Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

All purpose hunting rifle

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 09, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Ok, for a predominate bow hunter who wishes to get one boomstick for big game hunting (elk, deer, maybe a moose tag if drawn), what is a good round/rifle? A .308 comes to mind but what do you cats think?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: All purpose hunting rifle

Postby wawhitey » 11 10, 2015 •  [Post 2]

.308 or .270 are plenty, provided youre not the kind of guy who wants to shoot longrange. A lot of guys, myself included, dont handle magnum rifle calibers well. I have a .300 win mag that i just do not enjoy shooting at all. The power and flat trajectory is appealing, but the truth is many people just cant shoot them well, though most are afraid that if they admit it their manhood eill fall off. I dig high powered handguns, but when it comes to rifles give me a .308 or .270.

As for type of gun, im partial to lever action, but for an all around rifle a bolt is the way to go. The one thing ive found with my lever guns is that if you find yourself in the position where youre shooting prone, rifle rested on your pack, you cant cycle the action without pucking your rifle up and coming off target like you can with a bolt.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Rangerz » 11 10, 2015 •  [Post 3]

My vote would be a 30.06. Probably one of the most versatile calibers around. Lot of ammo choices. When handloading you can approach the performance of a 300 win mag if the recoil doesn't bother you.

I prefer a bolt action for the most versatility. Would love to have a pre 64 Model 70.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby Brendan » 11 10, 2015 •  [Post 4]

I would have to agree on the .30-06 for all around versatility. I've heard great things about the Tikka T3 - great shooter, great value (Don't own one, so your mileage may vary...)
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Elkduds » 11 10, 2015 •  [Post 5]

I'll step in it. A 270 will do most of what a 30-06 does, only better due to less recoil. I've used both. If you can make a 150 gr. bullet work in factory loads, or a 160 gr. in handloads, choose the 270. 270 and 06 are essentially the same case, meaning they shoot the same bullet weight @ the same speed. A 150 gr. 270 bullet (.277 in) is longer than a 150 gr. 30-06 bullet (.308 in). Longer bullets are more accurate @ ranges over 300 yards, a property called sectional density. Partition and bonded bullets, which hold together while penetrating deeply, make 150 gr. bullets deadly on larger game such as elk and moose. A recent poll of game killed by 30-06 vs 270 showed that 0% of the dead animals could tell the difference between the 2.

Handloaders often like the 280 better than either of those calibers above. Same case, same speed w wider selection of 7mm caliber bullets, up to 175 grains.

If you like magnums, you can generate a lot more noise and recoil to achieve slightly faster speeds w same weight bullets as the non-magnum calibers.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby pointysticks » 11 10, 2015 •  [Post 6]

i vote 30.06.

super versatile. bullet weights are all over the scale. pretty accurate. any back country store has a strong possibility of having a few boxes of ammo behind the counter for sale. all the rifle manufacturers make a version that eats that bullet. i have a POST 64 Winney and it is stupid accurate. clover leaf groups all day long IF i reload. i dont reload anymore so the groups are still GREAT but not like before.

the downside of the 30.06? it is about as exciting as a piece of sliced white bread. almost mundane..nobody gets excited about the 06. it is a great round. almost ancient..blows me away how long it has been around.

(i also have the opposite of a 06. a 257 Wtby mag...hard to find ammo, finicky..expensive.hahaha.) i shoot the 06 more at animals.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby cohunter14 » 11 10, 2015 •  [Post 7]

There are a ton of good options out there and a lot of it just depends on the individual. My suggestion would be to try to shoot as many different calibers as possible and see what feels good. Some people can shoot magnum rounds and don't mind the recoil, others can't. But there are definite advantages as you get up to the magnum cartridges, which is why they make them. Truthfully, you could choose anything from a 6.5 or .260 caliber to a .338 caliber and your decision won't be wrong as they will all do the job. Each caliber has an advantage and disadvantage and it's up to the end user to decide which disadvantages they are willing to live with for the certain advantages they get.
cohunter14

First Name: Derek

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 10, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for all the input and discussion guys. I grew up in MT hunting with both archery gear and rifles but have long since moved away from even owning a hunting rifle. As I get closer to a place in my life where I may be able to hunt multiple seasons with more than just onee weapon choices, it's probably time to pick up a boom stick. When my pop was alive, his favorite round was a 300 WinMag, my younger brother has had and loves his 300 WeathMag, and my grandpa used to swear by his old .308. I've been out of the rifle business for more than just a bit so I thought I'd see what folks recommend for an all around big game round. Again, I appreciate the discussion and input! RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby DBLGBL » 11 10, 2015 •  [Post 9]

I had a 300 win mag. Shot a bull 3 times and nearly had heart failure before he tipped over. Gun must be off I thought. Nope all in the boiler room in a baseball size group. Being from the east I figured dam they are tough critters. I sold the monster and never looked back. Spent a month or three working on a 150 grain load for a very light 270 to shoot elk with. Pure torture! I am not recoil shy. My favorite rifle now is a custom 7mm short magnum . 140 grain nosler partitions at 3000 fps. I would not be afraid to poke an elk in the ribs with this load, It makes for a nice all around gun for anything in North America whitetails to moose. It does not kill on both ends and weighs in scoped at 7 lbs. Probably not a good choice if you need to buy ammo at the gas station. Never owned a 3006 but figure that many people can't wrong. Lot's ofchoices kind of like women.

2gbl
DBLGBL

Postby husky390 » 11 10, 2015 •  [Post 10]

I haven't shot anything with it yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed carrying my Ruger American Compact in .308. Shoots like a dream (sub-moa) with Barnes Vor-tex 168gr factory loads and weighs less than 7lbs scoped. I'm 6'1" 240 and it looks and feels like I'm carrying a .22 but it's fast and light. Plus it's cheap so I don't care if it gets knocked around. I really wonder why I ever bothered with a monster magnum in the first place. I'd recommend either a .308 or 30-06 if I was in your shoes just due to ammo choices. Heck, if you just wanted to plink, you can get .308 for around $15/box.

Here's a write up I did on another forum.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthre ... BR-Edition
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby llewokj » 11 11, 2015 •  [Post 11]

'All' - Purpose would Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle - .308 win

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteSc ... odels.html
llewokj

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Kowell

Postby Ponyboy_jonas » 11 11, 2015 •  [Post 12]

You can't go wrong with a Savage 30.06.
Ponyboy_jonas

Postby Njdiverdan » 11 11, 2015 •  [Post 13]

Rifle calibers are always a tough question as there are so many effective options. I like my 7 mm Rem Mag for all western hunting. Flat shooting, I don't find the recoil offensive and plenty of knock down power. I think a lot of people choose their preferred caliber because of family history, or a buddy's success etc.
Njdiverdan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Smith

Postby elkstalker » 11 17, 2015 •  [Post 14]

I shoot a 7 mag for elk and deer and sometimes antelope (although it's overkill on them). I also try to shoot heavy (175 grain) bullets, especially for elk. I want to know that when I connect it's going to do the job.
elkstalker

Postby Lefty » 11 17, 2015 •  [Post 15]

My daughter is buying her all purpose hunting rifle,.. Im suggesting the 300 SM and Ill make the loads she needs.
But if yu dont load your own , for most people I would suggest a 30-06.

I believe in big calibers, and if money wasnt an issue I would go with a .338 short mag. I want things dead, and maybe a bit "over-kill"
However 300 has more hand-loading options and far cheaper.
For a practical point for others I would still go with a 30-06. 110 gn-220 grain options.

Now for my daughters they have used my 7 mm. 110 gn . for antelope.
I killed my moose with 165 Partictians, my daughter killed hers with 175 Trophy bonds. However I never let her practice with anything bigger than 110's

Short mags all have ballistic and felt recoil advantages, the bullet is pushed out the barrel more even because of the wider diameter casing and better burning qualities of the powder inside the casing

Every manufacturers bolt action seems fine to me most can have a hand load of less than 1MOA and factory ammo under 1.3inches.

Now for living in the west, for me .338 SM and a 7mm or .270 in a short mag could be an everything needed.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 11 17, 2015 •  [Post 16]

DBLGBL wrote: Lot's of choices kind of like women.2gbl

I cant stop laughing, :shock: :lol: . But very accurate
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 11 18, 2015 •  [Post 17]

I well add my favorite all-a-round caliber to the list 300 ultra mag with a muzzle break. Flat shooting, plenty of knock down power, not scared to shot 500 yards plus. With the muzzle break kicks like a 243. Just be careful if the neighbors windows are open when sighting in, it's loooooud with the muzzle break.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lost Dog » 11 18, 2015 •  [Post 18]

My first post on this forum. I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

I shoot a 30 06 and have had good success. I like the fact that the animal goes down and stays down. My first rifle was a Springfield with peep sights and now I have a Savage that I bought in 1979 for $130 with scope. Most shots have been 100 yards or less for elk and deer, however, I do remember three kills that were in the 300-400 yard range. I use 180 grain factory loads.

My Dad had a pump action 270 that he killed some monsters with in the 1950's. That gun was lost in a fire and he then bought a lever action 308 Winchester. Many kills with that gun also. He changed back to a bolt action 270 for his last few years of hunting and killed his last elk with it when he was 84. He liked the 308 lever action better than the bolt action of his 270 but liked the flat shooting of the 270.

I picked up a Savage 270 for my oldest son when he was 13 and he has had lots of success with it. Both deer and elk; 150 grain factory loads. He has had a couple of bulls that got back up after taking a shot.

My youngest son is now shooting the lever action 308 that was my Dad's and he has killed two nice bucks and 4 bulls. He shoots 180 grain factory loads.

My Uncle has bought many different caliber rifles over the years. Very little success, he always blames the rifle.

Main thing is to pick a caliber and to get real familiar with it. I took a young guy out this year and he never lifted his rifle to 'scope' anything out, he always used his binocs. When he did get a broadside shot he couldn't hold it steady. Shooting in the field is a lot different than shooting on the range but that is another topic.
Lost Dog

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 18, 2015 •  [Post 19]

Heck of a first post Lost dog, thanks for chiming in and welcome to the forum!
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 11 20, 2015 •  [Post 20]

Lost dog, im assuming youre talking about a model 88, regarding the lever .308. Which 180gr factory loads do you shoot in it? I have two of these guns and am just curious. 150gr corelokts shoot great out of mine for some reason.
wawhitey

Postby Lost Dog » 11 20, 2015 •  [Post 21]

It is a model 88. I believe my son was shooting Winchester superpoint 180's.
Lost Dog

Postby wawhitey » 11 20, 2015 •  [Post 22]

Thanks, maybe ill buy a box, send some down the barrel and see how they group. No complaints at all on my 150s, but cant hurt to check.
wawhitey

Postby Tim in Wa. » 11 21, 2015 •  [Post 23]

my vote is for a 308 Win. but only if you get one with a short action made for that family of cartridges.If you get one with a long action you may as well get a 30-06 if the weight is the same
Tim in Wa.

First Name: Tim
Last Name: Ottersen

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 01, 2015 •  [Post 24]

OK, I've kind of settled on a boomstick that's in my budget and still seems to be a pretty decent rifle. What are your thoughts on the Weatherby Vanguard Series II? Obviously need to slap a scope on it.

Here's a Cabelas link so you can look at it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... type%3DGNU

Still unsure of which round to get.... Remember, I haven't owned/shot a rifle for a long time except in the Army (all archery since back when I could hunt an archery season and a rifle season in MT) so I appreciate everybody's input as I'm really not very smart on the whole ballistics thing for hunting rifles. Mrs. Phantom and I plan on moving back to real hunting states (ID or MT) in early 2017 so I need to get my boomstick back on :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby Rangerz » 12 01, 2015 •  [Post 25]

I was just looking at these the other day. Was dreaming of a Cooper but don't think I could justify the price.

Was torn between one of these and a Tikka.

Good luck in your decision!

p.s. Still think you should get an 06 :D
Rangerz

Postby pointysticks » 12 02, 2015 •  [Post 26]

How are we defining "all purpose"?

Any game on our continent? Or just local. ?
pointysticks

Postby cohunter14 » 12 02, 2015 •  [Post 27]

RJ, I thought the question was more hypothetical and didn't realize you were looking to buy one. What ranges are you hoping to shoot distance-wise? How accurate are you looking to get? These two kind of go a little hand in hand, but depending on your answer the Vanguard could be great or you might want to look elsewhere. What is your budget for the entire setup?

I still think it would be wise to try to shoot some different calibers to get a feel for them as well. Figure out how much recoil is 'too much'.
cohunter14

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 02, 2015 •  [Post 28]

Ya, actually looking at buying a rifle soon. As I get closer to a potential move (final retirement move) to probably N Idaho, I'm gonna need a rifle as I'll actually have opportunties to hunt with a rifle (unlike WA state where you have to choose your weapon/season for the most part). I've shot about everything back in the day from varmint calibers up to big rounds (.338). Owned a 30.06 for many years and liked it, and, used/shot my pop's 300 WM many times. I'm not interested in something as big as a .338 as I want to be able to range shoot year around w/o having mass recoil, lol. Max distance? I would image 400ish yards max for the majority of applications in N Idaho but may be out to 500? Accuracy? Certainly something that can place a round in the boiler room at that 400 yard max range consistently. Price range? I'm looking to get back into a new boomstick w/decent scope for around 900 or a bit less after tax.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkduds » 12 02, 2015 •  [Post 29]

Elkduds

Postby husky390 » 12 02, 2015 •  [Post 30]

The Stevens is probably one of the best sleeper rifles out there, especially once you drop in a Timney like what Elkduds did. From what I can tell, it's basically the Savage 110 from the 90's, early 2,000's.

While you're considering what rifle to get, I'd take a hard look at this Leupold VXII with CDS on sale for $249.00. It's a great scope, I have two of them. I'd also watch to see if Cabela's puts the VXIII CDS back on sale again. I picked one up for $300 after I cash in the rebate.

Scroll down to the very bottom of the page.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... _104535180
husky390

Postby Brendan » 12 03, 2015 •  [Post 31]

This Tikka 300WSM is available in Washington State...

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthre ... ipod-rings)

Still needs a scope so might be a little over budget.
Brendan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 03, 2015 •  [Post 32]

That's a good looking rifle Brendan, thanks for the link. And, thanks to everybody else for chiming in! I'm learning quite a bit from this thread. Who knows, perhaps Santa will hook me up for Xmas :)
WapitiTalk1

Postby cohunter14 » 12 03, 2015 •  [Post 33]

Seeing that you want to shoot out to 400 and maybe 500 yards, I would personally recommend a 300 win mag, especially since you have shot it before and are comfortable with it. That will carry enough energy to take any animal at those ranges. A sub MOA rifle will be plenty accurate at those ranges as well, so that Vanguard would work great as would any other rifle with a sub MOA guarantee.

As Husky said, keep an eye out at Cabelas for a scope. They have a bunch of them for sale, including the Nikon Monarch 3. The VX-3's were on sale the other day as well, but it looks like they aren't anymore. Vortex also has a lot of great scopes that should fit your price range.
cohunter14

Postby wawhitey » 12 03, 2015 •  [Post 34]

I still have my savage 111 long range hunter in .300wm for sale. I dont plan on using it again, but i havent really been actively trying to sell it. If you think you may be interested shoot me a pm, i can give you a solid deal on it

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/mode ... ANGEHUNTER
wawhitey

Postby pointysticks » 12 03, 2015 •  [Post 35]

Phantom16 wrote:That's a good looking rifle Brendan, thanks for the link. And, thanks to everybody else for chiming in! I'm learning quite a bit from this thread. Who knows, perhaps Santa will hook me up for Xmas :)

In my experience, Santa is not pro-gun. Haha. Or I'm on his S-list from my youth.
pointysticks

Postby Swede » 12 04, 2015 •  [Post 36]

If I had only one large caliber rifle, it would be a 30-06. Probably a Winchester model 70, or Sako depending on my budget. I prefer to shoot a 308, but the 06 is more versatile and flatter shooting with heavier bullets.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 05, 2015 •  [Post 37]

Well, I've got my boom stick money in my hot little hands (I sold one of my old vintage trailers). Now the challenge begins... which rifle to buy in what caliber? I am a terrible in store shopper and have a short attention span so thank goodness for the internet (and the recommendations of you fine folks) so I can pretty much choose what I want before I step foot into the store. I'm leaning towards that Weatherby Vanguard II I posted earlier, 7MM Rem MAG, 30.06, or .308, with a Leopold scope. Went in to browse scopes in Cabelas a bit ago and holy catfish, they're more complex than rifle ballistics! Reticle this and duplex that...

More in my series of "I don't know much about boom sticks" questions. Are all new rifles tapped for scope mounting? When I buy a new scope for the rifle, does it come with scope mounting hardware? Lastly, will the store (I'm assuming yes to this) mount the scope for me and do a bore sight? See, I told you I don't know much about rifles stuff ;) As always, thanks for chiming in and steering me down the right path. I'm kind of like Tom Cruise in that racing movie (Days of Thunder)... he could drive the doors off the car, but, knew little about them. I can shoot very well but haven't owned a rifle in years (got lots of range trigger time in the Army).
WapitiTalk1

Postby husky390 » 12 05, 2015 •  [Post 38]

PM sent
husky390

Postby Elkduds » 12 05, 2015 •  [Post 39]

The VX II is an awesome scope, best value in the Leupold line IMO. You may need 10x or more to be effective @ 500 yds. Any shop w a gunsmith should sell you rings and bases, mount and boresight the scope. All the rifle brands you have considered will be drilled/tapped. Since the 270 I was rooting for is off the table, I can reveal that my other rifle is a 7 mm Rem mag, and it is confidence-inspiring for long range accuracy. I shoot 175 gr bullets 'cause my bias was established before partition and bonded bullets were standard. 160 gr is THE elk bullet for 7mag, in bonded or partition construction.
Elkduds

Postby Brendan » 12 05, 2015 •  [Post 40]

If you want to shoot out to 400 or even 500 on big game, I would take the 308 out of the mix. I know I recommended 30-06 earlier, but I might pick 7RM from those choices, with a 300WM or 300WSM as other options.

All new rifles will be set up for scope mounting, but you will need to buy rings. If you buy a scope at the same time, they'll do the install and bore sight for you in the store, but they'll use whatever they have in stock. Depends on what type of place you're buying from.

I've had great luck with Leupold in the past, but am going with a Vortex scope for my next build based on their warranty. Paul might be able to get you a good deal as he's a dealer!
Brendan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 05, 2015 •  [Post 41]

Ya Brendan, I've realized that what I'm after for a rifle will not be a long ranger (just isn't in the cards for this semi-old codger). Want something that won't leave me crying after a day at the range ;) . Thanks for the notes on the scope mounting. I may give old Elknut a jingle and see what he has for a scope.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 06, 2015 •  [Post 42]

I have no patience for too much shopping. Mrs. Phantom accompanied me to the new Bass Pro Shop in Tacoma to pick up a few things. It seems they had a small sale on a particular boom stick I've been looking at... :o :D :P.. Gotta go put a bolt in it and check out the accessories. More to follow...

IMG_2661.JPG
IMG_2661.JPG (148.58 KiB) Viewed 111648 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 06, 2015 •  [Post 43]

Gus is sensing my excitement with whatever is on the counter... Check out the RPM's on that tail!

IMG_2664.JPG
IMG_2664.JPG (106.31 KiB) Viewed 111644 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 06, 2015 •  [Post 44]

Which caliber you may ask? I can't thank you guys enough for all your input on this thread. I ended up with this for a round.

IMG_2665.JPG
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 06, 2015 •  [Post 45]

Due in no small part to your recommendations, I ended up putting this scope on the rifle (with Leupold hardware). Now I've gotta figure out how to work the dang thing :D

IMG_2666.JPG
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 06, 2015 •  [Post 46]

Putting it all together, this is what I ended up with. Weatherby Vanguard Series II, .308, Leupold VX-2 CDS 3X9, a few boxes of ammo (will see how they shoot as a guy on the Hunt WA forum said he had some issues with this ammo not grouping through his Vanguard), a sling, soft rifle case, and I grabbed a long gun cleaning kit (all I have for cleaning gear is for pistols). Anxious to get out to the range as soon as I can. Thanks again to all who chimed in on this thread. The decision to go with a .308 was a tough one between several calibers but I think I'll be happy with the .308. Oh, I've gotta figure out how to use the CDS thingamajig also ;)

Any tips before I head out to fire some rounds? Had the rifle bore sighted when the old boy put on the scope.

IMG_2667.JPG
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 06, 2015 •  [Post 47]

I feel like.................. well, ..........................

Red-Ryder-BB-Gun.jpg
Red-Ryder-BB-Gun.jpg (140.27 KiB) Viewed 111638 times

:D
WapitiTalk1

Postby husky390 » 12 06, 2015 •  [Post 48]

Very nice looking rifle. Enjoy.
husky390

Postby Elkduds » 12 06, 2015 •  [Post 49]

You won't shoot your eye out. Even though you bore-sighted, start 25 yd from target. Some guys clean the bore w brass brush/Hoppe's #9 bore solvent, In from the chamber end w bolt removed to prevent damage to the muzzle crown. After several passes w wet bore brush, then dry patches until clean. A barrel break-in protocol would be to clean after 1st 5 rounds, clean next after 10 more rounds, next after 15. The theory is that the bore will get more accurate w this break-in. I wear hearing protection on the range, to preserve what little hearing I have left. "Ready on the right, ready on the left..."
Elkduds

Postby Rangerz » 12 07, 2015 •  [Post 50]

Congrats!

As mentioned, google up some rifle barrel break-in videos. I would save your brass (might decide to do some reloading).

Don't worry about the CDS till you get the gun broke in and decide on round for it.

Enjoy!
Rangerz

Postby cohunter14 » 12 07, 2015 •  [Post 51]

Good looking rifle RJ! As far as the CDS turrets go, it is pretty simple. Once you zero your rifle, you pop those turrets off and reset them to 0. Then, you simply dial up from there for a longer shot based on a ballistic chart. Here is a quick example using the ammo you purchased. This is for 8,000 feet of altitude, 40 degree temps, and a zero of 2" high at 100 yards:

300 yards: 1.5 MOA
400 yards: 4 MOA
500 yards: 6.75 MOA

So, say you want to shoot something at 400 yards. You simply dial your CDS turret up to 4 MOA, aim dead center, and shoot. I am not sure if all scopes come with this or not, but I know some Leupold scopes offer a free 'custom' CDS turret. That can be set to your exact load and conditions so instead of dialing up to a certain MOA and using a drop chart, you would instead dial your scope based on whatever range you are shooting at. So at 400 yards, you would dial your scope up to the 400 yard setting and shoot. The only thing to be aware of with that kind of a setup is when conditions change from what you had the turret built for.

One other thing to keep in mind with the .308 is that you will lose energy fairly quick. Personally, I try to keep my energy over 1,500 ft/lbs for a shot at an animal. Certain ammo will also have minimum reliable velocities for bullet expansion, which you want to keep an eye on. For the above example of altitude and temp, that bullet would have 1,504 ft/lbs at 500 yards while still carrying 2,125 fps velocity. That would probably be a good maximum in that scenario.

Good luck and enjoy the new toy!
cohunter14

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 07, 2015 •  [Post 52]

Dave, Mark, Chris, Derek.. thanks guys. All makes sense. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 11, 2015 •  [Post 53]

Off to shoot the new big stick tomorrow. Stay behind protective cover ;0
WapitiTalk1

Postby husky390 » 12 14, 2015 •  [Post 54]

Well :?:
husky390

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 15, 2015 •  [Post 55]

I didn't get out on Saturday. I cleaned the barrel SAT morning and decided to check on-line to see what Weatherby recommended for barrel break in procedures and saw this:

TWO BOX BARREL BREAK-IN
This barrel break-in procedure requires two boxes of ammunition to complete. Start out by shooting one round at a time, cleaning the barrel thoroughly after each round and allowing it to cool. This process should be followed for a total of ten rounds.

Then take the remaining thirty rounds and shoot ten three shot groups, cleaning the barrel thoroughly after each group and allowing it to cool completely before firing the next group. Once ten, three shot groups have been fired the barrel is adequately broken in. At this point the rifle can be sighted in and used.

Well, that seem almost excessive but, I'm gonna follow their recommendations so, I need more ammo, ha ha. Also, I didn't want to slow down the flow at the Army range I was heading to with all the shoot/clean/shoot/clean I need to do. I'll probably wait for a somewhat clear day and head to a local gravel pit and perform the recommended procedures.
WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 12 15, 2015 •  [Post 56]

I never broke in a barrel. I was poor in my rifle days. My rifles shoot well. Despite my negligence.

When you do get to the range. Pull the bolt out. Peek down the barrel and aim it at the 100 yard target. You can see it waaay down there. Now look at the scope. If the did a bore sight right they will be pointed at the same thing. Sandbags help. Now you know your first shot will hit paper somewhere.
pointysticks

Postby baddaddy » 12 17, 2015 •  [Post 57]

RJ,

Once you start sighting in try other weights of bullets to see what the gun likes. For the longer ranges I prefer something in the 175/180 grain range. These will retain their energy better down range and have better penetration on elk. Just my .02.
baddaddy

Postby Dr. Rx » 12 17, 2015 •  [Post 58]

Hard to beat 300 WSM 180 gr e tip...devastating..
Suggest a nosler rifle with leupold cds ...

They are simply the best company to deal with.

Kris
Dr. Rx

Postby dotman » 12 17, 2015 •  [Post 59]

Nice RJ, now you can meet me in MT during rifle season :).

I believe that nice smoke pole is made by Howa for Weatherby and they are known to be great rifles. The .308 cal will be plenty out to 500.

I call dibs on your brass, so keep them and send my way! I need more brass for my AR :). Get a few boxes of the cheap Winchester Power Point ammo in 150gr, it shoots very well out of my AR and my buddies Tikka, I just picked up 5 boxes for $16ea the other day plus they have a rebate of $2.50 but it Max's at $5 total per house hold.
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 18, 2015 •  [Post 60]

Good stuff, thanks Tim. I'll look around for that Winchester ammo. Yep, may just have to join you in our old home state one of these years.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Old school » 12 19, 2015 •  [Post 61]

.308 is a good all around caliber and it has mild recoil. Think you will be happy with it. My son shoots a .308 and has killed deer out to 225 yards. We've yet to shoot further than that. We tried about 3 different brands of ammo before we found what his rifle liked best. It's a tack driver.

Congrats on the new rifle

--Mitch
Old school

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 19, 2015 •  [Post 62]

Thanks Mitch. Finally getting out tomorrow to throw some rounds down range.
WapitiTalk1

Postby husky390 » 12 20, 2015 •  [Post 63]

Finally had a chance to play with my two new .308's.

husky390

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 20, 2015 •  [Post 64]

Some sweet looking setups there Dave!
WapitiTalk1

Postby husky390 » 12 20, 2015 •  [Post 65]

Thank you. Hoping to drop a couple Whitetails in two weeks with the AR.
husky390