Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Level

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Level

Postby Kessler10 » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Ho vital do you think having a level on your bow sight is?

I just realized my level had broken loose from my sight. And just thinking how necessary is it?

I know back in the day my dad never used one and seemd to do just fine. And he was far from a professional archer.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Re: Level

Postby pointysticks » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 2]

it's crucial at the further distances.

back in the day..a 60 yard shot was insanity..no? the further the shot is..the further right-left you will shoot. i found that hunting, i am rarely sitting on level ground. it always blows my mind when i think i'm plumb..look at the bubble..and whoa!! let me cant it this way some. the uneven earth throws my mind for a loop.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby jmez » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 3]

If you aren't shooting over 30 yards and on level ground you don't need one.

If you don't hold the bow perfectly level the the pins are going to go / or \. The farther you are shooting the bigger difference is going to make.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Cripes, I had to go check and see if my MBG sight had a level? Just kidding. I use it off and on to see if I'm holding level when locking my pins down after a long off season hiatus but rarely after that.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I generally feel very comfortable without looking at my level. In practice I verify that I am holding level, but it is just occasionally. I shot 24 times this evening. I looked at my level 3 or 4 times. I rarely shoot more than 40 yards.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Brendan » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 6]

It can make a very big difference when the ground isn't level or you're on a sidehill. I rarely look on level ground, but I've checked on some 3D shots where I was canting the bow fairly significantly because of the terrain.

Personally - I'd get it fixed. You could probably put your bow in a bow vice, level the bow using some bubble levels, and then using a little slow-set super glue or epoxy put the bubble level back in place. Tweak it until the level matches your bubble level (I have two of the Hamskea 3rd axis levels I use and can clip to my sight bar for this when setting things up)
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby jmez » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I check mine every shot, be it 10 yards or 100 yards. It is par of my shot sequence. Come to full draw, hit anchor, check level, aim and release. I can always see it in my peripheral vision.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Swede » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Brendan makes a great point. I shoot in my yard and usually from my tree stand. That is different from broken or sloping ground.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics