wait, I am at home and it is late May. It is not a bugle. Then the screeching starts again and you realize a rabbit is losing the battle of life to something bigger and meaner. It lasted about a minute or so. man, did that send shivers up my spine last night!
Tigger

Postby Bolt » 05 26, 2020 •  [Post 12]

7mmfan wrote:...If you plan your baby making around September and October.

Been there, did that. :D
Bolt

Postby saddlesore » 05 26, 2020 •  [Post 13]

When youquit your job and move to another state so you can hunt elk every year instead of every 2-3 years by draws.

When you drive 2 hours from job site to airport on a Friday night,fly home , drive an hour from airport to home,pack up,drive 4 hours to be in hunt area before first light Repeat in reverse Sunday
saddlesore

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 14]

You might be...... if your walking to work and you have to circle the building to get down wind.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Tom Grates » 05 28, 2020 •  [Post 15]

If you and your partner text daily about gear, season plans, first day scenarios.........
Tom Grates

Postby BrowTines » 05 29, 2020 •  [Post 16]

...if you hope COVID 19 will still be keeping us at home (and out hunting) till the end of Oct.
BrowTines